No announcement yet.

Bird Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We found some dead birds, after the snow melted. I think most were mocking birds.

Comment

We had 7 or 8 slam into our windows over a two day period. It was weird. They never do that. 4 of them died.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
        I found 3 dead ones around the house from the cold. The hawks on the other hand have been slaughtering them the last week. I’ve never seen so many hawk kills. Got a couple trail camera photos of hawks going after doves at the feeders.

We are not seeing hardly any hawks this winter, around where we are. I don't remember seeing any hawks around here, in the last month or longer. I took a trip up 130, to Austin a couple months ago, I saw a lot of hawks on the trip up there and back. 130 is not far from us. I guess where we are, there is not enough open ground for the hawks to do their dive attacks easily.

We got the vultures though, we have multiple dead deer on the sides of the roads, in the area. They are not eating them when they are fresh kills, they are letting them lay for a couple weeks before eating them. I saw two large groups of vultures that found deer that had been dead for weeks, then got buried under the snow, then the snow melted and the deer carcasses, were laying in melted snow and mud. I guess that made for a nice soft, soupy meal for the vultures. They swarmed to those deer and cleaned those deer up. There were nice clean bones left, when they were done. I wonder if the deer did not stink enough for their tastes, so they left them, hoping they would get to smelling more to their liking later on. I have been noticing this for the last two years.

Comment

We had quite a few bird die during the storm also. Saw the hawks around the property get quite a few also.

I found a block of meal worms in the garage & put those out for the birds & it seemed to help them greatly.

They wiped that block out in just a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
            We had 7 or 8 slam into our windows over a two day period. It was weird. They never do that. 4 of them died.
            I think I read that the Robin's were getting drunk on the Yaupon berries. FWI...Flying While Intoxicated!

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              I saw some Canadian geese standing out in a field the day after it got -30 at night. I bet they were thinking they were back home. They're probably thinking about flying to Florida for the Winter next year.
              How do you know they were from Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                How do you know they were from Canada?
                That's crazy. The ones that croaked after hitting my windows were waxwings and mocking birds.

Comment

We had quite a few hitting the windows at our house too. All seemed to survive those encounters. Spent Monday night at MILs house due to us having no power, and Tuesday morning out her kitchen window you could see a small bird froze to death sitting on the neighbors roof under and eave trying to get out of the elements. That was a brutally cold night.

Comment

I hope the blackbird/grackle and European Starlings got hit hard too. Hate those things...

Comment

We had several blood spots in the snow with dead eaten bird remains. It upset the wife as she had put seed out. She thought a predator had got them. While working and looking out her window she saw it all. Bird quit moving and the others ate it!!! Mother Nature is no Joke!

Comment

I put extra feed out each morning. They were all over it, quick! Hopefully helped them get by.

Comment

Working...
                        X