Axis Kill pic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Kill pic?

I may be late on this, but I just heard that the guys in that pic with the dead axis piled in that trailer is getting nailed to the wall because the axis were penned up with no food or shelter? Dont know if thats true or if Im late on the info. Anyone heard anything? I might have gotten bogus info. Just wondering.

They are a very large ranch west of Menard - highly doubt that is true.

Comment

That pic has circulated around like the mountain lion carrying the 10pt. They died here, they died there, this and that. I wouldn’t be surprised if the info was bogus but if it’s true I hope they get nailed!

Comment

It is strange they found so many, over populated/ over grazed area ?
        I did find two fawns dead and fed a ton , but haven’t seen many buzzards back in the pasture
        If someone wants to over graze / over populate and loose $$ on death loss that’s their own problem

Comment

If’n it’s on the interwebs, it’s gotta be true.

Comment

They didn't die because they were in a high fence. They died because of the extreme cold. We lost a bunch on our LOW fence lease last week too.

Comment

I dont know. Im just going on what a buddy told me this morning. I thought it was a place near Leakey, or Mountain Home some place? Could be bogus info. He told me about it this morning so I figured I'd ask the green screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                They didn't die because they were in a high fence. They died because of the extreme cold. We lost a bunch on our LOW fence lease last week too.

It’s not as simple as that.

You’re not considering a high fence day ranch that’s overgrazed, little or no cover to get out of the wind, snow, and ice. Sure the cold killed many animals, but the fact that they were trapped and at the mercy of the landowner could definitely play a role in their survival

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                  If’n it’s on the interwebs, it’s gotta be true.
                  ^^^^
                  Aint no telling what actually happened since everyone has run with a different version

Comment

Originally posted by tlh2865 View Post
                    ^^^^
                    Aint no telling what actually happened since everyone has run with a different version
                    And who cares, it's no one's business that someone's live stock died.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      It’s not as simple as that.

You’re not considering a high fence day ranch that’s overgrazed, little or no cover to get out of the wind, snow, and ice. Sure the cold killed many animals, but the fact that they were trapped and at the mercy of the landowner could definitely play a role in their survival
                      If anything I would suspect the animals in high fences faired better. Usually more/better feed and water for them. Also lots of times those ranches have people onsite that can help. For example the ranch manager could put out more fed, break up water troughs, and provide hay for bedding. Anything proactive in this kind of a storm is very beneficial to survival rates.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                        If anything I would suspect the animals in high fences faired better. Usually more/better feed and water for them. Also lots of times those ranches have people onsite that can help. For example the ranch manager could put out more fed, break up water troughs, and provide hay for bedding. Anything proactive in this kind of a storm is very beneficial to survival rates.
                        They are not all cared for the same. Some of those pics on the internet with trailer loads of dead animals where off high fenced ranches.

Comment

We had enough for a couple trailer loads of dead ones on our low fence place too. It was cold on both sides of the fence. And it had been really dry all fall and winter on both sides of the fence.
                          Last edited by Shane; 02-23-2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            They are not all cared for the same. Some of those pics on the internet with trailer loads of dead animals where off high fenced ranches.
                            Agree 100% I was just guessing that more high fence ranches probably had full time ranch hands to help during the storm. Might not be true, just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                              Agree 100% I was just guessing that more high fence ranches probably had full time ranch hands to help during the storm. Might not be true, just a guess.
                              Most of them feed a LOT more free choice protein than most low fence places do as well. Some low fence ranches feed tons of protein too though. And some high fence places don't feed near enough and are overgrazed and overpopulated and stressed.

But it was super cold on all of them last week, and lots of axis died on every kind of ranch. If a high fence place was overpopulated and under-fed, I'm sure they lost a lot more than everybody else. But everybody lost some. Sucks.

I wonder how long axis can go without water. I know axis like to live close to water. Maybe it wasn't the cold as much as the frozen water that got them? I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X