Oak Tree Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oak Tree Leaves

I have never seen all of the Live Oak Tree leaves turn brown. I am located S/W of Austin. Drove into my neighborhood yesterday afternoon & noticed all of the Oak trees were brown, Milk chocolate brown. I guess we will be raking leaves for a while. Hope all the trees make it.
    Anyone else notice this around the state?

Yep, I noticed it here. I am out by Liberty Hill. I think it is a combination of... close to the time they drop their leaves and the ice storm.

Comment

Same here in Round Rock - not something we see normally!

Comment

Same here in S Austin...hope my trees make it too. Hopefully one of the resident TBH arborists can provide some info/feedback.

Comment

Just spoke to a local tree farm and they have $20M in losses from Live Oaks.

Comment

My arborists said they are all in shock mode. Will drop their leaves soon and put on new leaves in the next month or 2. His words “might be a little rough sleddin for a while”.

He believes they will survive. We just planed 100 at the ranch and have some large native ones as well. All look like this.
            Attached Files

Comment

All of my live oaks look the same way. I really really hope that this doesn't kill them all. All of mine are very mature trees.

Comment

All my monterreys turned brown. Chickapins were budding yet.

Comment

Back in 83 and 89, I know it was cold for a long time, but was there the ice and snow accumulation during those years? I'm too young to remember.

It scares me that these tress had 1/2" of ice covering every inch of them for almost a week.

Comment

Hopefully, the warm weather and sunshine, will help nature heal itself.

Comment

All of mine look the same out at the house.

Comment

Hopefully they drop all those leaves & grow new ones quick.
                        Let's all pray if the little white moths laid eggs in them, they all froze & fall with the leaves. Last thing we need is a bunch of worms eating the new growth.

Comment

From what I understand, they are in shock and should make it (unless they are subject to another bad drought this summer or something like that).

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                            Back in 83 and 89, I know it was cold for a long time, but was there the ice and snow accumulation during those years? I'm too young to remember.

It scares me that these tress had 1/2" of ice covering every inch of them for almost a week.
                            If covered in ice before the coldest weather hit, I would think that would be a good thing - should have provided some much needed insulation that way,

Comment

It happens every year around Abilene. They shed leaves a couple times a year. A hard freeze will do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X