No announcement yet.

Need help....Gas vs. diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the benefits of deleting the diesel and how does it affect any warranties?

Comment

Keep it.
      The moment you lift and put 35”+ tires on the 7.3 or any other gas engine, you’re mileage will plummet also.

Delete it and put shorter tires on it and hang on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those f250's seem to have so much more space inside them compared to a 1/2 ton....maybe this is why he wants the gas in the f250? Or when you hear the horror stories of the fuel system or injectors going out on the diesels...

Comment

I've driven diesels for the past 15 years. I'm thru with them because of the DEF system and added expense for a simple oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Yes, you are "Missing" something and it's not related to a vehicle. Unless you have 200k+ plus miles on your 2017, why sell it? If you trade it in, you're getting raked over the coals from a monetary aspect. If it's not paid for, you will have it paid for shortly (unless you re-financed it with a longer term, which requires a whole lot of further discussion). That motor and Trans should last well over 350k miles. Keep the dang truck and be happy you don't have a $1,300 monthly note on a $70k new one.

It sounds like you "want" a new truck but in reality you don't "need" a new truck.
            I've "wanted" a new truck for several years now. Every time I look at the prices I get disgusted and quit looking for a while. Especially post covid. 60k to get a basic SXT 6.7

Truth of it, my 07 2500 gasser will do majority of the work I need. Bigger loads I'm able to bum my father's 6.7.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
              Those f250's seem to have so much more space inside them compared to a 1/2 ton....maybe this is why he wants the gas in the f250? Or when you hear the horror stories of the fuel system or injectors going out on the diesels...
              The newer crew F150’s have more cab space than my 2016 F250 crew

Comment

room

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                The newer crew F150’s have more cab space than my 2016 F250 crew
                Yep, just learned something today! I looked it up and the last few years, the cab is same on both...I wouldn't have thought that.

Comment

Need help....Gas vs. diesel

I went from a 6.7 power stroke to a new 6.2 gas f250 and after 20k miles I absolutely love the gas! I pull a 30’ camper, utv and 26’ boat. It pulls great and fuel mileage isn’t terrible, oh and oil changes are way cheaper!! Plus no DEF etc. All my diesel owning friends comment on how smooth and quiet the gas truck is too. Overall I’m definitely pleased especially since it was $11k less than diesel.

I traded in my 15’ f250 with 203k miles on it very similar to yours

Comment

What’s your time worth?

Diesel truck needs oil and filters every 15,000 miles versus every 3,000-5,000 miles in a gas truck. This equates to an oil change every month in a gas truck versus 3 a year in diesel truck.

Diesel truck can have an auxiliary fuel tank which is not available in a gas truck. Miles per fill up in a diesel truck 1000 versus 300 in a gas truck. Based on your 40,000 miles driven a year, that is an additional 93 times a year you have to stop and buy fuel.

That’s why I drive a diesel.

Yes, diesels costs more to own and operate. But for me the trade off is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
                      I went from a 6.7 power stroke to a new 6.2 gas f250 and after 20k miles I absolutely love the gas! I pull a 30’ camper, utv and 26’ boat. It pulls great and fuel mileage isn’t terrible, oh and oil changes are way cheaper!! Plus no DEF etc. All my diesel owning friends comment on how smooth and quiet the gas truck is too. Overall I’m definitely pleased especially since it was $11k less than diesel.

I traded in my 15’ f250 with 203k miles on it very similar to yours
                      My 2016 is 6.2 gas. Lariat Ultimate 4x4. Love everything about it but the gas mileage. 10 town 12 highway. Buy way cheaper to operate than my last 2 diesels. I’m kind of curious about the 7.3 gas but I’ll probably put 34-36 in tires on it so it will probably not be to good either. And I’m not paying $65K plus for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                        If all you are pulling is a SxS or a boat you don’t NEED a 3/4 ton diesel or gas truck. A WANT is a different thing though.

You don’t need it and there is no scenario where you can come out ahead money-wise when you compare the up front cost and the daily fuel cost.

If you just want to roll in a 3/4 ton and have the money then get after it though. A man should be able to spend his money as he sees fit. Just don’t try and fool yourself that that it’s needed. Be honest and just say you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Wise advice.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like we are similar on yearly mileage. I’ve been doing this for a long time and monthly notes are scary at first, but what works for me is finance for 36 months. What I have found is I’m 135-150,000 on mileage and resale on the diesel is way ahead of gas. I don’t buy any extended warranties and shop for best interest rate and refi after 2-months of whatever interest rate they come up with. I’m only concerned with the price of the truck. When I get ready for a new truck I consider trade in and selling outright. Consider the sales tax difference on this also.

Comment

Last edited by Reel cajun; 02-23-2021, 07:36 AM. Reason: Double

Comment

Brandon, I think you should go ahead and get a 7.3. That way you can put a few years on it before I'm ready for a new truck and you can help my decision of gas vs diesel.

You and I are in the same line of work, with similar driving habits/needs I'm sure. I had an f150 for 11 years before getting this 2017 F250, 6.7L. The gas truck pulled everything I needed. But dang it was a dog in the hills. If Ford had the 7.3 available back when I got this 6.7, I likely would have bought it instead and probably would have been really happy with it. But now after owning this beast for 4 years it will be really hard to go back to a gas truck.

Comment

We've had 2 guys both get the 7.3 gas for work trucks. Each owned a 6.7 for personal. Within 3 months in the gas for work, the 6.7's were traded in for gassers. Seeing 14.8-16.2 on mpg in instrument cluster. For what its worth. Also, check the value of your truck. The used market is sellers market right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X