Lost Buck - What Went Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
    Michael, that is truly one of your best videos yet! The emotion from Hanna was so amazing! You are such a great dad for the time that you spend afield with your daughters, as well as capturing these moments on video. You are a great example of what a father should be in my opinion! As far as the shot goes, and having had this happen to me more than I care to admit I always wait for the deer to bring that front leg forward to open the vitals.
    This is the kindest compliment you could possibly give. I sincerely appreciate that.

I almost always wait for a deer's leg to be forward before taking the shot, as well. In the video, I instructed Hannah to do the same. Technically, after the deer jumped at the other deer's "sneeze", both legs were forward.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

You two have a had a dream father/daughter season, thanks for letting us come along. Hate it for Hannah, glad she talked to others. If you bow hunt - you've been there, a tough feeling to deal with. Chin up and you get to go do it again soon. We are all rooting for you!

PS - I would have lost money on that blood trail, looked like a sure thing.

Comment

Michael, top notch and an Excellent Teaching Video!! Nothing better than having your kids as hunting buddies!! Your production/editing skills are really first class to go with the equipment you use! (Jealous!! )

Regarding the shot, good old 20/20 hind sight says wait til they pick their head up, and put that on-side leg forward, but then again, that's hindsight. The shot was deceptively back, but even after watching the original "short" version of your video, I'd have bet money on dead deer, and you got the best in the trackin' business in to complete the deal... Not much else you could do in my estimation... I still am shocked hat Roy's dog did not find that deer, alive or dead. I only have to assume that the dog was just not up to his usual self after having been on a long track just before doing Hannah's... Maybe a different dog at a different point would have ended in a recovered deer, but like I said, you had the best in the business there!
        Sure appreciate all the time and effort you put into the production of these videos for us all to watch and learn from!!
        Thanks!

Comment

What a great video. Though not the final result either of you had planned, I think you did a very good job on illustrating what hunting is to your family. If you look at the glass half full, that's a video of an incredible time a father and daughter got to spend together. I was really pulling for Hannah this season. She put in more time in the field than most people. She's bound to run into some good luck sooner than later, and when that time comes, it will be a well earned success.

As far as what I'd do different? It's a whole lot easier to arm chair quarterback the shot from the climate controlled couch and no adrenaline running through the veins, than in the moment. I feel, in regards to most south texas bucks, adjusting your point of aim in anticipation of him reacting to the shot is kind of a 50/50 deal. I prefer not to do it most times. If she aimed dead center of the lungs, that would give her the highest margin of error. If he does duck and you hit too high and/or forward, it's probable the deer will survive. Too far low and back is certain death and a more difficult trail. Regardless, this is a part of hunting we all experience. All there is to do is reload and shoot another one.

Comment

Although, not the outcome any of us wanted for her....this was one of your best pieces of film production. Hanna has been very impressive this year with her dedication to time spent practicing and sits waiting on "green light".

I simply can not wait until next season. I see that 10 "with kickers" ending up on your wall

"I want him more than a boyfriend!" Totally cracked me up!!!

Comment

Good video and one hell of a due diligence job in recovery attempt. We've all been there, one thing I think bowhunters should concentrate on is shooting the deadly V tight to the shoulder. From my experience and others seems like a marginal shot is always "back".

Comment

Outstanding vid!! The emotion really is the best part...for the recovery, that happens with all methods & part of being a hunter like stated.

Ya know, you really are truly blessed to have hunting memories with your kids Michael...mine just never got into it. My Dad couldn't get out for a men only hunt/fish without me screaming & getting dragged by clutching his ankle. I think Kenny killed a deer just to make me happy.

The Bible says to raise your children in 'their own way' & have two great kids...you & mama have it rock solid nailed down!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
                  Michael, that is truly one of your best videos yet! The emotion from Hanna was so amazing! You are such a great dad for the time that you spend afield with your daughters, as well as capturing these moments on video. You are a great example of what a father should be in my opinion! As far as the shot goes, and having had this happen to me more than I care to admit I always wait for the deer to bring that front leg forward to open the vitals.
                  Words well spoken here. ^^^ Great video and truly part of a bowhunting experience. Memories for life

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Michael, top notch and an Excellent Teaching Video!! Nothing better than having your kids as hunting buddies!! Your production/editing skills are really first class to go with the equipment you use! (Jealous!! )

Regarding the shot, good old 20/20 hind sight says wait til they pick their head up, and put that on-side leg forward, but then again, that's hindsight. The shot was deceptively back, but even after watching the original "short" version of your video, I'd have bet money on dead deer, and you got the best in the trackin' business in to complete the deal... Not much else you could do in my estimation... I still am shocked hat Roy's dog did not find that deer, alive or dead. I only have to assume that the dog was just not up to his usual self after having been on a long track just before doing Hannah's... Maybe a different dog at a different point would have ended in a recovered deer, but like I said, you had the best in the business there!
                    Sure appreciate all the time and effort you put into the production of these videos for us all to watch and learn from!!
                    Thanks!

It wasn’t Roy’s top dog (Rufus.) I don’t know that he would have found it, but unfortunately he wasn’t available. Roy, John and the younger dog definitely put in the effort to find it.

Thanks, as always, for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bone View Post
                      What a great video. Though not the final result either of you had planned, I think you did a very good job on illustrating what hunting is to your family. If you look at the glass half full, that's a video of an incredible time a father and daughter got to spend together. I was really pulling for Hannah this season. She put in more time in the field than most people. She's bound to run into some good luck sooner than later, and when that time comes, it will be a well earned success.

As far as what I'd do different? It's a whole lot easier to arm chair quarterback the shot from the climate controlled couch and no adrenaline running through the veins, than in the moment. I feel, in regards to most south texas bucks, adjusting your point of aim in anticipation of him reacting to the shot is kind of a 50/50 deal. I prefer not to do it most times. If she aimed dead center of the lungs, that would give her the highest margin of error. If he does duck and you hit too high and/or forward, it's probable the deer will survive. Too far low and back is certain death and a more difficult trail. Regardless, this is a part of hunting we all experience. All there is to do is reload and shoot another one.

Thanks Justin. Thanks, also, for letting us essentially monopolize the blind you set up at 7.5! Hannah obviously loves the setup.

As I was watching through the tracking footage I was reminded that Hannah mentioned that she wished you were in camp, not only for your tracking skills, but because of the encouragement you always gave her during the season. I thought that was pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

No doubt a wonderful video and more importantly, amazing father daughter time! What a good duo! Keep them coming and tell her to keep after it!

Comment

The shot on the doe, as shallow as it penetrated and where it hit, I would say it hit vertebrae, but did not have the energy to penetrate the vertebrae.

On the buck, the shot was definitely low, but it should have gotten some lung, but possibly not much lung, may have just got the very bottom edge of the lungs. I say buck, I should say deer with antlers. Not 100% sure that was a buck, no nuts hanging, when it spun, but maybe they sucked up inside, because of the pain.

The broadhead the best I could tell was fixed blade, so a broadhead not opening does not seem to be a factor.
                          Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 02-22-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Awesome video! Memories of a lifetime there and it’s all recorded! Very well done, regardless of the outcome, there’s lots of good here and Hanna will be back stronger then ever. Good stuff Michael!

Comment

I really like how you got right to the action. You hooked me with it. Now I HAD to see if she got the buck . Sorry, she did not. But I know of no bowhunter who is perfect. Hang in there Hanna, do not get bummed out. We have all been there. Great times with the family and the vids keep getting better Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                I haven't checked it recently, but I believe she's somewhere between 40-45#. I upped it a little during the season. I think she can handle more and that's one thing we're going to increase as we practice. We also want to extend her comfortable target range out beyond 30 yards.

I happen to think a Jak Hammer would have made a difference here. I was reluctant to put a mechanical on her low poundage bow, but even as is the Avail is efficient enough to punch through a whitetail. I ordered her a pack of JH's immediately after this hunt.
                                I’m curious as to her setup also. Poundage, arrow weight, speed KE,/ momentum.

Comment

Working...
                                X