Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
    Maybe I should get a Tundra
    I have a tundra and I love it, if fuel mileage is a concern look elsewhere.

With 35's not towing I'm getting like 12-13 mpg
    Last edited by slicktree; 02-21-2021, 10:30 PM.

Comment

If you drive to the office and back home get a 1/2 ton Ford- Eco boost
      It you tow anything, anywhere, get the 3/4ton 6.7 diesel.
      There is no comparison in towing, payload, stopping, ect. Any vehicle can get the mass moving, however when it comes time to stop. You better be in a real truck!!!! Personal experience and I will never own a 1/2 ton again. 2000 7.3 327,000 miles. and still rolling. Sam J

Comment

Diesel has higher resale value.

If you are concerned with mileage don’t get a gasser. My 2019 gets 19/20mpg on the highway. Maybe don’t put 37s on the new one.

Comment

Delete the 17. You're not gonna be happy with the gasser, especially if you put 37" tires on it.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
            Diesel has higher resale value.
            I see this comment all the time when these discussions come up, and it’s really a no brainer. If your paying a $10k+/- upcharge for the diesel off the lot, IT SHOULD HAVE A HIGHER RESALE VALUE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slicktree View Post
              I have a tundra and I love it, if fuel mileage is a concern look elsewhere.

With 35's not towing I'm getting like 12-13 mpg
              What year is it?

That’s about what I get in my diesel

Comment

1/2 Ton Gas for sure. If your not hauling anything heavy I don’t see why a 3/4 Ton would hold up better. After reading your post seems like we have very similar driving situations expect change out ranches for plant construction sites. Ive been very pleased with my 1/2 Ton gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

what year is it?

That’s about what i get in my diesel

Comment

Coming from 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels to a 2019 Tundra myself. All I haul is a trailer with a sxs or a couple mowers and it's plenty of power. I have towed a kubota 33hp tractor with it a couple times and it done great with that also. Put a set of $400 air bags under it and you will have enough truck to do what ever you want.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                      You probably don’t “need” a diesel, but you’ll miss the power of the 6.7 if you go to a gasser.

This plus you aren’t going to see any increase in fuel mileage especially if
                      you lift it and run 37s again.

The miles you drive per year aren’t concerning to me as long as you keep up with proper maintenance. My son is still driving my 04 Z71 with 322k miles on it.

But I will say we have to replace something in the front end every 18-24 months. We just replaced the upper control arms and one of the CV boots over the weekend.

Also if you do decide gas, the 6.6L Chevy doesn’t have near the balls the 7.3L does. The towing test up the Ike Gauntlet was pretty poor actually in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Need help....Gas vs. diesel

I’ve put 130,000 in 2 years on my ecoboost and I’m the hardest guy on trucks I know. Oilfield and Ranch work.

Previous truck was a 1 ton 6.7 powerstroke. No regrets.

Brakes Evey 60-70k and I run royal purple oil. Has not missed a beat. Thought I would be totally disappointed but this thing kicks butt. Way smoother, more than plenty of power, kicks butt off-road.

I tow a Skidsteer regularly and a 24’ RV. 8MPG towing usually around 70 mph and I’m on 35’s

Last edited by bowfishin fool; 02-22-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Right on the line of probably/possibly getting a new truck in the next week.

Right now in a 17’ super duty 6.7 diesel

Pros: gobs of power, very off road capable compared to my 7.3 liter power stroke, fast, fun to drive. Will tow anything And is a tough truck

Cons: drinks fuel, with 37’s I’m getting anywhere from 12-14 mpg. Diesel cost is higher, upfront cost is higher and maintenance is higher. Basically it’s more expensive to run across the board.

I like my truck. The reason for me getting a new truck has nothing to do with my old truck per se, but it may be the right time to trade it off.

Looked at replacing it with the exact same truck, and they wanted $70k for it, which I am not willing to do. I sold my big travel trailer so the heaviest I tow on the reg is my UTV , but I tow it several days a week. My work life consists of lots of high way miles countered with lots of slow driving on caliche ranch road or rough ranch roads, a lot of dirt county roads thrown in. This is about everyday

Been looking at the 7.3 liter gas ford crew cab. Have heard good things about the Chevy AT4 2500, but I’m a bit leery of Chevy and their IFS set up, I don’t believe it’s a durable.

Want to stick with the 3/4 ton platform as I believe it holds up better to my lifestyle.

Am I missing something ( other than future resale) or it is it a pretty clear choice a 3/4 ton gas truck is the way to go over the diesel?

Yes, you are "Missing" something and it's not related to a vehicle. Unless you have 200k+ plus miles on your 2017, why sell it? If you trade it in, you're getting raked over the coals from a monetary aspect. If it's not paid for, you will have it paid for shortly (unless you re-financed it with a longer term, which requires a whole lot of further discussion). That motor and Trans should last well over 350k miles. Keep the dang truck and be happy you don't have a $1,300 monthly note on a $70k new one.

It sounds like you "want" a new truck but in reality you don't "need" a new truck.

Comment

I'm with the "keep what you got" crowd on this one. If you like it, keep it. I was in the same boat as you when I traded my 2015 Silverado for a 2019 Silverado. I ended up with a newer truck that I really didn't like.

I'm now in the new AT4 duramax and love it.

Comment

"Want" vs. "Need" ?

Keep it IMO

Comment

everybody thinks they need a diesel these days when everyone pulled the same loads they pull with a 1/2 tons for years. long story short the gas will be just fine. I have had both and can say yes, you may notice the power difference but not enough to justify the cost. this summer we went to New Mexico and i was in my gas F250 and my friend was in his diesel hauling very similar loads. similar trailer and sxs in tow and i was very surprised that our fuel economy was very similar. I drove diesels for 15 years because i hauled every day and now i dont but i still tow heavy loads on the weekend (tractor, hay, etc) im just fine with the gas performance and it does better off road without the anchor of an engine up front

Comment

Working...
                                X