Need help....Gas vs. diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right on the line of probably/possibly getting a new truck in the next week.

Right now in a 17’ super duty 6.7 diesel

Pros: gobs of power, very off road capable compared to my 7.3 liter power stroke, fast, fun to drive. Will tow anything And is a tough truck

Cons: drinks fuel, with 37’s I’m getting anywhere from 12-14 mpg. Diesel cost is higher, upfront cost is higher and maintenance is higher. Basically it’s more expensive to run across the board.

I like my truck. The reason for me getting a new truck has nothing to do with my old truck per se, but it may be the right time to trade it off.

Looked at replacing it with the exact same truck, and they wanted $70k for it, which I am not willing to do. I sold my big travel trailer so the heaviest I tow on the reg is my UTV , but I tow it several days a week. My work life consists of lots of high way miles countered with lots of slow driving on caliche ranch road or rough ranch roads, a lot of dirt county roads thrown in. This is about everyday

Been looking at the 7.3 liter gas ford crew cab. Have heard good things about the Chevy AT4 2500, but I’m a bit leery of Chevy and their IFS set up, I don’t believe it’s a durable.

Want to stick with the 3/4 ton platform as I believe it holds up better to my lifestyle.

Am I missing something ( other than future resale) or it is it a pretty clear choice a 3/4 ton gas truck is the way to go over the diesel?
    Last edited by txtrophy85; 02-21-2021, 08:52 PM.

If all you tow is a utv you definitely don’t need a diesel, diesel prices are on the rise also so going to be over 3.00 within the next 6 months.

The 7.3 gas should do just fine

Comment

I also should add I drive a lot....40k + a year

Comment

We looked and I read. A bunch!

Even with 21' center console and a 25' camper we ended up with 7.3 gas. 500 miles on it and we like it. We don't tow far or long enough to justify the extra costs.

Coming from 6.2 chevy 1/2 ton and diesel before that

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You probably don’t “need” a diesel, but you’ll miss the power of the 6.7 if you go to a gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol, no truck is "fast".

Get the diesel. Delete it. You will be glad you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
              You probably don’t “need” a diesel, but you’ll miss the power of the 6.7 if you go to a gasser.

This my 6.7 seems to never run out of power

Comment

I think you’ll miss the power...even pulling lighter loads...

Comment

If all you are pulling is a SxS or a boat you don’t NEED a 3/4 ton diesel or gas truck. A WANT is a different thing though.

You don’t need it and there is no scenario where you can come out ahead money-wise when you compare the up front cost and the daily fuel cost.

If you just want to roll in a 3/4 ton and have the money then get after it though. A man should be able to spend his money as he sees fit. Just don’t try and fool yourself that that it’s needed. Be honest and just say you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                    If all you are pulling is a SxS or a boat you don’t NEED a 3/4 ton diesel or gas truck. A WANT is a different thing though.

You don’t need it and there is no scenario where you can come out ahead money-wise when you compare the up front cost and the daily fuel cost.

If you just want to roll in a 3/4 ton and have the money then get after it though. A man should be able to spend his money as he sees fit. Just don’t try and fool yourself that that it’s needed. Be honest and just say you want it.

Im extremely hard on vehicles and the 3 half tons I had prior to this didn’t hold up near as well as either of my 3/4 tons. They are just stouter components. It’s not about the towing it’s about the daily abuse it’s given

In a perfect world I would have a bronco or jeep for work and a truck for my hunting trips

Comment

Get ya a half ton. I love my new Chevrolet and loved the eco boost before it. Ride is much better and it pulls everything (including my 55hp tractor) I own just fine! If money is not an issue and you just want a 3/4 ton then get ya a diesel! I personally wouldn’t drive a 3/4 ton gas, let’s face it diesels are so much cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                        Get ya a half ton. I love my new Chevrolet and loved the eco boost before it. Ride is much better and it pulls everything (including my 55hp tractor) I own just fine! If money is not an issue and you just want a 3/4 ton then get ya a diesel! I personally wouldn’t drive a 3/4 ton gas, let’s face it diesels are so much cooler!

Maybe I should get a Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                          Im extremely hard on vehicles and the 3 half tons I had prior to this didn’t hold up near as well as either of my 3/4 tons. They are just stouter components. It’s not about the towing it’s about the daily abuse it’s given

In a perfect world I would have a bronco or jeep for work and a truck for my hunting trips
                          We run Tundras hard on lease roads day in and day out for 250k miles before we retire them. They hold up as well as any 3/4 or 1 ton I’ve ran at previous companies, and none are treated fairly. They’re all abused daily.

At my previous companies we retired trucks at 160K at one company and 200K at the other. Our current is 250K now that we’re running Tundras, and our goal was 200k before when we ran GMS. Half the time we made it and other times we didn’t. Even if we made it they took major repairs. That hasn’t been the case with the Tundra.

Comment

This is way they are 80 grand now.

Comment

How many miles on the 2017? Is it paid for? I would prolly keep it. Great trucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X