Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the one “prepper” item you will go buy soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shark bite, or compression fittings for 1/2" copper mostly for the neighbors, and maybe a few for myself if needed... in-laws had a burst, I was lucky and found a compression ball valve to get them water

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
      I think this was talked about earlier or another thread, but was thinking they were saying 1-1.5 hrs per gallon or more based on demand. Seems a 20# was only lasting a few hours.

I thought of getting a conversion kit, but at that usage I would need 100 tanks vs 30 gallons of gas. Prepper part says tanks store better than gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      On average a propane powered generator is going to use 2-3 gallons per hour depending on load. If you ran the generator 24 hours straight (which you probably won't) you would 50-70 gallons in a 24 hour period.

I would suggest at least three 100 lb. tanks. 100 lb tanks hold 23 gallons of propane. That would give you about 70 gallons.

A better choice would be a 250 gallon tank which will hold about 210 gallons. I would also keep 30-50 gallons......or more..... of gasoline on hand as a back up to the propane and for your vehicles.

You can rent a propane tank from your propane distributor. Some propane companies supply the tank for free as long as you buy their propane. Our 500 gallon tank costs us $48.00 a year. The propane company does any maintenance or repair required.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm pulling all my buried water lines up, they are 1" pvc. Then I'm going to lay 2 3/8 tubing from pump house to living quarters inlet and insert my pex inside. Then I'll install a gas water heater in pump house that will be able to feed the tubing. If there is ever a inline freeze I'll run hot water through 2 3/8 tubing to get pex unfrozen, thus never having to repair another water line. Project starts tomorrow...

tending the fire,
        Bob G.

Comment

Anyone looking to add to their preparedness don't forget about the tax free weekend on emergency supplies

Information about emergency preparation supplies that can be purchased tax free on this year's tax holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
            Our home was built in 1990. We just redid the entire home with PEX and it performed flawless. Easy install too

We installed PEX in our house 2016, had a couple issues with fittings in the 1st 6 months. I wasn't real sure about it until this freeze..... We have a well and had power about half the time. I left every faucet dripping including shower heads. We had zero issues with our pipes. Nothing to replace or repair! Everyone I know that had pvc has some kind of busted pipe. So I've been helping fix everyone elses pipes now!! Lol

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Comment

Does all that replace your existing breaker panel? Or is it hooked up in addition to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
                I'm pulling all my buried water lines up, they are 1" pvc. Then I'm going to lay 2 3/8 tubing from pump house to living quarters inlet and insert my pex inside. Then I'll install a gas water heater in pump house that will be able to feed the tubing. If there is ever a inline freeze I'll run hot water through 2 3/8 tubing to get pex unfrozen, thus never having to repair another water line. Project starts tomorrow...

tending the fire,

Bob G.
                If you are going to rework your lines just go deeper and bury them below the frost line. There are charts that tell what the frost line is thru out the country. Here in SE Iowa all water lines are buried a minimum of 4 feet deep.

Our service from the meter pit into the house is polyethylene pipe. The service hits the manifold then everything branches out in PEX. We ran everything.... including the main service in HDPE sleeves. If anything ever fails we can pull out the bad line and replace it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced...909073#overlay

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Whole home NG generator. Guys are coming next week.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    Anyone looking to add to their preparedness don't forget about the tax free weekend on emergency supplies

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/...ns/98-1017.php
                    Thanks for the heads up, I didn’t even know this was a thing. I’ll be picking up a small dual fuel generator

Comment

Hopefully you didn't pay those prices because they're insane!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                        Does all that replace your existing breaker panel? Or is it hooked up in addition to?
                        Yes it does.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                          Hopefully you didn't pay those prices because they're insane!
                          NO! Wow! It was 2018, don't recall what I paid, I know for sure it wasn't $800+, that is insane.

Check this out.https://www.paosdj.com/reliance-cont...440b9b6f80711c
                          Last edited by RedRocker; 02-20-2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                            NO! Wow! It was 2018, don't recall what I paid, I know for sure it wasn't $800+, that is insane.

Check this out.https://www.paosdj.com/reliance-cont...440b9b6f80711c

Price history tells it all

Comment

Take advantage of the situation much? Good grief.

Comment

Don’t forget your cord for your transfer switch. I bought a 50 ft 50 amp cord 125/250 volt, 6 gage four wire. It’s made by Generac. I believe it cost me around $360.00 bucks. Got it long enough to keep my generator out of the elements. Power went on and off so used the generator and ran the fireplace on low at night so neighbors wouldn’t have to listen to generator all night as well as us. Then we busted a water line. I found the leak, cut the pvc and valved it off. Have water back now.
                                As I’ve stated before, we had an estimate on a whole house Generac 22k for 11,000.00. We’re going to revisit that and maybe install a smaller one.

Comment

Working...
                                X