Drift trike build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drift trike build

Alright, who was lucky enough to have a Big Wheel as a kid? Remember pedaling as hard as you could then pulling the handbrake and spinning out? The boy and I decided to make one, but that pedaling business sounds like a lot of work, so decided to go with a 6hp Predator engine. We haven’t started on the frame yet, but I imagine we’ll get the box section done this weekend. I’ll post pics as we go, and hopefully this will all come together in a video of us peeling out and drifting like maniacs. Here goes nothing!

First we got a live axle kit from BMI Karts. Axle, bearing, drive gear, chain, and clutch.

Next we bought the Predator engine from Harbor Freight. These are Honda copies, and they have a great reputation for reliability at a cheap price.

Then we had to find a donor bike. Couple different ways to approach this part. Either go cheap and get one free or at a pawn shop, or buy a new bike simply to destroy it. When I looked at the cost of the project I decided I didn’t want everything else to be new and shiny and then have some crappy old front end on it. So I bit the bullet and spent a little extra on a new bike. I did get it on a Christmas sale, but it went out of stock and didn’t come in until today. I picked this one because of the steel frame for welding and front disk brake. These scooters can go over 35-40, and stopping is....important. The fat tire I think will give a nicer ride and hopefully more traction for when we turn sharp to whip the back end around. We’re going to keep the forks, handle bars, and down tube. The rest is getting chopped. Kind of a waste, but I am not a good enough fabricator to build my own forks and headset.

Young’n getting ready to roll it out of the shop for a test drive.

We still need a rear brake disc and caliper, kill switch for the engine, throttle and linkage, and the back two wheels, tires, and plastic sleeves for the tires to let them drift. It’ll be an adventure, but it should be cool.

And speaking of cool, I naturally had to show the boy he’s got a long ways to go to be as cool as his old man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, let it roll!! Or should I say drift??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Going to be cool.

Comment

Gooooooood luck - sounds like some fun!

Comment

This is going to be awesome.

Comment

In to follow. Can’t wait to see it

Comment

The big wheel brought up many great memories. This build should be as slick as the tires.

Comment

My boy got a big wheel for Christmas this year . I wore many of them out as a kid .

Comment

been wanting one of these for a while now

Comment

Following this for sure......

Comment

Thats gonna be a lot of fun !! Cool build

Comment

Following.

I hope you get it all finished and all the kinks worked out in time to build us some to buy for summer.

Comment

Going to be a fun project!!

Comment

Finally got started yesterday. Weather, chores, and honestly other fun things got in the way of making those first cuts. Also wanting to make precise angle cuts but not having the right saw was a little bit of inertia to overcome. But we got the frame rails done yesterday. I just put in the end caps on the square tubing with what I would like to call some rather shameful welding. Let’s just say it was good enough to be strong and and good enough that I’ll probably need a new flap disc.

I’ve got measurements to confirm first, but we’re about to start on what we’re calling the “wings”. These will be 45 degree supports coming off the back bumper and going out to a short section of tubing that will serve as the axle support then a 45 back in. One on each side, hence they will look like wings.

We considered bending the tubing, but the critical thing about this project is that it has to be symmetrical on the left and right to keep the axle perpendicular to the frame. Having never done a project with round tubing (and quite frankly we’re cheating and treating it as square tubing), I wasn’t confident I could get the repeatability needed from a crappy HF tube bender. So, we’re cutting and welding it.

We’re using 1.25” tubing with 1/8” thickness. I think probably overkill, but as I always say, overbuilding it will make up for the poor craftsmanship, lol.

Here’s the general layout. Not exactly it, I thing everything will probably be scooted forward a bit, but you get the general idea. Hopefully today we’ll get the wings installed and the axle hangers mounted. We’re running the axle over the frame instead of under it, hopefully to help it drift better...and reduce the chance of a rollover.

This thing ain’t ever gonna run anywhere other than a parking lot or neighborhood street, so ground clearance isn’t a concern. Now, the 54 tooth rear sprocket is gonna be awfully close to the ground, so I may either increase the tire size or run a closed chain guard just in case. Still a ways to go, but it should go quick once the frame is finished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like it’s going to be a fun ride!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X