Want you own food plot mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure other feed stores may offer this but I just ran into the Poetry Saddle and Tack store in Poerty, TX (just outside of Terrell) to see what wildlife food plot mix they may have in stock as I needed another 50 lb. bag but I wanted something different than what I already have.
    Well, I asked the clerk what they have in stock and she pointed out the Wildlife mix in 50 lb bags but it has Rye in it that I don't want to take up space. She then pointed out the chalk board that had different seeds (Wheat, Oats, Peas, Clover, etc.) and said that is by the pound and I could make up my own mix. I figured I would get 50/50 wheat and oats, which they already had mixed up in a 50 lb bag and 10 lbs. of clover.
    Just thought it was something different that you can make up your own blend as I will do that next year to get exactly what I want in a mix.

[ATTACH]971276[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]971277[/ATTACH]

That is how I do it. I use a paint mixer from a hardware store and mix it. That mix in the picture was 50 pound of peas, 5 pound sunflower and 10 pound Sunn Hemp. I use the same recipe till I get the hopper full which is 500 pounds. This was my spring mix.
    Last edited by Radar; 01-10-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Good information

Comment

I mix my own from multiple type seeds too. Just make sure to mix like sized seeds so they throw the same from the seeder. I’ll do larger grains together and then go back over and top sow small seeds like clover or brassicas together. Also, don’t discount Rye if it’s “Cereal Rye”, not ryegrass. Cereal Rye is very beneficial to plots, even moreso than wheat and oats. Good luck, almost time to get some seed out. Waiting on good rains in forecast

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
          I mix my own from multiple type seeds too. Just make sure to mix like sized seeds so they throw the same from the seeder. I’ll do larger grains together and then go back over and top sow small seeds like clover or brassicas together. Also, don’t discount Rye if it’s “Cereal Rye”, not ryegrass. Cereal Rye is very beneficial to plots, even moreso than wheat and oats. Good luck, almost time to get some seed out. Waiting on good rains in forecast

I agree with mdnabor’s assessment of cereal rye. It is probably the best base you can build a mix around... TONS of benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
            Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
            I agree with mdnabor’s assessment of cereal rye. It is probably the best base you can build a mix around... TONS of benefits.

What rye's do yall like? Elbon Rye?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              What rye's do yall like? Elbon Rye?

Elbon is what I have used the last 2 years for my father’s food plot. It has a VERY high cold tolerance, and will keep adding growth any day with highs in the mid-upper 30’s.

Comment

Elbon is what I have used the last 2 years for my father’s food plot. It has a VERY high cold tolerance, and will keep adding growth any day with highs in the mid-upper 30’s.

How many lbs per acre?

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                  How many lbs per acre?

Depends on how you are putting the seed down. I have seen guys use as little as 50lbs/acre when drilling, or we have been using 80-100lbs/acre of grains (so like 80lbs rye, 20 oats or wheat, or 60/20/20) spread into the summer plot then mowed as low as we can get the deck without breaking the soil surface. We only plant like this right before a good rain, and the grain component is higher assuming a lower germination rate from not rolling/drilling.

Our mix for this year is (per acre)
                  60lbs Elbon Rye
                  20lbs Winter Wheat
                  20lbs Oats
                  5lbs Winter Peas
                  3lbs Purple top Turnips
                  3lbs Daikon radishes
                  1lb Crimson Clover

Edit: I know it makes for a pretty grain heavy mix, but we are attempting to build as much organic matter as possible. This plot is on sugar sand, and runs less than 0.5% OM. The Rye puts down such a heavy root load, it really jumps the OM after a few years.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 09-09-2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Depends on how you are putting the seed down. I have seen guys use as little as 50lbs/acre when drilling, or we have been using 80-100lbs/acre of grains (so like 80lbs rye, 20 oats or wheat, or 60/20/20) spread into the summer plot then mowed as low as we can get the deck without breaking the soil surface. We only plant like this right before a good rain, and the grain component is higher assuming a lower germination rate from not rolling/drilling.

60lbs Elbon Rye
                    20lbs Winter Wheat
                    20lbs Oats
                    5lbs Winter Peas
                    3lbs Purple top Turnips
                    3lbs Daikon radishes
                    1lb Crimson Clover

Edit: I know it makes for a pretty grain heavy mix, but we are attempting to build as much organic matter as possible. This plot is on sugar sand, and runs less than 0.5% OM. The Rye puts down such a heavy root load, it really jumps the OM after a few years.

That’s gonna be an @$$ ton of turnips! I top dressed 2 lbs last year and it was too much for my liking. But I like your mix!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      That’s gonna be an @$$ ton of turnips! I top dressed 2 lbs last year and it was too much for my liking. But I like your mix!

Turnips are a relatively small seed, and with the Throw and mow method we have been using, you expect some percentage of germination failure.
                      We spend a little more on seeds every year to not till the soil and lose all the OM we worked on building. Also, with the Rye, Oats, and Wheat in there at their rates, the turnips don’t canopy over the top of them unless there is a thin spot. It ends up being a VERY dense plot with plants that peak at different times throughout the fall/winter. A mix like that can take a heck of a lot of grazing.

Comment

Go by your local Soil and Water Conservation District, they may be able to get you a mix and cheaper than the feed stores. Usually in same office as NRCS.

Or PM me and I can see what I can do

Comment

From what I have read this year, cereal rye is definitely a go to cover crop. It will also grow on dang near anything and will continue to through frost and freeze.

Cheap as well. Picked up a 50lb bag for $18.00 if I recall

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
                            Go by your local Soil and Water Conservation District, they may be able to get you a mix and cheaper than the feed stores. Usually in same office as NRCS.

Or PM me and I can see what I can do
                            Do they have Buck Forage Oats?

Comment

60lbs Elbon Rye
                              20lbs Winter Wheat
                              20lbs Oats
                              5lbs Winter Peas
                              3lbs Purple top Turnips
                              3lbs Daikon radishes
                              1lb Crimson Clover

Wow...I wrote my mix down the other night and it was EXACTLY your mix to a T! (didn't do lbs yet, but seeds spot on) I also plan to go back over the plot 3 weeks later and add more Rye as a "layered" effect to cover any thin spots and get more new growth too. And yes, no tillage for us this year either.
                              Last edited by mdnabors; 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X