Best All Around Deer Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
    Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness or the Vanguard Sporter chambered in .257 wby mag. Scope of your choice, 110gr Nosler Accubonds (although I have been considering trying the Hornady Precision Hunter 110gr eld-x bullet)

Been hearing a lot about this .256 Weatherby. A good friend of mine has a lot of good things to say about it.

Originally posted by tmstuk View Post
    Let him shoot all your guns and whichever one he shoots best give to him.

Your welcome.
    lol. I already gifted my old Parker Hale .243 to my oldest boy. I mainly bow hunt and only have one rifle I use for deer hunting.

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
    When I picture a gifted rifle it has a few things absolutely necessary...

Walnut stock, jeweled bolt, blued steel.

Something like this https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790450727
    Not familiar with that caliber but a sweet looking rifle for sure...love that walnut.

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    I will be more than willing to help find an older bdl or any other rig you & the boy choose...
    Thanks my man. If we go this route, I will let you know and thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
      I like Weatherby Vanguard in .270
      I've had good luck with mine.
      Federal Premium Bullets = nickel size group @ 100 yards.

Put a custom stock on it. Love it!
      Attached Files

Comment

I’m surprised nobody has suggested a T/C Comapss. I have one in 270 and love it. I have a Burris 4x12 on it and shots out at 300 are nothing for this rifle. Can shoot a 4” plate all day long. I’m sure someone else can do better. I’m no sniper. At 100 you can cover 5 shots with a quarter.

Comment

I’ll start with- what a loaded question. First the caliber. Yes, there are many great calibers out there and this argument is like ford or Chevy. However for the people that really know and really spend a lot of time on a bench, have it narrowed down to a few. There is alway a new kid on the block and a new hype. Some times for retail purposes and sometimes because the bullet is just awesome. If you walked into a custom gun store and/or asked a F class or PRS guy you would most likely get more often than not 6.5 creedmore recommendation (if you don’t load). If you didn’t care to much about availability than the 6.5 PRC is a tad faster with better long range capabilities. The 6.5 PRC would be fine for anything in North America, minus brown and grizzly. The 300 PRC is brand new with crazy long range capabilities, and would allow for bigger animal room.

As for rifle manufacturers. Since you didn’t qualify it. Custom. GAP, Hill Country, and many other great ones out there for build in the $4,000 range. Box guns - mark v, sako, and ruger precision would my choices.

Optics- SHV is good glass for a good price, vortex is also good glass for a good price.

Economical choices - tikka and Remington 700

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            Been hearing a lot about this .256 Weatherby. A good friend of mine has a lot of good things to say about it.

257 Roy is awesome but limits you on bullets weight if he gets a chance at bigger game

Comment

Love the 6.5 Grendel, very low recoil and will take now pretty much anything.

God Bless
              Bish

Comment

For quality and value check out a 243 Savage XP. IMHO a smoother, more solid action than others at that price point.

Comment

[QUOTE=sierracharlie338;13765347]Good set up but I beg to differ on the accuracy part.

Same. Savage or Ruger American.

Comment

Depends on budget. .270 is generally regarded as the perfect whitetail caliber. Tika T3 fits the bill nicely.

Comment

Good choices in calibers would be 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 270 Win. 260 Rem. There are quite a few others, but those are some that come to mind, that should not be too hard to find. A 284 Win. would be really nice, or a 7X57mm Mauser, or a 6.5X55 Swede, but those are all harder to find and the ammo can be harder to find, except for the 7X57.

As for a rifle, a older Remington 700 would be my top choice, possibly a Remington Model 7. Other choices for rifles would be a Savage 110 or a Howa 1500.

If he is younger, I would look for a Howa 1500 mini in a 6.5 Grendel. That would be a good rifle for anyone, just a bit lower on power than the typical medium action calibers.

Comment

25-06 in any reputable maker. I'd look at a Tikka and top with the best glass you can.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                          25-06 in any reputable maker. I'd look at a Tikka and top with the best glass you can.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I have a Tikka 25-06 and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Colton has been looking over calibers relentlessly and made his mind up on a .308. This evening he walked out of Carter's Country with a Weatherby Vangaurd .308 with a Walnut stock. Son of a gun is a looker!

Hopefully he will be killing big game with it for the rest of his life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good looking gun.

I thought 30 cals sucked for the longest as I wasnt a fan of my 30-06.

Nowadays, deer hunting, I have to make myself not grab my .308!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Kimber Classic Select Grade in .25-06

Comment

Working...
                                X