220 swift for deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

220 swift for deer?

Anyone have a favorite bullet or pet load for deer?

I’ve started working on finding a load for my VSF, but I’m a little stumped on bullet selection.

It’ll shoot a 40gr vmax lights out, but I’m not sure how good that would be on deer.
    I tried a 53gr Barnes tsx but couldn’t get better than about 3” group.
    1-14 twist barrel.

I use a 52gr hpbt with mine and have never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

55 Gr. soft points. One of my favorite calibers for whitetail.

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
        I use a 52gr hpbt with mine and have never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Had two Swift’s when I was younger and had great success with the same on deer sized game. I built a 6mmx284 on one of them and re-barreled the other in a heavy contour Swift. They haven’t been out of the safe for 20 years lol

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
          55 Gr. soft points. One of my favorite calibers for whitetail.
          This

I have shot Norma 60 grain nosler partions too. They were awesome. Hard to find now and expensive.

I have actually had good look with cheap remington 50 grain soft points too.
          Last edited by 220swift; 11-06-2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Heaviest bullet you can get! They do make a 60gr Nosler partition!

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
              This

I have shot Norma 60 grain nosler partions too. They were awesome. Hard to find now and expensive.

I was mistaken, the Remington 50s are what we use also. Fantastic bullets.

Comment

40gr vmax to head or neck and that’s all she wrote.

Comment

I use 55gr Vmax and have yet to have an issue with quick clean kills.

Comment

Had Ruger 77V for years. Fun at the range. Heavy barrel made it a little heavy for stalking and hiking.
                    Lethal, but many are for deer and hogs.

Comment

I've killed many with the 60gr partitions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                        This

I may have a few boxes of the Norma 60 grain. I’ll check when I get home.

Comment

My custom likes 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw over 39.5gr of IMR 4320

WARNING THIS IS A MAX LOAD IT'S VERY HOT BACK IT OFF AND WORK BACK UP IF YOU TRY IT

Comment

I have the first edition VSSF in the 220 Swift. I have also been shooting the 220 Swift for 38 years. With a 1:14 twist you are right at the limit of being able to shoot a 60 grain bullet. My "go to" bullet for coyotes is the Sierra 55 gr HPBT. I don't shoot deer with mine but having said that, I think if you went with the Sierra 55 gr SP it would be plenty for Whitetail deer. I load mine using IMR 4064 and shoot it at about 3865 fps. Mine will shoot 10 shot groups right at 1/2 inch at 100 yards.
                            If I were hunting whitetail deer with mine, that is what I would load for it.

Comment

I've killed a couple of deer with my .220. Good placement with almost any bullet kills white tails like lightning. I could never get the 60 grain Partitions to shoot well in my Swift, I just used the Sierra 52 grain HPBT.

Comment

Working...
                              X