Powder Selection-Reloading Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 25-06 that I have worked up a nice varmint load for using 85 grain Nosler BT’s and am currently working on a 120 grain load for deer. The same brass and primers were used for both loads but I used one powder for the 85’s and another kind for the 120’s. The 85’s shot nicely yielding ~.60” groups @ 100 but the 120’s were garbage. Couldn’t get 2 shots within 2” of each other. Now I know the gun will shoot 120 grain pills, the barrel stabilizes 120 grain factory loaded rem core-lokt just fine, and shoots them around 1.25”.

So my question is, should I load some cartridges with the 120’s with the same powder I used for the 85 grain loads? Or will changing seating depth, brass, or primers, yield me better results.

I know all guns are different but I can’t figure why the gun will shoot brand “X” of a certain grain bullet fine and terrible with the next. Maybe it’s related to the sectional density or BC of the bullets in question. Just looking for some advice, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ain't gonna hurt a thing. I tend to just pick a medium charge per the manufacturer according to the bullet weights in question and let em fly. If it's shoots decent, then go to tweaking. If not, **** it and change it up some. Pencil barrel or heavy? Those pencil barrels are nice for packing but give me more **** when trying to dial in is the only reason I ask.
    Last edited by kck; 11-05-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

What powder? Maybe the burn rate of that powder is better suited for a lighter bullet? I would change powder.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m assuming you have tried different charge weights with the powder in question?

Comment

It’s just your run of the mill sporter contour. Tends to get warm rather quickly haha

Comment

And yes tried different charges of powder with no real improvement. I believe the 120’s were H4831 and the 85’s were IMR 4350. Need to check my notes.

Comment

4831 gave me excellent accuracy with 120 gr. Partitions, but it's a half grain over max. I don't worry about it in a Ruger No. 1, but the bolt was sticky in my Sendero so I stayed with factory stuff in it. Have you tried any of the Reloader powders ?

Comment

Haven’t tried any of the R powders yet. Only have my hands on the Hogdon and IMR right now. May pick some up and try it if the IMR doesn’t show any promise with the 120’s

Comment

Originally posted by tanto View Post
                  And yes tried different charges of powder with no real improvement. I believe the 120’s were H4831 and the 85’s were IMR 4350. Need to check my notes.

Try the IMR 4350 with the heavier bullets. I've had really good results with that powder and 115 grain nosler BT

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking back at my notes, I ran H4831 with the 85’s and IMR 4350 on the 120’s. Going to try the 4831 with the 120’s and hopefully get some better results

Comment

I’ve had great luck with the IMR 4350 and Sierra gameking BTHP 120gr out of my 25/06. But would also shoot 4831 just as good too with the same bullet.

Comment

I’m guessing the 4350 burn rate just isn’t suited to this particular rifle. Hopefully the 4831 works with the 120’s

Comment

Interested to hear your results.
                          I'm thinking your rifle just doesn't like that burn rate... the frequency of the harmonic might just have you smack dab between nodes. Slower burn rates have wider nodes, so trying the 4831 may help.
                          Nosler publishes loads for both IMR 4831 and IMR 4350 powders and 120gr. bullets. The Hodgdon 4831 is a little slower burning, which may be a good thing here. The Nosler loads include powders as slow as Retumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            Interested to hear your results.
                            I'm thinking your rifle just doesn't like that burn rate... the frequency of the harmonic might just have you smack dab between nodes. Slower burn rates have wider nodes, so trying the 4831 may help.
                            Nosler publishes loads for both IMR 4831 and IMR 4350 powders and 120gr. bullets. The Hodgdon 4831 is a little slower burning, which may be a good thing here. The Nosler loads include powders as slow as Retumbo.

Thanks for the info sir. I was using nosler’s load data as well and there is not a posted load using H4831... was wanting to use that powder but wanted to start with a published load. Hogdon has a published load on their website using a 120 soft point, 48 grain starting load, 51.5 grain max. Do you think this is a safe starting place, even though the projectile listed is a 120 soft point, not a 120 grain nosler partition like I am using?

Comment

Your rifle may not stabilize the partition. It’s a longer bullet than the Cor-lok.

Comment

Working...
                              X