No announcement yet.

Hunting Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents gave me a nice leather hunting journal a few years ago. I laughed at it when I opened it, but it's been pretty cool recording my hunts. Wished I had thought to record barometric pressure. Cool read. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
      Yessir! I've listened to that particular episode at least 5 times since I found it and will probably hear it another 5times in the next two weeks.
      I listened to it again lol. One thing he does that I never thought about is comparing his daylight pics of mature bucks from his game cams to weather history. I have years worth of pics on my laptop that I would like to go through and compare also to see if the trend sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
        Great post! Mark Drury talked about the same thing on the Wired to Hunt podcast #63. They mainly talk about midwest hunting but there's a ton of good info there.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/07/09/th...t-wmark-drury/
        Thanks for this, it was a good listen

Comment

Haha!! And I thought I was the only one who was that crazy/**** bout huntin stuff! I have done the exact same thing for years, and like you have noticed the EXACT same trend with the movement following a change in wind direction. And I also have killed, or at least seen some of my better bucks when this scenario happens. In my journal, I also always do a write up/mini story of the hunt, which is always cool to go back and read... Especially the ones where I kill something! Another thing I always have written down is the "direction of travel" as in the way the deer move to where my stand is, and the way they leave the area. It's always cool how that will deviate with the conditions/wind direction. Once again, awesome write up, and good to see others are as crazy as me! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
            I just finished listening and man there was some great info in there! He definitely believes in the day or two after a switch in the wind direction, and high pressure. I really liked how he broke the season down into the 13 different phases. I was shaking my head in agreement through most of the interview. I didn't see the correlation between deer movement and the moon phase in my records like he did, but I know he has way more data to go off of than me. He is the first person I have heard talk about the hunting being the best during and around a full moon. You usually hear people say the opposite. The man really knows his stuff. Thanks for sharing that!
            I don't keep near the records you guys do but I had one buck in particular that I hunted hard for a couple of years. I was logging weather and moon phase from all his pictures and every time there was a full moon I would get daylight pictures when most pictures were coming at night. Took off work for the full moon in October and sure enough he came in at 3:20 in the afternoon, but I blew my shot. Never put that much thought into a deer before and since he ended up getting killed I haven't had one on camera that has intrigued me as much as him. I need to do a better job of keeping up with it all.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              I don't keep near the records you guys do but I had one buck in particular that I hunted hard for a couple of years. I was logging weather and moon phase from all his pictures and every time there was a full moon I would get daylight pictures when most pictures were coming at night. Took off work for the full moon in October and sure enough he came in at 3:20 in the afternoon, but I blew my shot. Never put that much thought into a deer before and since he ended up getting killed I haven't had one on camera that has intrigued me as much as him. I need to do a better job of keeping up with it all.

The only phase of the moon that I have ever paid any attention to is full. From Oct-Feb it always always always triggers some degree of rutting activity. Some scientists don't agree with that, but some scientists also say there isn't a God so I'll stick with my own personal findings on both matters lol.

Really really good post OP. Tons of extremely useful information being passed along here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great thread, thanks for posting!
                Last edited by James; 09-15-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I too keep certain notes on almost every hunt I make. I do make notes of the items you cover but I also add moon phase and time since last measurable rain occurrence. One other thing I make a mental note of then jot down, is number of deer seen during the hunt that I harvest my buck.

Great thread and thanks for sharing your notes and theory's. You have killed some truly jolly ranchers of bucks.

Rwc

Comment

I wish I could pick days/weather patterns to hunt but I have a family with two young kids, busy work schedule, and my place is 4hrs away, so when I go out there I try to make the best of it and hunt. I'm sure a lot of us are in this same boat as far as family, schedule, etc. More times than not the weather isn't great when I'm hunting but I can't change that. I definitely think what you are saying has merit and believe that change of weather is a big part of it. I wish I could plan hunting trips around weather but at this point in my life, I pick 5 weekends way before the season even starts and hope that they pan out.

Comment

So after listening to the podcast with Mark Drury, he states he doesn't like hunting mornings in the early season (mainly October)...after hearing that, will it change your October up at all?

I'm looking at the weather we are to have opening weekend and I'll have a slight NE breeze and a low of 55* opening morning with the highest BP of the week. Thinking since we are getting the front that's dropping temps almost 20*, opening day being later in the front, and a high BP for opening day that I'm going to go hunt anyways. Hunting public land where I have deer patterned, but don't want to run them out if it ain't right.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                        So after listening to the podcast with Mark Drury, he states he doesn't like hunting mornings in the early season (mainly October)...after hearing that, will it change your October up at all?

I'm looking at the weather we are to have opening weekend and I'll have a slight NE breeze and a low of 55* opening morning with the highest BP of the week. Thinking since we are getting the front that's dropping temps almost 20*, opening day being later in the front, and a high BP for opening day that I'm going to go hunt anyways. Hunting public land where I have deer patterned, but don't want to run them out if it ain't right.
                        I listened to it also, twice actually. I assume he's meaning since deer are on the food plots all night he doesn't want to bugger them before daylight early oct. Not all of what he says applies to my style of hunting as I hunt public almost exclusively. I have caught myself being cautious of where I go most mornings as I don't want to mess with stuff too much so I usually don't go straight to my favorite places till the conditions are right and most of the time it's evening. I still hunt every morning I can, just not my favorite spots unless I have a reason to or a stands in the tree and I can make minimal disturbance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

I think it depends on your stand and the situation. If you have easy access and don't have a fear of jumping the deer on the way in you can hunt a morning, but I personally don't. My morning camera action is really non existent early October anyway. The bucks are usually up til 3 and 4 on their feet then headed to bed. I listened to it. It's a beautiful podcast!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love them East Tx deer!!

Comment

great post, a lot of good info

Comment

I just looked back at the deer I killed last year 11/24/16. The days heading up to the day.

11/22/16-11mph SE BP:30

11/23/16-6mph W BP:30.05

***11/24/16-2mph ESE BP:30.2

11/25/16-3mph NNE BP:30.5

everyone can check out what the conditions were on some bucks you have killed if you didn't log them using this link

Comment

Working...
                                X