Another caliber thread . . . This one is a little different though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another caliber thread . . . This one is a little different though

I am looking at purchasing a handgun to hunt with and I was wondering what caliber some of you might reccommend. This is a little bit different than all the other "What caliber" threads. I am particularly interested hearing from people that have one of the calibers mentioned or those who have experience with them. That being said, if you were to buy a handgun to hunt with, which of the three would you choose:

1. .44 Magnum - Thompson Center Contender Super 14 or Smith & Wesson Performance Center 629 Hunter
    2. .460 Magnum- Smith and Wesson Performance Center XVR
    3. .357 Maximum-Thompson Center Contender Super 14

22 for you.

Comment

Of the three the 44 I have shot and hunted with. I also have a 454. I really like my 454. You can shoot 45 long colt out of it to get familiar with the feel of the gun. Get 454 hunting ammunition and resight gun for the ammuminition. Hits hard and very accurate for me out to 50 yards. I hunt both pistols open sight and both are Freedom Arms revolvers. I would shoot the 3 and see what fits you

Comment

have you given the glock 40 in 10mm a look?

Comment

Do you reload?

Comment

Had a 29 Smith that was lights out on deer/hogs... didn't like the recoil of the 240gr bullets so I loaded some hot 180gr Sierra bullets and my gun liked them a lot... full pass thru on every deer I shot. Kept shots inside of 50 yards, though practiced out to 100... open sights.

Have several T/C's... not the ones you asked about. Favorite T/C barrel is the 7-30 Waters... 120 gr. 7mm bullet in a 30-30 case. sub moa out to 200 yards. Killed many deer, coyotes and couple bobcats with it. 2.5-8 LER Leupold. Great deer animal size caliber and easy on the recoil...

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
              have you given the glock 40 in 10mm a look?
              No sir, I have not. I am not interested in hunting with a GLOCK.

Originally posted by Southern Blend View Post
              Do you reload?
              I dont right now, but I know someone that does.

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Had a 29 Smith that was lights out on deer/hogs... didn't like the recoil of the 240gr bullets so I loaded some hot 180gr Sierra bullets and my gun liked them a lot... full pass thru on every deer I shot. Kept shots inside of 50 yards, though practiced out to 100... open sights.

Have several T/C's... not the ones you asked about. Favorite T/C barrel is the 7-30 Waters... 120 gr. 7mm bullet in a 30-30 case. sub moa out to 200 yards. Killed many deer, coyotes and couple bobcats with it. 2.5-8 LER Leupold. Great deer animal size caliber and easy on the recoil...
              Thank you for the input. I have considered that caliber as well, but the other three are available for me to purchase right now.

Comment

If you don’t reload I would stay away from the 357max. I have a S&S 500 mag, and although it is capable of being a hunting gun I would never use it as such. Just too unnecessarily big and heavy, particularly when a 44mag will do everything you want. Of the three I would choose 44mag. I prefer Ruger SBH, but S&w is good too.

I also have a 454 Casull and like someone else recommended I would consider it as well. 45 Colt can be mild to wild and then 454 is a big step up if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If your dead set on those three options, I'd pick 44 mag.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Blend View Post
                    If your dead set on those three options, I'd pick 44 mag.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
                    Not dead set on the three, but that is what I was thinking about. Would you mind sharing your suggestion or any other experience with a different caliber? I am all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      22 for you.
                      Which platform would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                        Which platform would you suggest?
                        Probably a cricket rifle

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Probably a cricket rifle
                          Thank you. I will look into that. I appreciate it.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? The money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Comment

I've killed a lot of deer with a S&W Model 29 .44 magnum. 240 grain bullet jhp or just a jacketed soft point they both work well.

Killed a few deer with a .357 magnum but it's not the deer and hog killer that the .44 is. But it will kill them.

Comment

I have a Freedom Arms Premier Grade .454 Casull I'd sell or maybe trade, if you're interested. Leupold 2x scope, another Leupold red dot sight, holster, 8" barrel, about 500 rounds of loaded ammo and brass....

It's a great hunting pistol.

Comment

Working...
                              X