No announcement yet.

Any Grayson or Cooke county reports??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a doe and a fawn last night. They stayed on the opposite side of the tree line and did not come to my feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mission160BB View Post
      Bells area
      I live in the bells area I'd love to help you out with your hog problem

Since I am a newbie and this is literally my first post I can't PM you...guess I need to start posting instead of just reading

Comment

Story goes like this, front blew in Tuesday night. Got in the stand about 6:10, put out some doe in estrus before hand. I like to blind call during pre rut, rut and post-rut, so about 7:00 it was light enough to call. I always start with 3-4 doe bleats and wait about 3-4 minutes and hit up a tending grunt sequence. At 7:10 I hear running, I grab my bow and clip the release. I see a deer running towards me, I check to see what it is and it's a broken 8 his right side was snapped off right above his brow tine. Watching him search for the calls, I caught movement behind him running in. Boom there he was! The little buck ran off as soon as he arrived. He was way wiser than the little buck, he hung up at about 28 yds. He was perfectly in one of my shooting lanes, but was facing directly towards me. He froze there studying the landscape looking as hard as he could for about 3 minutes. The whole time I was shaking pretty good just trying to hold it together. Finally he started to relax and I could tell he was about to bolt, he turned to go back the way he came in. As soon as he turned I drew, he was quartering away hard. I settled my 20 yd pin a little high just in front of his backside hip and let it fly!!!!! I watched the arrow bury up to the fletching angled into the boiler room. I knew he was a goner. Waited about an 1 1/2 to go find him. We had a hard time tracking him because of the lack of exit wound, his cavity had to fill up first. After finding specks of blood 300 yds later we found him. I taped him out at 158" 6/8". He's my biggest to date by 4 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gpatterson View Post

Story goes like this, front blew in Tuesday night. Got in the stand about 6:10, put out some doe in estrus before hand. I like to blind call during pre rut, rut and post-rut, so about 7:00 it was light enough to call. I always start with 3-4 doe bleats and wait about 3-4 minutes and hit up a tending grunt sequence. At 7:10 I hear running, I grab my bow and clip the release. I see a deer running towards me, I check to see what it is and it's a broken 8 his right side was snapped off right above his brow tine. Watching him search for the calls, I caught movement behind him running in. Boom there he was! The little buck ran off as soon as he arrived. He was way wiser than the little buck, he hung up at about 28 yds. He was perfectly in one of my shooting lanes, but was facing directly towards me. He froze there studying the landscape looking as hard as he could for about 3 minutes. The whole time I was shaking pretty good just trying to hold it together. Finally he started to relax and I could tell he was about to bolt, he turned to go back the way he came in. As soon as he turned I drew, he was quartering away hard. I settled my 20 yd pin a little high just in front of his backside hip and let it fly!!!!! I watched the arrow bury up to the fletching angled into the boiler room. I knew he was a goner. Waited about an 1 1/2 to go find him. We had a hard time tracking him because of the lack of exit wound, his cavity had to fill up first. After finding specks of blood 300 yds later we found him. I taped him out at 158" 6/8". He's my biggest to date by 4 inches.

Congrats on a nice buck!

Comment

Great buck

Comment

Yup congrats!!! Nice buck

Comment

Had deer back under my feeder after the rain let up. Hadn't seen any on cam for several weeks

Comment

Three deer under my feeder again tonight. Good sign

Comment

Great buck and Congrats gpatterson

Comment

Sat for a bit this afternoon. Nothing was moving. Cameras showed some deer rut activity late in the evening. But still mostly nocturnal. It's frustrating to have great bucks and little opportunity to see them during shooting hours.

Comment

Question

Originally posted by gpatterson View Post

Would like more information about the area and how you are hunting. Are you hunting in deep timber or near food plots? Is their a feeder near your stand or do you prefer to hunt funnels and travel ways?

I have great deer but only seeing them on cameras during night near food sources. The woods were too thick to hunt this year since we got on the lease in August. I think we will do better clearing wooded areas and hunting without feeders. Any feedback is appreciated.

Comment

Sat for a bit this afternoon. Nothing was moving. Cameras showed some deer rut activity late in the evening. But still mostly nocturnal. It's frustrating to have great bucks and little opportunity to see them during shooting hours.
                          Same here. Sat this morning and checked my card on my Stealthcam hand held...there yesterday 7:18, but not today(got out of the stand at 10). Walked the other stand to check activity, and there were prints all over the road/fenceline, along with some big bobcat tracks. On Cam 2: Had a group of 3 does in munching corn yesterday evening at 6:30.

Also, got 4 trespassers...

Comment

Would like more information about the area and how you are hunting. Are you hunting in deep timber or near food plots? Is their a feeder near your stand or do you prefer to hunt funnels and travel ways?

I have great deer but only seeing them on cameras during night near food sources. The woods were too thick to hunt this year since we got on the lease in August. I think we will do better clearing wooded areas and hunting without feeders. Any feedback is appreciated.

I'll pm ya

Comment

Anyone in the stand today? Plans to go out this weekend?

Comment

I'm going to try to get out in this cold...

Comment

Working...
                                X