Boar down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Kevin (the big hog shooter) made it back home to New York. He had the hog meat brined on ice for 7ish days. He sent me this picture and text.

"Texas wild boar Georgia barbecue with rice and beans - It is quite good"

After he shot it I figured it would stink. But after loading it, taking pictures, and weighting it and everyone noticed it had zero odor and no fleas or ticks we thought it may be good. Apparently it was.

Comment

Congrats well done

Comment

Nice; Euro mount him!

Comment

nice!

Comment

Who in the hail took those sorry arse pitchers? Those are horrible!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Who in the hail took those sorry arse pitchers? Those are horrible!!!
                Sorry GOF.

Taken with his cell phone. I was being rushed LOL

And he is getting it euro

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  Kevin (the big hog shooter) made it back home to New York. He had the hog meat brined on ice for 7ish days. He sent me this picture and text.

"Texas wild boar Georgia barbecue with rice and beans - It is quite good"

After he shot it I figured it would stink. But after loading it, taking pictures, and weighting it and everyone noticed it had zero odor and no fleas or ticks we thought it may be good. Apparently it was.

As long as they are not rutting they generally don't stink so bad. A rutting boar will have a strong skunky smell. Sows in heat will have a skunky smell too. I think it's rubbed off on them from the boars doing their piggy back thing. Even pen raised domestic boars will get that smell. That's why they are relieved of their twins early on.

There IS a scent gland of sorts on male pigs that female pigs do not have. This is called the preputial diverticulum. Gland is located above the foot on the back of the first joint. An intact boar has a gland that produces a foul smelling discharge. When a male is neutered at an early age, this gland doesn't fully mature and typically doesn't emit the foul smelling discharge for long thereafter, however, in older intact boars, when neutered later in life, this gland has developed and is operational. In order to eliminate the smell, you will also have to eliminate the source. Gradually, the smell usually dissipates quite a bit even without the removal, but if it is mature and functional, your pig will likely always have a "special" scent.

In addition to that "scent" gland, there are a few others scattered around the body. But they do not typically cause any issues and should be left alone. You may occasionally see your pig scratching the corner of the eye or around the mouth and this may be a habitual behavior in leaving their scent for others to find.
                  Last edited by muzzlebrake; 04-17-2019, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X