Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the going rate for truck allowance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    I have had both and there are pros and cons to personal vs company vehicle. For the first 6 years I had a company car, Pontiac Sunfire and Pontiac Vibe. I had to pay gas and was reimbursed. I could drive it anywhere but it was a car. I kept my wife's old Suburban for my fishing/hunting rig so in reality, I had a personal car as well.

I then went to a company truck, just a standard F150 exteneded cab and it was fine. I had a gas card and they paid all expenses on the vehicle. HOWEVER, I had to have a VP's letter of approval to tow any personal trailer or boat and that was hard to come by for a while. Many of us pled ignorant if we were caught. Also, there was a 125 mile limit from our home office. You could not take it past that point or take the family on vacation in the vehicle. Also, no firearms were to be in the vehicle since they owned the truck. The guys that brown nosed the boss would get a 4x4 claiming they went to commercial construction sites or oil wells to call on customers. That company would think about putting an order in for a new truck at 160-170K miles and you would get it in 4-6 months. Also, this was a rolling bill board with decals and phone numbers at the end. When my new truck arrived, I peeled all the decals off and had some small door signs with a magnet back. Eventually many of us were reprimanded as a couple of reps got some small 2"x6" decals and used them above the F150 placard and you couldn't really tell it was a company truck.

Now I use my personal truck and get $750/month and no gas card. I really like using my own truck and not being a rolling bill board. I can blend in and not be so noticeable. I will say this, you have to have a fuel card, that is my one pet peeve with this position. I am sure there is a lot of abuse with fuel cards but I am in the hole at $750/month. We all have magnetic door placards and company policy is to remove them when you leave the gate of a plant.
    So 750/750 is a wash. So your only benefit it added maintenance and depreciation out of your pocket? I don’t know about that amigo

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
      So 750/750 is a wash. So your only benefit it added maintenance and depreciation out of your pocket? I don’t know about that amigo
      I agree that it's more of a burden on me but I can now drive what I want. Additionally, there were limitations at my last workplace that I didn't like such as a 125 mile limit, constant concern when towing my trailers, a GPS tracker and the fact you could not carry a firearm in the company vehicle.

My present company had fuel cards but pulled them when oil tanked and it they have never been reinstated. We are having some reps leave recently and that is a big exit interview comment so I believe they are working on reinstating the fuel cards. They have made strides in other areas such as health insurance dropping $300 per month and that's a positive swing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        I agree that it's more of a burden on me but I can now drive what I want. Additionally, there were limitations at my last workplace that I didn't like such as a 125 mile limit, constant concern when towing my trailers, a GPS tracker and the fact you could not carry a firearm in the company vehicle.

My present company had fuel cards but pulled them when oil tanked and it they have never been reinstated. We are having some reps leave recently and that is a big exit interview comment so I believe they are working on reinstating the fuel cards. They have made strides in other areas such as health insurance dropping $300 per month and that's a positive swing.
        Not having a GPS and company logo plastered on the side is HUGE. A large part of my reasoning for going back to a personal truck. Just two weeks ago I had a dependapotamus pull out in front of me and immediately come to a dead stop in a 60 MPH zone, then take off and another hard brake stop. Did that 3 times in a row trying to get me to rear ended them. When I passed they all had cameras out out and was a van full of social parasites. That coupled with a GPS tattling on me anytime I got 2-3 mph over the speed limit without realizing it is enough of a reason to want to be in my own truck again.

Comment

Ask for enough to cover truck note, insurance and normal stuff.

Comment

my current job offered $500/month for everything or mileage paid for business trips at .58/mile

Needless to say I didn't take the vehicle allowance

Comment

I used to get $100 a day for my truck plus a company fuel card. I made a minimum of 24k per year off my truck alone.

Comment

Mine is around $800.

Comment

Working...
                X