No announcement yet.

Dallas county theft plus more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...Does this mean I can steal $749 per week, month, year or just whenever I need it (ie per occurance) ?

Comment

why in the hell would THEFT of anyones property be ok?
      if you are starving to death their are plenty of taxpayer provided places to go to.

what if the property that is being stolen is from some guy that is just getting their feet under them? now they have to go steal some crap just to make ends meet?

get their heads out of their asses!!

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
        why in the hell would THEFT of anyones property be ok?
        if you are starving to death their are plenty of taxpayer provided places to go to.

what if the property that is being stolen is from some guy that is just getting their feet under them? now they have to go steal some crap just to make ends meet?

get their heads out of their asses!!
        Everyone just borrows everyone’s stuff, then you borrow it back

SMH

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
          As a Dallas resident, I really don't have a problem with what he is trying to do. Unburden the poor. Give them a chance to work. You can't work from jail when you can't post bail for a simple possession charge. Like for having a joint on you. You can't post bail, can't get to work, can't make your car payment. And then it just snow balls from there...

It has worked in other cities, Houston will be doing the same, they are better about keeping it quiet, as is Austin.

I wish we had HEB's to steal from...
          How about just not have a possession charge and you don’t have to worry about the rest of the snow ball effect. Not too hard to do the right thing.

Comment

Most of this I agree with - not a whole lot that I don’t.

Comment

I sent this over to my buddy that just retired as an Assistant DA and he had some insight on everything but the theft and $750 limit. His point was as long as it is less than $750, they will have a hard time in it not being a necessity, each person is different and has certain needs. You're good as long as you don't fence the goods. One could build up quite a stash.

He said the local businesses will sort it out once they being losing goods and no prosecution takes place. They will run him out quick.

Comment

As a Dallas resident, I really don't have a problem with what he is trying to do. Unburden the poor. Give them a chance to work. You can't work from jail when you can't post bail for a simple possession charge. Like for having a joint on you. You can't post bail, can't get to work, can't make your car payment. And then it just snow balls from there...

It has worked in other cities, Houston will be doing the same, they are better about keeping it quiet, as is Austin.

I just dont understand this mentality. If you cant work from jail for a posession charge, dont posess. That simple. No snowballing. Dont posess and you dont have to worry about it.

It really is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I sent this over to my buddy that just retired as an Assistant DA and he had some insight on everything but the theft and $750 limit. His point was as long as it is less than $750, they will have a hard time in it not being a necessity, each person is different and has certain needs. You're good as long as you don't fence the goods. One could build up quite a stash.

He said the local businesses will sort it out once they being losing goods and no prosecution takes place. They will run him out quick.
                  My question is can a person openly walk into a store and blatantly walk out with milk, bread, eggs, etc? Is there anything the store can do to stop you?

Comment

I dont agree with a single bit of it. All efforts in the memo shoud be abandoned and turned towards efforts to ensure innocents arent arrested and/or prosecuted in the first place. Other than that, quite frankly, I dont want to hear the whining if you commit a crime and get arrested. If you did it, man up and pay the dues. Cant affors to lose your job for a DWI? Dont drive while intoxicated. Cant afford bail for stealing? Dont steal.

The plain fact of the matter is, with few ( and notable ) exceptions, the cronically poor in America are poor for a reason. If you are buying weed, you aint poor enough to need to steal to live.

( notable exceptions include mothers abandoned by the father, elderly unable to work etc )

Comment

And the whole African Americans get higher fines and more time crud is wholly irrelevant if they dont commit a crime. I have known plenty of black people that have not been affected by that "fact" one single bit. They dont commit crimes so dont have to worry about it.

How hard is that?

( again, false imprisonment and charges are an issue that needs to be addressed )

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        My question is can a person openly walk into a store and blatantly walk out with milk, bread, eggs, etc? Is there anything the store can do to stop you?
                        Well, if the store tries and stop them and they get hurt it becomes a robbery. Just last week in Harris county a trooper friend of mine stopped a car. First time marijuana charge for the driver. He also was a felon in possession of a fire arm with a stolen gun. He had crack cocaine and powder cocaine. The DA only accepted the class B marijuana. Since it’s his first marijuana offense he will be offered the diversion program or dropped completely. Leading him to be charged with noting. He was working but I guarantee you he is not claiming taxes.

Comment

If I owned a small business in Dallas, every item I sold would be marked at $751 dollars. We could negotiate the price when and if you show you can pay. But if you walk out with it, my value would be $751 dollars, minimum, when I report it.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            For the question at hand, he stated the stores will treat it as shoplifting as usual, a ride to jail but no charges and as it looks, no bonding to get out. He feels that most LEO will treat it just as they have been but the DA will not accept the case. Once those stack up, something is going to change. Business owners will not stand for that "lack of service" from the DA. He said it will be one of the "you will beat the rap but you're gonna take the ride" kind of deals. I probably butchered the verbiage, lol.

His concern is what is a necessity? Who determines that? A phone? A case of water, groceries, fuel? It's a slippery slope. He also felt that $750 was way out of line, that's a lot of stuff. The DA's stance will be tested pretty quickly I'd think.

Then again, it's kinda like a fender bender in a private parking lot, LEO might make sure you exchange info and that's it. I can see some LEO getting disgruntled and just winging it after writing up a few cases and just getting no billed. It will be a stressful time for the LEO in that county for a while for sure.

Comment

You really think turning a petty thief loose will encourage him to work?!?! Laughable

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                                I just dont understand this mentality. If you cant work from jail for a posession charge, dont posess. That simple. No snowballing. Dont posess and you dont have to worry about it.

It really is that simple.
                                Simple

Comment

Working...
                                X