No announcement yet.

Dallas county theft plus more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a Dallas resident, I really don't have a problem with what he is trying to do. Unburden the poor. Give them a chance to work. You can't work from jail when you can't post bail for a simple possession charge. Like for having a joint on you. You can't post bail, can't get to work, can't make your car payment. And then it just snow balls from there...

It has worked in other cities, Houston will be doing the same, they are better about keeping it quiet, as is Austin.

I wish we had HEB's to steal from...

Comment

Typical liberal Dem move! Get out of jail free since you will no longer be held accountable for your actions.

And lots of talk about protecting certain ethnicities from prosecution...so now race can actually qualify you to commit crimes?? This is the same mentality for the idiots calling for reparations. It’s your fault I have to lie, cheat and steal to survive and by gosh, you are gonna pay!!

Comment

I guess I can steal a truck if mine breaks because it out of necessity to get somewhere. crime should go up for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Blue View Post
          I guess I can steal a truck if mine breaks because it out of necessity to get somewhere. crime should go up for sure.
          Only a crappy one worth less than $750 So basically any Ford made before 2018

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw"]Seattle is Dying - YouTube[/ame]

Seems Dallas is going down the same road. While I agree that what we are currently doing isn't the right answer, but what Dallas is doing doesn't seem to be the right answer either, just the easy way out.
            Last edited by Dave; 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
              As a Dallas resident, I really don't have a problem with what he is trying to do. Unburden the poor. Give them a chance to work. You can't work from jail when you can't post bail for a simple possession charge. Like for having a joint on you. You can't post bail, can't get to work, can't make your car payment. And then it just snow balls from there...

It has worked in other cities, Houston will be doing the same, they are better about keeping it quiet, as is Austin.

I agree with what you posted

However, you did not address theft?

$75 worth maybe but nobody needs to steal $750 worth of anything to survive

Equal treatment for equal crimes committed by equal scale criminals

Race, religion etc should play no part in charges or bail amounts

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

No one "needs" to steal anything. We are all living high on the hog compared to pretty much any place on earth at any time in the history of man. We should never even for one second think certain people have it rough.

And I bet there's a lot more to bail amounts compared to race than that letter suggests.

Comment

Honestly, I wonder how real this memo is, no offense to the OP. If it is real...well...we'll all be SOL soon.

Comment

It is absolutely real. I will say this however. My PD (in dallas co) is going to continue to arrest and follow the penal code. If the county doesnt prosecute there is nothing we can do. Some charges may become lower charges though and kept in muni court to avoid going to county to be dropped

Comment

Where are these other cities that decriminalizing breaking the law has worked? And, what has "worked"?

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

From the letter sent to the DA...

[/quote]Theft of Necessary Items
                        Study after study shows that when we arrest, jail, and convict people for non-violent crimes committed out of necessity, we only prevent that person from gaining the stability necessary to lead a law-abiding life. Criminalizing poverty is counter-productive for our community’s health and safety. For that reason, this office will not prosecute theft of personal items less than $750 unless the evidence shows that the alleged theft was for economic gain.[/quote]

I agree with you on this. Economic gain is the key phrase here.

Comment

From the letter sent to the DA...
                          Theft of Necessary Items
                          Study after study shows that when we arrest, jail, and convict people for non-violent crimes committed out of necessity, we only prevent that person from gaining the stability necessary to lead a law-abiding life. Criminalizing poverty is counter-productive for our community’s health and safety. For that reason, this office will not prosecute theft of personal items less than $750 unless the evidence shows that the alleged theft was for economic gain.[/quote]

I agree with you on this. Economic gain is the key phrase here.[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                          Where are these other cities that decriminalizing breaking the law has worked? And, what has "worked"?
                          Check out the Brooklyn community bail fund as an example. A different approach, but the same long term results.

I've worked for and worked with good people who have made a mistake or two, maybe they were at the wrong place at the wrong time, and were then held in jail for a few days, causing them to loose their jobs and then making them more dependent on "the system". I personally think it is a step in the right direction.

Comment

So if they steal a bike from my garage to go to work, that's non-prosecutorial? Or steal gas from me to fill their cars to drive to the store, same thing?

Comment

Theft of Necessary Items
                              Study after study shows that when we arrest, jail, and convict people for non-violent crimes committed out of necessity, we only prevent that person from gaining the stability necessary to lead a law-abiding life. Criminalizing poverty is counter-productive for our community’s health and safety. For that reason, this office will not prosecute theft of personal items less than $750 unless the evidence shows that the alleged theft was for economic gain.
                              I agree with you on this. Economic gain is the key phrase here.[/QUOTE]

Check out the Brooklyn community bail fund as an example. A different approach, but the same long term results.

I've worked for and worked with good people who have made a mistake or two, maybe they were at the wrong place at the wrong time, and were then held in jail for a few days, causing them to loose their jobs and then making them more dependent on "the system". I personally think it is a step in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

I personally believe we should be 10x harder on crime. "Good" people will do much better avoiding illegal activities if they know they will be punished. Versus now where people know they won't be held accountable so why would they care?

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                              So if they steal a bike from my garage to go to work, that's non-prosecutorial? Or steal gas from me to fill their cars to drive to the store, same thing?
                              Correct.

Comment

Right up til the thump.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X