No announcement yet.

Anyone built there own skiff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My neighbor built a little 10’ skiff. Tunnel hull and a little center console. Looks like the little Mowdy S10. He built it out of wood, glasses and painted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
      My brother did an XF 20 with a tunnel and put a merc 115 on it.

Said it was a cool labor intensive project, but he would never do another. He has a huge shop he built it in.
      I'm thinking very basic, portable gas tank etc with a tiller, nothing fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
        I'm planning to one of these winters, but haven't yet. When y'all do, start us a follow along thread.

Sent from somewhere
        Will do, you fish the east cape that hunts tarpon at poc jetty?

Comment

I helped a guy build a plywood airboat with a Volkswagen engine
          It was cool building it but very very hot in the barn
          I personally wouldn’t expose the kids to all that chemical dust it will get every where ( eyes,ears, nose)
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-14-2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            My neighbor built a little 10’ skiff. Tunnel hull and a little center console. Looks like the little Mowdy S10. He built it out of wood, glasses and painted it.
            Cool. Was it a kit?

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
              Where in Houston sells marine plywood? I ordered mine online from Ohio.

Houston Hardwoods Company sells softwoods, hardwoods, exotic wood, plywood, MDF and melamine, edgebanding, and veneer sheeting.

Cool place to shop for those that fancy themselves a woodworker.

Buying from www.bateau.com is a good option too but the shipping is brutal if you have a place like Houston Hardwoods close enough to make the trip.

We have a place here in Nederland, Wes Vice Hardwoods, that I have ordered some good products through too but HH stocks lots of items.

T

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                Thanks for all the info Tim, I'll check out your build today. My boys are 18,22, and 24 and pretty handy, their skill level is much higher than mine, especially with fiberglass. We'll probably buy the pre-cut kit just to save some time on this first build.

Yeah, I was thinking that your boys were quite a bit younger. If you have the extra budget you cannot go wrong with the CNC precut kits for their boats. Great service from those guys and a truly interactive forum. If you start a build thread there many will follow and help y'all out with advice and encouragement if you get stuck on something. The designer, Jacques, will even answer questions and provide help.

T

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  I helped a guy build a plywood airboat with a Volkswagen engine
                  It was cool building it but very very hot in the barn
                  I personally wouldn’t expose the kids to all that chemical dust it will get every where ( eyes,ears, nose)

Thanks, we'll have proper safety gear and ventilation when it comes time to deal with the toxic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                    Yeah, I was thinking that your boys were quite a bit younger. If you have the extra budget you cannot go wrong with the CNC precut kits for their boats. Great service from those guys and a truly interactive forum. If you start a build thread there many will follow and help y'all out with advice and encouragement if you get stuck on something. The designer, Jacques, will even answer questions and provide help.

T
                    Compared to the Hell's Bay I want the kit is a steal. I looked at your build, wow! Amazing boat, cool the tunnel worked out with all the "experts" doubting you.

Comment

Cool story and great memories I bet! Did he glass the plywood or just paint it?
                      Glassed it.

Comment

Cool. Was it a kit?

Not sure. I can find out.

Comment

Will do, you fish the east cape that hunts tarpon at poc jetty?
                          I do not, unfortunately my little boat isn't a big fan of big water and I spend so much time overseas and up north it hardly leaves the back lakes and side channels.

Sent from somewhere

Comment

A few years back I was working for fedex. I had to take a cargo plane back to the states, long story short we crashed. I woke up alone on an island. I was there for a quite a while, I knew I wouldnt last much longer so I had to try and escape. So I made some rope, tied some logs together and made a skiff. Wilson and I set off the next day. We were at sea for weeks and finally a big freight ship me up and brought me home. Thats when I made my skiff.

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                              I do not, unfortunately my little boat isn't a big fan of big water and I spend so much time overseas and up north it hardly leaves the back lakes and side channels.

Sent from somewhere
                              Gotcha, somebody has an ec there that I saw catch two tarpon on the fly about 3 years ago, it was impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                                http://www.houstonhardwoods.com

Cool place to shop for those that fancy themselves a woodworker.

Buying from www.bateau.com is a good option too but the shipping is brutal if you have a place like Houston Hardwoods close enough to make the trip.

We have a place here in Nederland, Wes Vice Hardwoods, that I have ordered some good products through too but HH stocks lots of items.

T
                                Thanks. I paid $300 to have 11 sheets shipped from Ohio to Tyler. That's almost worth it to not have to haul 700 lbs of plywood 200 miles in a Nissan Frontier.

Comment

Working...
                                X