No announcement yet.

Home ac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a fuse in there, different locations on different unit's. I'f it's blown the board won't have power. You said Tou used the emergency electric heat. Occasionally my unit will pop the fuse if we accidentally switch the thermostat to electric heat. Kill all power and pull the cover and poke around for the fuse.
    If you have everything on and push the 24v connector outside does the outside unit come on?

Comment

When I turn on the AC, I will get 220 V to the contactor, but no power through the contactor.

Txoutdoorsman24, I am not sure what you mean by push the 24v connector. I don't see a place to push the contactor to allow 220 V to pass through it if that is what you mean.

When I push the button in the middle of the relay of the first picture, the reversing valve clicks like it is turning on.

I think I need to look for a fuse and I need to check the transformer to see if it is putting out 24V.

Comment

you may have a high head pressure safty on the out side unit that is resettable
        or you could have a low voltage wire broken that come from the inside unit or t stat

Comment

Maybe 24v coil on contactor is no good?

Comment

If you take those little screws out on the black cover on the contractor you will be able to push the contacts in and the unit should start. Sounds like your issue is the 24v coming to the contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
              When I turn on the AC, I will get 220 V to the contactor, but no power through the contactor.

Txoutdoorsman24, I am not sure what you mean by push the 24v connector. I don't see a place to push the contactor to allow 220 V to pass through it if that is what you mean.

When I push the button in the middle of the relay of the first picture, the reversing valve clicks like it is turning on.

I think I need to look for a fuse and I need to check the transformer to see if it is putting out 24V.
              On the contactor, there is a flat plastic cap over the contacts themselves. Remove the two small Phillips head screws and you can push in the contactor pads.
              Your relay is good sounds like. You could have ants, a spider, or lizards or some kind of insect in the contactor. That was a common problem for outside units not coming on. if not, the issue is coming from inside most likely.
              Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 04-10-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Your diagram shows a low pressure switch. If the refrigerant pressure is lower than the setting on this switch, nothing will run outside. Do you have a voltmeter? We can take a couple of readings and see what the problem is. Send me a pm

Comment

I just got out of the attic. It is hot up there. I found two issues. One of the wires coming from the 24v side of the Transformer touched the back of the heating element and was welded to it. It burned through the insulation. Also on the 240-volt side of the Transformer the common contact appears to be rigged and it just fell out when I touched it. I obviously need a new Transformer. I'm not exactly sure which one to get there's not all the writing on it like I expected. This is for a heat pump and it has a serial number with the last part of it 35a. I don't know if that means anything or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Transformer pics

Comment

I found it on Repair Clinic. It's a 208 or 240 volts to 24 volts transformer with a rating of 40 VA. Now I need to just find one

Comment

Got a grainger nearby?
                        any 208-240 x 24v 40va will work if it will mount. If you have a short somewhere, it could cause your transformer issues. Check your control wires outside for damage from pets or rodents. dogs like to chew on them for some reason.

Comment

I installed the transformer and I am still not getting 24v to the contactor at the condenser. I am kind of thinking it might be the time delay switches or the thermostat. I couldn't find a heat pump compatible thermostat locally.

When it was working, I would turn the system on and I would hear a click at the thermostat. I would then hear what sounded like water running and then about 30 seconds later the fan blower would turn on. Now I turn the system on, I hear the click, 30 seconds or so later the fan blower turns on. So I am missing the step where the compressor turns on which make me think one of the time delay switches is bad.

Comment

Did you ever get to look at the contactor and make sure it's good, nothing stuck in it?

Can you get to the wire terminals o nthe Tstat? If so, pull the face off and check to see it you have 24 to the red wire and Common, R terminal and C terminal. you have batteries in the thermostat right?

Comment

Turn Tstat to cool.

Does the blower inside come on, and not the outside unit, or nothing at all?

If nothing at all, you still have a low voltage issue of some sort.

If inside does come on, check for 24v across y and c where it comes into the outdoor unit (usually wire nutted right inside the unit). If you are getting 24v, your problem is likely a pressure switch or relay. If not, go back inside and trace back to where you are losing your 24v call.

Comment

I installed a new contactor first.

When I turn the system to cool the blower comes on, but not anything outside.

The electric heater works, but not the heat pump because once again the condenser will not turn on.

I can get to the terminals in the thermostat. Does it need to have 24 volts with the unit off or in cool or does it matter?

While looking around inside the condenser I found this switch. Where does it go and how does it work? I assume it's a thermal switch.

Comment

Working...
                                X