No announcement yet.

Upper end bino question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had a set of Zeiss Conquest 12x45 binos for over 15 years and really like them. If money was no object, I’d have Swarovskis.

Comment

Not to hijak but is there a big difference in ELs and SLC swaros?

Comment

Buy the best you can and your eyes will thank you. I have had 10x50 Swaros for 16 years that I use almost daily. Excellent customer service as well.

Comment

Swaro

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
            Not to hijak but is there a big difference in ELs and SLC swaros?
            The design and coating on the SLC were meant for hunters. The EL were made for nature watchers. The ergonomics and looks of the EL are attractive to hunters, plus the double bridge design screams Swarovski .

I've played with both in the field, the SLC were better in low light but I could pick out bedded sheep and deer better with the ELs. I went with the ELs since I got them pretty close to the same price.

Just my opinions

Comment

I’ve had Nikon EDG 10x32 for almost 10 years. Great glass!

Comment

I’m in the market as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just buy a spotting scope.

Comment

I looked at all brands available, then saved and bought Swaros. Best purchase I've ever made for hunting. I've got the EL Range 10x42, next purchase will be the new HD 15x56.

Comment

What is the primary use of the binos and how will they be used? That definitely comes into play in order to properly answer your question. If glassing close brush, etc. then 8x for the larger field of view. If wide open country then maybe 10x. Free hand or mounted to a tripod, etc.?

Keep in mind that the higher the magnification the harder it is to stabilize the image. I use Swaro EL 8x42's for pretty much everything. I found that I actually see better through the 8x vs. 10x since the image is more stabile. 12x maybe and 15x I definitely would want to be mounted to a tripod to get the full benefit of the higher magnification. Look through some 8's - you may be surprised. I have a pair of Viper 8x42's and they are pretty decent glass for the money. I have many times spotted game with the Swaro 8's that others with lower end or older 10x had missed.In the end the old adage of buy once - cry once does hold true when it comes to optics.

Comment

Swaro slc 10x42's here. Bought off ebay 11 years ago for $650. The best money I ve ever spent on hunting equipment hands down. I coach golf and can use them 3-4 holes over to follow golf balls in flight. Seen a lot of good shots and a bunch of bad shots. I'll ask a kid why did you hit a driver on #4 when we talked about a 3 wood ? They say how did you see all that. Pretty simple, I was on hole #6 watching you do it!
                        Last edited by Abcdj; 10-17-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I will atleast go for 10x. Really stuck on having range finder built in or not. Would be nice to call distance out to hunters faster. Most of our hunting is 200 yards or under. I use binos at least two days a week all year long.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                            I will atleast go for 10x. Really stuck on having range finder built in or not. Would be nice to call distance out to hunters faster. Most of our hunting is 200 yards or under. I use binos at least two days a week all year long.

I may be different then most but a Nikon Monarch in anything is all you need for regular hunting. Now for PRS or long range shooting and long range hunting that’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bought some Leicas a few weeks ago and wow you can tell a big difference in the low light compared to what I used before. They are a little on the heavy side but crystal clear.

Comment

The 10x42 ELs are going to be tough to beat for the top shelf You seek amigo. Leica is good but be warned they will hamstring you under any warranty hicup in their favor. Horrible reputation with claims to back it up.

I personally don't handle any power over 10x very well holding them off hand...the best out there fore the true spotting guide & mobile glasser are the 20x60 zeiss stabilizer with the gyro button. Absolutely magnificent glass for a more dedicated application, but due to size & being somewhat fragile aren't ideal for most common hunting practices.

I wouldn't pony up for the extra $$$ for laser range finders unless I was calling regular shots 350-400+ as a norm. It's a nice addy & dad has the 10x rangers in zeiss but the lighter Els being held constantly for actual visual vs pinging a distance is 100 to 1 in use

Comment

Working...
                                X