Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a crash course on Turkey hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    . Even if you are not that good at sounding like a turkey hens you hear on a video, don't get discouraged. I have had one of my box calls screw up on me and was making the most horrible raspy sounds. Sounded like some one hen that had spent her like hanging out in a bars drinking hard alcohol all her life. But that horrible sounding call, brought a tom in.
    Tons of good advice here. RBP sums it up pretty good. What he said about not sounding perfect rings true.
    I was hunting public land in Ohio way back when and heard the worst sounding call I have ever heard. TERRIBLE, convinced some yahoo hunter was out there 100 yards from me I was packing up to leave when this horrible sounding hen comes walking down the path towards me,,,,,

Comment

Got the call this afternoon. Will be there with my 11 and 17 year olds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post

Cool. I haven't heard from the hunt master yet. Looking forward to a good hunt.

Hoggslayer

Comment

DONT MOVE!!! They have great eyesight!

Comment

Originally posted by KevinAndy View Post
            Gobblers can come in silent sometimes so be patient. I have had them come in from blind side several times and didn't hear them until they were close enough to hear them drumming.
            I shot a big tom last spring the same way you're describing. I was about to stop hunting for the morning and go grab some breakfast. I didn't think there was a turkey within a million miles of where I was sitting. Then all of a sudden I was like hey wait a minute that's a turkey drumming. He had snuck in behind me and a little to the left. Luckily I was able to get him.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post

PM sent

Hoggslayer

Comment

If you need a ground blind I have one you can borrow. (I'm the guy that came and got the white bed you offered up)

Comment

Lots of good information here. Like most have stated, Really good cut on contact, OR you might look at picking up some Magnus Bull heads. I don't encourage everyone to shoot head shots, as I don't make it a first preference, BUT if they get close enough it's a quick down bird.
                  PLEASE take a little time and really review the vitals on turkeys. Not much to run an arrow through, and don't expect blood. They are birds and seem to be without.
                  I use a slate call, and last season the birds we took did come in silent. Just "showed up" the best tom I took drummed a few feet from me in the brush. Until then I had no idea he was there.

Forgot to say, I hope they set ya'll up well, and best to you and your daughter.
                  Last edited by Dry Bones; 03-11-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Only other thing I can add... If turkeys had a nose like a deer, they'd be dang near unkillable! 'course if a deer had eyes like a turkey they WOULD be unkillable!!
                    Good luck to you and your daughter... Waitin' on LDP's rat now!

Comment

Turkey hunting is a BLAST.

Comment

If you have to move, wait for the bird to be in full strut and is turned away from you.

Comment

Weather forecast looking nice!

Comment

If nothing is working, walk around a bit and call to see if you can get a response. Later in the morning the hens will get bred and the toms will be out by themselves. Here are some evening turkey hunting tips if the morning isn't very productive.

Comment

If its raining, don't let that deter you. Other than the noise it makes on the leaves and all, they will still respond to calls. I used to think it was time to quit but very much the opposite.
                              If you don't have a blind, sit up against the largest diameter tree you can find, to call from.
                              Good luck, its the most exciting time of the year! Post pics later.

Comment

They workin in my area.. never shot a turkey.. hoping to change that this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X