Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a crash course on Turkey hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use some hen decoys and a jake . Toms hate a jake around their hens and will come in. Do not, I repeat, do not over call. And the box calls are the easiest to use. Good luck.

Comment

Turkeys eyesight is there best defense. See colors very well. If not provided, you'll want a popup for bow hunting and face paint or mask. Hen decoy and a box call is the easiest call to use and she can learn to use it decently with a couple times of practice. Look up on youtube a hen turkey yelp and try to duplicate it. We put in for same hunt, hadn't heard anything yet. Good luck to yall!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        T Anchor March 15-17. Just paid the hunt fee about 30 min ago. She's is excited.

Hoggslayer
        Awesome, we'll look forward to meeting you there! T-Anchor and Rick (huntmaster) are as good as it gets IMO. Rick is a really great guy and the T Anchor is an amazing ranch. I'll send you a PM with some more details but honestly what I've learned on these hunts - and I've been on bunch over the years starting with my boys when they were younger - is to not make the focus on getting the animal, if you do it can end up taking something away from the experience. Instead focus on enjoying the time with your daughter in a new place and meeting new people and seeing new things. If you get an animal that's a great bonus. I've never been on a TYHP hunt that hasn't been great. And yes, Rick typically has some volunteers there to guide for those who want them.

See you next weekend!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
          Awesome, we'll look forward to meeting you there! T-Anchor and Rick (huntmaster) are as good as it gets IMO. Rick is a really great guy and the T Anchor is an amazing ranch. I'll send you a PM with some more details but honestly what I've learned on these hunts - and I've been on bunch over the years starting with my boys when they were younger - is to not make the focus on getting the animal, if you do it can end up taking something away from the experience. Instead focus on enjoying the time with your daughter in a new place and meeting new people and seeing new things. If you get an animal that's a great bonus. I've never been on a TYHP hunt that hasn't been great. And yes, Rick typically has some volunteers there to guide for those who want them.

See you next weekend!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
          I've been on one TYHP hunt and it was top notch. Sounds like this one will be also. Looking forward to it.

Comment

For a lower poundage bow may be best to go with a gobbler guillotine or something of the sorts to take a head shot with if that’s the case closer the better. If you go that route have your hen deek no further than 15 yards and facing you from
            Your pop up

Comment

Be patient and learn to sit still. If those birds notice movement, it's pretty much over. They can see 270 degrees in about 32k color. Good luck. IT IS MUCH FUN!

Comment

get where they are going and tell em what they want to hear...

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                  get where they are going and tell em what they want to hear...
                  Oh, just like hunting women in my younger days.

Comment

Comment

Pop up box call corn and luck

Comment

Going to be extremely hard to get a bird with a compound bow

Watch bow/Turkey videos on YouTube

Tree night b4

Hunt middle of the day

Like dove hunting if you can see them they already saw you

Practice saying. “ chalk, chalk, chalk, chalk”
                        Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 03-06-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I took my son on a TYHP turkey hunt about 3 years ago. Everyone had a great time, but here wasn't much luck. It took me until last May for me to finally connect on a turkey (definitely not on a TYHP hunt). I am constantly amazed at how an animal as big as a turkey can move so quickly and quietly. If you have access to a crossbow, and it's allowed on the hunt, your daughter might have better luck with that than using a bow. By the way, get your daughter a box call and have her practice using it to make a gobble - plenty of You Tube videos on that. Her gobbles won't sound great, but I think that's what draws the toms in - they think the gobbles are from young jakes, and they want to show them who's boss.

Best of luck to your daughter.

Regards,

Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                            If possible roost them the night before. Go out right before dark try to avoid turkey calls to get them to gobble. Owl hoot or crow call or what ever will make them sound off. Go in early don’t get too close and be quiet. Don’t over call use the KISS method don’t over think calling. Use something simple your comfortable working. Ground blinds are worth there weight in gold bow hunting turkeys

This

Comment

Good luck turkey hunting can be a blast. I love hunting turkey. My daughter wants to hunt turkey, she has learned to use my box calls. She used to call up turkey when I was at work. Then call me and tell me about the turkey she called in. My wife would not let us shoot one, she thinks they are too beautiful to shoot. I agree they are beautiful, but they also taste great.

Some of the things I can tell you, turkey have great eye sight. They can pick you out quickly and take off, before you see them. So you need to be well hidden. Then always count on them coming in from the direction, you least think they will. When you are calling one in, it is common, for them to keep answering, then stop answering, when they get within 150 yards, then circle around you and pop out 30 yards away and blast away with a loud gobble, while you are scanning hard in the direction the bird was coming from.

Some of the things to remember, don't call too often, more so when there are not any gobblers gobbling. If you don't hear any, make some calls, off and on, then stop and listen for 15 minutes to 20 minutes. I can call a turkey in from a 1/2 mile away or farther. They can hear you from a couple miles away or farther, that is no BS. Once you hear one that is off a ways, make some loud calls, the stop and wait and listen. If you can sound like a hen, but then make it sound like she is not overly interested and is walking away, that tom will likely run and or fly flat out for 1/2 mile and be 40 yards from you in no time. Then you have to be careful. You will often have more than one gobbler come in at the same time, from different directions. They always get inside of 100 yards about the same time. I have had four turkey around me on four different sides, trying to not be seen, while trying to find one of them and then make a game plan on which one to shoot or try and shoot. Those situations, you likely will scare one, then they all haul butt in a flash.

I use box calls. I have been hunting turkey since I was a teenager, back then we had turkeys. So I practiced by listening to the hens and copied them. I have three box calls, both sides of each call will produce a different tone, so each call will sound like two different hens. Hens almost always travel in groups. So I always carry all three calls. I will use all three calls, most of the calling I will do is soft. Unless I hear a tom that is way out there 1/2 mile or farther. Then I will sound off with some loud calls. I will alternate between calls, so it sounds like a group of hens walking along clucking and pecking the ground for food. They are always walking and grazing. I will pay attention to which call a tom responds to the most. I use that call to try and talk him in, but still use all three, but use the one he seems to respond to, to answer his calls.

Always remember, when the birds get closer, 300 yards and closing, call less and call softer. They will hear the call, more so early in the morning with a light fog, low clouds and dew on everything. Do not move, when they come into view at first, because they are going to be looking hard, trying to find that hen or hens. If they pick you out, they will most likely be gone in a flash. Some of them only have one thing on their minds and woke spook for any reason.

Then one trick I have found works great over the years. Is I will go out and call one afternoon and listen, listen more than call. I listen very carefully. Where we used to live, the turkey seemed to stay down the road more often than where we were. I would call on a Friday or Saturday afternoon, when I knew the next day, I would not be going into work early. Sometimes I would hear or think I occasionally heard a very faint tom gobbling from a long ways off, probably over a mile. But I would not be sure, but thought a couple times I did hear a tom. I would do that late afternoon, 5:00 to 6:00 PM. Almost every time, early the next morning, I would get woke up by a tom or two out in the pasture gobbling loudly. Basically if the toms hear a hen late afternoon, both the tom and hen are going to be heading to a roosting area, by that time of the day. So early the next morning, he knows that the hen he heard that previous afternoon, will be somewhere around where he last heard her. So he will go straight towards where he last heard her.
                              That was something I used to do every spring, call late afternoon, to get a tom to show up at the house early the next morning. Then once they were in the pasture, either I or my daughter would grab the calls and call the bird into the yard. Pretty cool having a tom or three strutting around in your yard first thing in the morning. My wife would never let me shoot them. Before I met her, I turkey hunted a lot, since, I have just worked on perfecting my calling. My wife has finally decided it's ok for me to shoot a turkey, as long as she does not see me shoot it.

You should pick out a few different types of calls, box calls, slate calls, mouth calls. See what you do best with. If you use box calls or slate calls, you will really want to get at least two different calls, to make different sounding hens. Then find some videos of guys calling or find videos of turkey hens clucking, pecking, ect. So you get a better idea of how they normally talk, how often and how soft. Also, typically I do soft little pecks or clucks, with a couple different calls. Even if you are not that good at sounding like a turkey hens you hear on a video, don't get discouraged. I have had one of my box calls screw up on me and was making the most horrible raspy sounds. Sounded like some one hen that had spent her like hanging out in a bars drinking hard alcohol all her life. But that horrible sounding call, brought a tom in.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinAndy View Post
                                Gobblers can come in silent sometimes so be patient. I have had them come in from blind side several times and didn't hear them until they were close enough to hear them drumming.

This is sooooo true
                                The reply’s about less calling is more and sit longer than you think you should are very important to follow.

I’ve missed many an opportunity on gobblers that will answer from a distance and then shut up..... then 10 minutes later they magically appear 10 yards away on my off side!!!
                                What a rush

Comment

Working...
                                X