Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a crash course on Turkey hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter got drawn for a TYHP turkey hunt. She's all dialed in with here bow, but Dad has never been turkey hunting. I'm hoping it will be guided like the last TYHP hunt she went on, but I'm not sure. Any special broadhead, call or decoy advice would be appreciated. Anyone ever take there kid on on of these TYHP turkey hunts?
    Attached Files

fixed broadhead, wide cut....slate call.....go on line and listen to sounds....a little practice.....turkeys are very wary....can see and hear extremely well....but in the spring are pretty gullible....any hen decoy will work...good luck

Comment

Get yourself a push button call, Less calling is more. The call is not loud and it doesn't have to be, they can hear a long way off. I have kill more turkey's with a push button call then any other. Crow call is a good locator call if you have to find them in the morning. Hit the crow call before daylight.
      Last edited by Bassdeer; 03-06-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Most TYHP will have a guide with you. Just shoot straight.

Contact the huntmaster and see if the guides will be calling them in for you or if it's DIY

Good luck.
        Last edited by AntlerCollector; 03-06-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Take a shotgun if you are new. Call less than you want to and sit longer than you think you need to before moving.

Comment

If possible roost them the night before. Go out right before dark try to avoid turkey calls to get them to gobble. Owl hoot or crow call or what ever will make them sound off. Go in early don’t get too close and be quiet. Don’t over call use the KISS method don’t over think calling. Use something simple your comfortable working. Ground blinds are worth there weight in gold bow hunting turkeys
            Last edited by Jcjohnson; 03-06-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I would use a feeding hen decoy or 2....(head down feeding decoys) and a jake decoy behind them looking towards you. I would not set them up at you max range either, I would set them up 10-15 yards inside your max range in case that mature Tom hangs up short....if he hangs up short and your dekes are at your max range then he is out of range but if hangs up short of the dekes but they are inside your max range...chances are he is hung up but hung up in range.
              I also agree with the push button call and keep it to a minimum. If you decide to use a manual call, I'd go with a diaphragm call and learn to just do a few basic calls....simply because it requires no movement with your hands like a slate or box call does. Like was said earlier.....THEM SUNNY BEACHES CAN SURE ENOUGH SEE!!!!

Comment

Beware the lead hen. It's her job to bust you. And she will.

Comment

If she's gonna try it with a bow, get yourself a pop up!! Turkeys will not pay that pop up any attention. Set a decoy out at about 15 yards. Download the primos game call app and use the turkey calls that are on it. The phone volume is plenty loud enough... IF they let you bait, use some corn.

Likely her bow is a low poundage bow, so just use a normal FIXED blade cut on contact head like you would for low poundage bows when deer hunting. Shoot the turkey just above the leg and slightly forward of it...

Eezy...peezy...

Comment

Following along. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With her bow and assuming light pull weight, cut on contact fixed blade is a must. I’ve seen a 33 lb pull bounce off a turkey with a slick trick chisel head for a member’s girl just about her age.

YouTube has a huge assortment of videos to watch and learn .

Comment

I pulled in on three setups for my wife one morning. She got busted all three. 4th setup she took the Beretta bow and killed a double beard

Comment

Gobblers can come in silent sometimes so be patient. I have had them come in from blind side several times and didn't hear them until they were close enough to hear them drumming.

Comment

Which TYHP hunt? My daughter and I will be at the T Anchor hunt and have been on several.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                              Which TYHP hunt? My daughter and I will be at the T Anchor hunt and have been on several.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
                              T Anchor March 15-17. Just paid the hunt fee about 30 min ago. She's is excited.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Working...
                              X