X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the Advise

Comment

Very very wise chew.
      My first attempt at harvesting was very similar... It tears me apart every time I think about it.... Told myself I needed a 20 yard or less shot since it was my first time. But light was fading and he wouldn't get any closer then 30 yards... Unfortunately I tried talking the shot but I was only pulling 60 pounds at the time and my bow made a noise as I released the arrow and that extra 10yards gave him enough time to drop his front legs back and protect his arm pit which was exposed when I released... Tracked him for over .5 of a mile only to have a fellow leaser shoot him the following day... He was a 142' 8 point
      Him being broadside and 10extra yards changed the outcome drastically. Never go out of your comfort zone on flinging a arrow. It's better to have the buck healthy and walking the next day then suffering from a stupid mistake

Comment

I'm one of those who will be looking for the first shot on opening day.
        This is great advise that I will keep running through my mind when is time to make a shot.

-Gonzo

Comment

As a first year bow hunter, I would like to say thank you. I have always considered myself to be an ethical hunter, but hearing this from you guys will no doubt keep it fresh in my mind to wait on the right shot. Making a bad shot and only wounding a deer is my biggest fear. But, I have been shooting alot and I know my limitations. Now I will just have to control the "fever" and make a smart shot. Thanks for the stories and advice!

Comment

Brother Chew speaks the truth...I've taken several new bow hunters on a hunt and it never fells - big deer or big buck, first deer - bad shot.... oh so true.....good luck everyone. Maybe god be with you....

Comment

Great words from everyone. And Chew, your blackbuck looks amazing!

Comment

What I tell the new bowhunters that come to my ranch is to take a 3D target out before hunting and take a few shots out if that stand,and also when the deer walks out for the first time close your eyes and try to remember all the advice given to you, and that clams you down also!

Comment

Anyone else have any stories on losing a deer as a new Bowhunter due to bow fever?

Comment

Thanks Chew, Great reminder!

Comment

good advice Chew!

Comment

One more pre-season bump! Get your game face on fellers.

Comment

Great reminder

Comment

Thank you for the post. Great advice.

Comment

Good reminder. On my first deer, I choked up and shot right over a doe as she ducked on my first shot, was ate up about it then thankful as a nice 8 point came by and instinct took over and thoughts disappeared as I smoked him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That should be published!

Shank 'em!

Comment

Working...
                                X