No announcement yet.

A little bow season advice...learned the hard way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great great post. I constantly talk myself thru every shot. Your normal routine. Cause if I don't the excitement during the shot overwhelms me. Then leads to poor judgment. Then thats when bad things happen. No matter what Animal i shooting at. Breath and take your time.

Comment

I'll add to this and it isn't restricted to the new bow hunter. I've been bowhunting since I was 12 I'm now 27. That means I have now hunted longer than I haven't Last year I had the opportunity to get on a true trophy lease. I have taken some nice deer but never a BIG one. I started getting velvet pics of this buck and watched him grow from a "management buck" to a mid 150's 11pt

After 3 encounters with the buck 1 at 5 yards I finally got my chance. I had just drawn on a 130 class 8pt and decided to not shoot the biggest deer I'd ever drawn on because that evening felt RIGHT. If this mature 8 was in the corn at 4:30 that big one might come in. That thought had no more than gone through my head when I looked up the hill and he was coming!

I had prayed several times that this deer come in a certain way. "God if you'll just make that buck do this I'll handle the rest" and that's EXACTLY what that buck did. He walked behind the mesquite and I drew. He was only 14 yards, a CHIP SHOT! He was in a steady walk and I put my 20yd pin a grunt low. I told myself to grunt and stop him and immediately stopped myself and shot the buck walking, after all he was only 14 yards!

I watched the arrow go in just in front of his flank. Praying for a liver hit I watched him bed down for 2 hrs until dark. I left him alone over night and returned early the next morning to only find 2 golf ball size spots of blood. I called Matt McWilliams and Smoke out and in spite of the dog and owner's famed reputation 4.5hrs later we still hadn't found the deer. This trail of events can be searched on the forum.

I was ABSOLUTELY destroyed. I almost gave up bowhunting all together. I made the decision to take a walking shot and lost possibly the biggest buck I'll ever encounter. If it hadn't been for "Keep" giving me a good talk via PM I very likely may have. This buck haunts my dreams. Well not the buck I guess but the decision to take a walking shot. I dot care how many times you see it on the Outdoor Channel DON'T DO IT!!!

Here's the buck I lost...

Comment

Great thread Bobby.

It's true, been there myself and it's a gut wrenching feeling. Had it happen a couple of weeks ago on a nice Red Deer. After hunting hard for 2 days and having maybe 30 seconds before I draw, I rushed my shot and dropped my bow arm. 30 yard chip shot caught him very low. Trailed him the next day for 500+ yards then he quit bleeding.

He's still alive and I'll have my rematch with him. Other times for me and other folks, aren't that lucky to have a 2nd chance. The deer will go off to die without the well deserved respect of the animal that it so deserves.

Even if you've got them in at 20 yards and you think to yourself, "I practice at 40 yards, this deer is mine". That isn't always the case. I've had deer at 20 yards +/- for over 30 minutes before and NEVER had a good clean shot opportunity. Always another deer in the way when the one I want is turning broadside, a tree in the way... always something. Those are difficult because you have so long to study the animal so close and you will be nervous and likely rush the shot. ALWAYS take your time and give the animal the respect of a good, clean well placed shot for a quick humane kill. After all, no one wants to track a deer all night... I like 'em that are down within sight!

Good luck everyone this season, wear your safety harness, keep your phone on you and ALWAYS let someone else know where you're going and what time you should be home.

Pick a hair and hit it! Stay safe y'all!
        Last edited by Tubby; 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Great read and advice!

Comment

How true,great writeup!

Comment

Great thread, and reminder for everyone.

Comment

Thanks for being a great steward of the sport Chew.

Comment

Great post Chew - truer words were never spoken! The "brain fog" that sets in is incredible. After you screw up you look back and say "#$!@!#! how long have I been preparing for that moment? How could I blow it like that?" The one thing that helps me - and I still do it - is to practice my breathing and pre-shot routine when young deer come in that I don't want to shoot - pick a spot, wait for the right angle, etc.

Comment

There are a lot of lucky hunters to have read your post of your gut-wrenching experience and even a humble admission that you messed up as a new bow hunter. Those same people are even luckier if they follow your advice and not commit the same error. Then these same people are finally really lucky to have been here on the green screen and have read your post. You are one fine man, brother, and hunter Bobby Chew .... God bless you man.
                    Last edited by native_texan; 09-23-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Yup. Great post. I had it happen a few years back. Still makes me sick

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Nice write up for sure! Been there and done that too, many years ago. Made a rookie move and shot at a doe in a hurry due to major adrenaline. I should have ranged her first, but I just made a guess and ended up making a brisket shot. She ended up standing about 28 yards out and I used my 20 yard pin, duh... Blood trail was a drop about every 5 feet for what seemed to be miles. 4 hours later, we threw in the towel, I knew it was a poorly placed shot and she would heal up. I was so depressed, I didn't go back out for several days. I now let my heart race when I see a deer and calm myself down after a few minutes if he/she stays in range long enough. I won't make a shot anymore if I can't calm down to make a steady and well placed shot.

Comment

Great advice and when you do have a shot present itself dont just anchor and let it fly when the pin is on the deer. Wait for that front leg to go forward and send it right up the crease. Take a moment and get settled, pick a spot. All the excitement of getting an arrow off will come crushing down if you make a bad shot. Good luck all!

Sent from Texas via tapatalk!

Comment

Good reminder for even us "seasoned" bowhunters that get a once-in-a-lifetime buck in front of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X