No announcement yet.

Considering a Traeger pellet smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not get rid of the offset as it will outperform any pellet grill. However, Pellet Grills are nice and easy to use. I have both an offset and a Pit Boss pellet grill and use both depending on what I am smoking and what I have going on. Below are my thoughts

-Offset smoker will put out better barbecue, period. Especially beef. For pork, chicken, etc... The pellet grill does a fantastic job, and is probably too close to tell the difference.

-Pellet Grills do not put out the same amount or kind of smoke and I think this is the biggest reason that the offset is still supreme.

-Pellet grills are super easy, and nice when you have a lot going on, or want to cook overnight and still be able to sleep. I also use mine as an outdoor oven often times. Chicken wings at 350 for 45 minutes and tossed in buffalo sauce are delicious.

The main takeaway is pellet grills are a tool with a purpose. Don't view them as a do all smoker as you will be disappointed. The ease that they offer is too great to ignore, especially since it will mean you are cooking more than you would otherwise. As popular as they are getting, I don't think it is too far off that they figure out how to get the right kind and amount of smoke to truly do offset quality food, but it just isn't there yet.

Comment

I've had my Yoder since 2017 and neve had a lick of trouble out of it.

I'm happy to tell anyone that is considering getting a pellet smoker, the only regret you will have is that you didn't buy one sooner.

Comment

I see your big into the new famous DAD HOBBY! Backyard grilling

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
          I'm not a "pro" but I will weigh in with my experience. If you like smoked meat, there is no beating a stick burner. The results aren't even comparable. The "bark" on a pellet grill brisket is a joke. Maybe it is better with supplemental smoke added? I'm sure yall will post pics of beautiful bark off a pellet grill but i am sharing my personal experience. As far as grilling on a pellet grill, they are pretty convenient. The downside is that I like to cook over direct fire, not in a box heated by fire. So the direct fire in most pellet grills is coming out of 3-4" hole. I can do 2 to 3 burger patties at a time or 2 smallish steaks. Results are better if you do one burger at a time or one steak.

The only place it wins is convenience.
          This is my experience as well. It convenient for grilling during the week but doesn't compare taste wise to actually cooking over hot wood coals.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
            I would not get rid of the offset as it will outperform any pellet grill. However, Pellet Grills are nice and easy to use. I have both an offset and a Pit Boss pellet grill and use both depending on what I am smoking and what I have going on. Below are my thoughts

-Offset smoker will put out better barbecue, period. Especially beef. For pork, chicken, etc... The pellet grill does a fantastic job, and is probably too close to tell the difference.

-Pellet Grills do not put out the same amount or kind of smoke and I think this is the biggest reason that the offset is still supreme.

-Pellet grills are super easy, and nice when you have a lot going on, or want to cook overnight and still be able to sleep. I also use mine as an outdoor oven often times. Chicken wings at 350 for 45 minutes and tossed in buffalo sauce are delicious.

The main takeaway is pellet grills are a tool with a purpose. Don't view them as a do all smoker as you will be disappointed. The ease that they offer is too great to ignore, especially since it will mean you are cooking more than you would otherwise. As popular as they are getting, I don't think it is too far off that they figure out how to get the right kind and amount of smoke to truly do offset quality food, but it just isn't there yet.
            This
            I have 2 that I use exclusively for Texas Twinkies. I prefer an offset for everything else.

OP I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mainstream ones. Pit Boss ReqTeq Traeger, etc.
            Every brand will have horror stories

Comment

I'm not a "pro" but I will weigh in with my experience. If you like smoked meat, there is no beating a stick burner. The results aren't even comparable. The "bark" on a pellet grill brisket is a joke. Maybe it is better with supplemental smoke added? I'm sure yall will post pics of beautiful bark off a pellet grill but i am sharing my personal experience. As far as grilling on a pellet grill, they are pretty convenient. The downside is that I like to cook over direct fire, not in a box heated by fire. So the direct fire in most pellet grills is coming out of 3-4" hole. I can do 2 to 3 burger patties at a time or 2 smallish steaks. Results are better if you do one burger at a time or one steak.

The only place it wins is convenience.

You didn’t say what pellet grill your experience is with. Please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                I see your big into the new famous DAD HOBBY! Backyard grilling
                new?

Comment

I went with a Yoder and have zero complaints. They all have their place in smoking, I have things I prefer in the Egg and others I prefer in the offset but who has time to babysit a 18 hour smoke these days? I know I don’t so all long smokes with the Yoder,

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                    You didn’t say what pellet grill your experience is with. Please share.

Yes that is relevant. Mine is a pit boss and i think every one i have had food off of is as well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes that is relevant. Mine is a pit boss and i think every one i have had food off of is as well.

Thanks. Not familiar with those.

Comment

I have had my Rec Tec 700 for almost 3 years and I love it. I also have a Primo XL and I have used it once to grill 4 lobsters this year. I will keep the Primo for charcoal grilling but the 700 gets all the work done. The simplicity is what I like, start up from your phone while prepping meat and the temp control is perfect.

I did a lot of research on all the grills before I spent the $$. I looked at Yoder and Pitts & Spitts and did not go that route due to extra costs and another factor on the P&S. I have a good friend that purchased a Yoder 640 a few months before my purchase. We cook a lot together and share a lot of info. He likes my 700 for size and ease of cooking & cleaning. He has found that if he does not clean his pit after each cook, he gets some unwanted flavors. I have never had that from my 700 and will clean it every month or so, changing foil and cleaning out the ash.

Another point of the 700 that I like is the short auger distance. I read in a lot of places that auger distance will cause feed problems in high humidity areas. I think the auger is the shortest of all the grills out there due to the rear feed. It will also hold 40 pounds of pellets. I am not one to change pellets and only use one type.

Honestly, I spent too much time researching and should have made the purchase sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          I have had my Rec Tec 700 for almost 3 years and I love it. I also have a Primo XL and I have used it once to grill 4 lobsters this year. I will keep the Primo for charcoal grilling but the 700 gets all the work done. The simplicity is what I like, start up from your phone while prepping meat and the temp control is perfect.

I did a lot of research on all the grills before I spent the $$. I looked at Yoder and Pitts & Spitts and did not go that route due to extra costs and another factor on the P&S. I have a good friend that purchased a Yoder 640 a few months before my purchase. We cook a lot together and share a lot of info. He likes my 700 for size and ease of cooking & cleaning. He has found that if he does not clean his pit after each cook, he gets some unwanted flavors. I have never had that from my 700 and will clean it every month or so, changing foil and cleaning out the ash.

Another point of the 700 that I like is the short auger distance. I read in a lot of places that auger distance will cause feed problems in high humidity areas. I think the auger is the shortest of all the grills out there due to the rear feed. It will also hold 40 pounds of pellets. I am not one to change pellets and only use one type.

Honestly, I spent too much time researching and should have made the purchase sooner.
                          My pit boss jams all the dang time. Ive taken it apart so many times that im considering modifying it to be able to correct the problem without disassembly.

Comment

Now is the time to start looking at sales going on for the holidays

Comment

Working...
                            X