No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The experiment has begun. I planted today with no tilling at all. I broadcast the seeds.....

I/C peas
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364934110654.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	24186983

Inoculated soybeans

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364934130392.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24186985

I also planted some sorghum and corn to give the peas something to climb up.

Then I cultipacked, mowed, and sprayed
    Its raining right now. I hope the Gly doesn't wash off with this rain.

We had 6/10ths on Sunday and the creek is finally running again.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364934751425.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	24186996

Tapachat

Comment

looks great uncle

Comment

I hope it grows for you!

Comment

Some of the soybeans and peas are up. Decent germination...not great...but I expected that going in with the no plow method.

Coming up thru the stubble...Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365611371016.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	24190048

I didn't get a great kill with the Gly but most of it is oats.... which won't make it past May anyway.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365611516471.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	24190049

I fertilized and its raining as I type...got to love it.

The clover looks outstanding...

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365611642258.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	24190050

Durana and crimson...

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365611688392.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	24190051

Tapachat

Comment

I planted some chinqapin oaks and they are budding out in the tree tubes.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365612002210.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	24190053

About half of the Virginia Pines are doing good.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365612093288.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	24190054

The other half is either dead or pulled up by critters.

Tapachat

Comment

nice work

Comment

I am interested to see how your no-till planting goes, that is how I plan to do my whole property

Comment

I mowed about half my oat / clover river plot and no tilled in soy beans and sorghum into the other half. Have got two good rains since and will be going to check them this weekend.

Got irrigation pipe repair supplies also; should be able to irrigate this plot most of the summer, river is running well.

Great thread and your plots look great.

Comment

Well the experiment with the no till / throw and mow plots is underway. Overall its not that good with the soybeans and I/C peas. Germination was probably 40%. The Sorghum had much better germination. Right now it needs rain bad....I may end up replanting the whole thing....gonna wait a few more weeks and see if it a good soaking rain will help.

Some of the low spots in the plot look good but overall the peas/beans didn't do well.

The sorghum which has much smaller seed and is better suited to the mow/ throw/cultipack method.......is doing much better.

The oats has headed out and was starting to shade out the Durana clover.

So mowing was on the agenda...

Mowing frees up the clover and makes it tender for the deer.

Comment

I see you got some of those beetles to. I plan on discing and planting oats in September where our peas/beans are now. Would it be a good idea to throw in some clover? or just straight oats?

Comment

Yep I have some of those pesky bugs too. Clover/Oats or Clover/Cereal Rye are great fall combos! Its the best time to plant clover down here in Texas.

On that note I have done the throw/mow/pack method for oats, rye, and clover and it worked great....
                        much smaller seeds to work with.

Tapachat

Comment

will you spray your spring plot at some point, septemberish i'm guessing, and prep for the fall plots?

you dont include any wheat in the fall plots?

Comment

looks great uncle

Comment

Yep right after labor day I'll spray and then plant just ahead of a good rain. I haven't planted wheat.....mainly elbon rye and oats in the mix.....no particular reason other than the deer here eat the crap out of it. Rye is fantastic for soil building too. I've got some chicory I'm gonna plant this fall as well.

We also hunt doves here and I'll shred the croton about mid august. I have hundreds and hundreds of whitewings here from time to time....I mean flocks of 300-400 in a bunch. When we kill them they are full of gum bumelia berries and croton.

Comment

Jut got some screening seeds in.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369258319279.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	24202637

This stuff should get 10+ feet tall. I'm gonna wait to plant though until we get another chance of rain....we missed the rain yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X