Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warrington View Post
    Instead of pulling up the hog panels
    Just add the cattle panels to them. Not height wise but on the ground. This will reinforce the bottom third of it and save you some work
    Good idea.

Comment

We are having the same issue at our place. We are going to build a 3 strand barbed wire fence about 15' outside the existing hog panel pens and see if this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoech View Post
        We are having the same issue at our place. We are going to build a 3 strand barbed wire fence about 15' outside the existing hog panel pens and see if this helps.
        OK that was an option I was thinking of as well. My problem is the two cow problem pens are right next to the road. Like right on the edge of the road. So I would have to move the entire pen or divert the road. Then build barbed wire perimeter pen and another 12' wide gate. If you have the room to do what you are talking about that seems like a good idea.

Comment

Maybe cut the top square off of the cattle panels, making them about 4 inches shorter but leaving spikes on top. That should stop the cows from leaning on them, and make the deer jump high enough to clear the spikes without catching their back feet under the top wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Maybe cut the top square off of the cattle panels, making them about 4 inches shorter but leaving spikes on top. That should stop the cows from leaning on them, and make the deer jump high enough to clear the spikes without catching their back feet under the top wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Good idea.

Comment

I was going to say build a setback electric fence so they can't get near the panels.

Comment

Having the same issue, let me know if you find something that works because I’m tired of fixing pens and wasting cotton seed on cows.

Comment

Originally posted by DKW II View Post
                  Having the same issue, let me know if you find something that works because I’m tired of fixing pens and wasting cotton seed on cows.
                  Here is my plan.
                  20' x 50" cattle panels
                  drill and set 4x4 post at each corner. (round pen will not work at this location)
                  drill and set 4x4 post where panels over lap
                  drive T post every 36"

Comment

If you have anything like cotton seed or protein in the pen, cows will get in at times of low natural feed availability no matter what. I had to stop feeding protein on our home place around 8 years ago due to my father's cows. We bought 48" tall tube panels costing $80 a piece back then for all of our pens to try to keep them out. All they did was attempt to jump, bending the panels in the process, and still got in when they wanted. Sucks but it is what it is I guess.

Before that I had built barbed wire pens, but the hogs simply slept under the protein feeder every night, then got up and shook all of the feed out until it was empty.
                    Last edited by 44mAG; 03-12-2021, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      If you have anything like cotton seed or protein in the pen, cows will get in at times of low natural feed availability no matter what. I had to stop feeding protein on our home place around 8 years ago due to my father's cows. We bought 48" tall tube panels costing $80 a piece back then for all of our pens to try to keep them out. All they did was attempt to jump, bending the panels in the process, and still got in when they wanted. Sucks but it is what it is I guess.
                      That's depressing.

Comment

Build a 5 stand barb wire fence even larger than your panel fence deer will have to go under that then over the panels. but those cattle sounds like a pita

Comment

Originally posted by Shoech View Post
                          We did this in Mexico, works great.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                            Build a 5 stand barb wire fence even larger than your panel fence deer will have to go under that then over the panels. but those cattle sounds like a pita
                            Well I considered this; however the two pens I am having problems with border a road. To do this I would have to move pen or divert road. Both of these are not an option sadly.

Comment

We fought this battle for years. Pipe H brace corners, hog panels, and two strands of barbed wire on top, as tight as a fiddle string. Cows jumped it without clicking a hoof. Had a couple of the guys on the ranch use cattle panel and in a couple of spots they would just cut out the upper section. Deer used that spot to jump in and it wasn't really wide enough for cattle to use. Thankfully, all cattle are off of our ranch right now and we are praying the next batch don't like to jump.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG D View Post
                                Had a couple of the guys on the ranch use cattle panel and in a couple of spots they would just cut out the upper section. Deer used that spot to jump in and it wasn't really wide enough for cattle to use. Thankfully, all cattle are off of our ranch right now and we are praying the next batch don't like to jump.
                                This is what I am hoping works. In a couple weeks I am going to get down there and build it. I will report back on what happens after its built.

What is crazy is these two problem pens have been in place for 10 years. Never a cow problem until 2020 season. All it took was one cow to jump in the pen. She educated the rest of them and now its a dang free for all.

Comment

Working...
                                X