No announcement yet.

Deer not using protein feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’ve been running three 2000 lb protein feeders for 5 years on our place. Have to fill them several times between now and sept.

Comment

Mine didn’t take to double down as others claim, switched back to antlermax

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
        You don’t have to put corn in it or anything else.

Put it in black rubber bowl on the ground not a tub but a black rubber bowl. Only like 4” sides

If you have been trying for a while you might put some corn on the ground so they will come to the area. You have to think like a deer!

They, would rather eat off the ground not stick their nose in a tube for something they have never eaten. As y’all all know deer are Leary of anything different. But when it is open on the ground in a bowl they will try it and then they will go looking for it because they have eaten it before with no pressure.

(I make deer feed for a living)
        May just try that. Not sure if the deer will get to it before the raccoons eat it all of it is on the ground level.

Comment

Did 50/50 corn / antlermax starting in late december / january and they have been pounding it ever since.

I think the protein on the ground is a good idea, also think starting protein early while food is scarce helps them pick up on it faster. We still had corn feeders running and the deer used to getting food around the feeder pens, so a little change was easy for them.

Comment

Corn/protein plus 0 degrees a few weeks ago. They found it quick! Time to fill it back up. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Comment

Just recently put out a protein feeder back in January. Just pulled my camera....4000 pics, 20 something of one doe checking out the feeder, not eating. The rest of the pics? Coons

Comment

Working...
              X