No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the insight. Your thread makes it hard to keep saving money. What is the best part of the county in your opinion? Or anyone that hunts menard county.

Comment

We are on the San Saba river and I absolutely love the country around this river, even though the pecan farmers in Menard are sucking the river dry (that's a different story for another time). I just love the country in our area with oaks, cedars, mesquites, hills, etc. the genetics are there, the deer just need nutrition. I honestly have more fun watching our deer herd get better each year than actually hunting them, but hunting is still a ton of fun. I also really like to find ways to improve the native habitat.

Comment

Very nice place and deer! Keep up the good work... Just remember its a marathon and not a sprint.

Comment

Great looking place thanks for posting it up.

Comment

You are right, it's definitely a marathon. You don't see results over night.

Comment

dang those last 2 deer will be hUGE next year

Comment

Updated Trail Camera Pictures_11-8-2015

Well, we finally got some rain out there. We received almost 5in in the month of October and already received almost an inch for November, which puts us at 26.80 inches on the year. I threw about 1,000lbs of cottonseed out on October 12th and it was all gone by the end of October.

Here are some recent trail camera pictures from our place:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1636.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	24415496

Name:	PICT1427.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	24415497

Name:	PICT4618.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	24415498

Name:	PICT1193.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24415499

Name:	PICT0384.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24415500

Name:	PICT0439.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	24415501

Only have one shooter buck on our list this year, the big fork horn buck, but we are seeing some really nice 2.5 and 3.5yr olds, which is always good. I am very surprised that we have seen 3 to 4 different yearling spikes this year with all of the rain plus all of the supplemental feed.

Comment

Wouldn't mind having that place

Comment

December 15th Update

Well, the NRCS helped pay for half of the drilling/installing a new solar powered water trough and it was just installed this week:

Name:	IMG_5552 (Large).jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24420572
                    We now have two water troughs, one 4-5 acre tank and another 1 acre tank, so that should be plenty of water for the deer and also help keep the cattle spread evenly throughout the property. This new water trough was installed in the North part of our property because we are trying to make sure the cattle graze evenly throughout the entire property. Before, they were only staying by the other water sources, which were in the middle and south parts of our property.

The San Saba river is up with all of the recent rainfall:

Name:	IMG_5561 (Large).jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	24420573

Comment

Beautiful place you have there. Where did you get the cottonseed feeders, or did you make them and how? Your deer look great.

Comment

man what a beautiful place yall got. those deer are sure shaping up!

Comment

Originally posted by stxslayer View Post
                          Beautiful place you have there. Where did you get the cottonseed feeders, or did you make them and how? Your deer look great.
                          Thanks! I made the cottonseed feeders myself. I know a lot of the articles and people on here use "V" shaped horse fence, but that stuff is ridiculously pricey, so I just went with the rectangular shaped fence. The rectangle is around 1.5in by 4in or so. It works great and cottonseed doesn't fall out. I think I was able to make 4 of them out of one roll and it cost me around $50 or so. I just roll them so that there is around 2ft of overlap and then wire it all together.

Comment

Nice concrete water trough. Do you mind if I ask where you got it and how much it cost you?

Comment

It was $587 and holds 320 gallons. Virdell Drilling, out of Kerrville, did the complete job and charged us $100 for hauling it.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                                It was $587 and holds 320 gallons. Virdell Drilling, out of Kerrville, did the complete job and charged us $100 for hauling it.
                                Did they level the ground and everything?

Comment

Working...
                                X