No announcement yet.

Can We Drop The .5 From Deer Aging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 55.5 yrs old but not exactly that old but close.

Comment

Harvest.

Comment

How about premature, mature and post mature for those that can’t age bucks?

Once you get over 6 its hard to age them for me! I am not that good and don’t care to be!

Comment

Speaking about the .5 on deer ages, what about the .9 on gas prices? Seems dumb to me but I guess there's a reason for it...

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

There was an article in TTH about aging deer and how it’s mostly a guess. They had several pictures of bucks of a known age and asked the experts to age them. I don’t recall the specifics but it was a surprisingly low number of accuracy. The article was suggesting referring to deer as immature, mature and post mature. I like the idea unless of course you have an intensely managed heard or are HF.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Easily agitated are we?

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
              I'd love to support your endeavor but until we can get the for "sell, sail or sale" statements corrected I just find the man-power for your cause.

Reat assured it will be at the top of the first world issues list once we correct the above issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
              I am dying laughing outloud over here!!!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
                  There was an article in TTH about aging deer and how it’s mostly a guess. They had several pictures of bucks of a known age and asked the experts to age them. I don’t recall the specifics but it was a surprisingly low number of accuracy. The article was suggesting referring to deer as immature, mature and post mature. I like the idea unless of course you have an intensely managed heard or are HF.
                  My exact thought on this subject!

I killed a 10 point that was well over 10 years old and he scored 87”. I knew he was old when I had him at 15 yards. Put an arrow in him and when I got to camp, a hunter said...”I have passes in him all year long because he is 3.5 years old”. He was aging him at 150 yards.

I just knew he was post mature!

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    And college football season as well! Between the two...August just sucks!

Comment

Do what I want

Comment

The reason why the .5 is added is...When we are ready to kill the deer he is at his half age status.
                        Perhaps being a deer life is so short...that .5 is a big deal...If you're the deer

Comment

Yep. I agree I love these guys that say we only harvest deer that are 7 yrs old. Unless they are tagged in a pen hard to tell. I hunted south Texas for years and kept saying he's 4 or 5 and wait til next yr. We finally renamed the place " next years ranch" I like immature, mature, post mature and dead!

Comment

You are aware these deer are typically born from May to July.....so someone saying a deer is 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, or 4.5 during the summer doesn’t know much about deer.

Comment

The answer to the question is NO

#.5livesmatter

Comment

Been doing it for 41.5 years, ain’t stopping now

Comment

Working...
                                X