Four wheeler HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four wheeler HELP!!

2005ish Honda Foreman/Rancher 4x4 (its at the lease and I don't think exact year or model matters for this)

Fired it up, drove 1/4 mile all is normal. Stop to close the gate, and it dies, but this time nothing lights up. The speedometer screen is blank, the neutral light won't come on, and it won't turn over.

Pull it back to camp, check fuses in the fuse block, all good. The fan is wired hot to a switch, it works. Pull start, it starts...now the neutral light works, the reverse light works, and the 4x4 light flashes while it runs. The screen is still blank though.

Any ideas where to start looking???

Thanks in advance,
    Ron

Battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
      Battery?
      yep

Comment

Battery might show enough volts,but not have enough amps. Have had that happen before. Had to get new battery

Comment

Like above said Battery or battery connection would be a fst guess..

Comment

Electrical for sure. I’d replace and or check solenoid and battery. Many times, corrosion gets in on your connections, I have the same issue being I leave my bikes @ hunt camp and submerge them in water and swamps.

So a tube of dielectric grease and a file have become my friends over the years. I get issues similar all the time.

Test your battery @ rest to see it has 12+ volts. If it does, clean the connections of both battery and solenoid. See what that does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll check the battery this weekend , I hope it’s that simple!

Comment

Don't know if the Honda's have them, but on my CanAm i have had my voltage regulator go out. It fries the battery.

Comment

Bad connection at the battery and or bad battery.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you bump the kill switch?

please excuse brevity and dictation errors

Comment

Yep replace the battery first. The ones at Walmart work fine but don’t last as long as sealed batteries. In my opinion if you are keeping the machine long term get a good AGM battery.
                      Check all connectors and sensors or solenoids that you can to rule out other deeper issues. The fact that it starts when you pull it means it should not be too serious.

Comment

Make sure the connection is good between the battery and cables. Have a 2004 Honda, and the screws holding the cables to the battery worked loose once. Had similar symptoms to what you’re describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

it's almost definitely the battery. honda uses electronic shift and 4wheelers don't have regular alternators. i learned this taking my gf (now wife) out to my hunting lease the first time. trailed my dad's 4wheeler out to there for him. jump started it because it hadn't run in a while. figured if i let it run, it would charge up the battery.

working fine until we get to the feeder the farthest away on the front pasture over a mile and a half as the crow flies. we hope hope off to look around. i leave it running in neutral. try to get in gear. nothing. eventually i realize the problem.

we have to hoof it back to camp in 95 degree weather. lol.

long story short. keep your batteries fresh.

Comment

Could be a bad kill switch

Comment

Any update

please excuse brevity and dictation errors

Comment

Working...
                              X