No announcement yet.

Wear your kill switch lanyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger looked scared the entire time in the boat. The motor trimming on its own doesn't make sense. Glad they lived and no one else was injured.

Comment

Super turn out for what could have been a bad situation.

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
      The boat that brought the driver back could have gotten much closer to the unmanned boat to make entry a lot more safer.
      Armchair quarterbacking is the best, ain't it?
      Also, those wide angle lenses make things look farther than they are.
      Last edited by meltingfeather; 06-04-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        That idiot has no business operating a boat.

Why did the motor trim down by itself after a while?
        That's a bold statement unless you have more info than the rest of us. Did the steering cable break? Did he hit a stump? Even the best Boaters/Anglers can get complacent and have a accident. Not that I care one way or the other but its a good reminder to wear your kill switch.

Comment

Trim might have suffered some damage after hitting something and maybe leaked down.

Always wear the kill switch, really bothers me seeing people who don't. It's not only their lives at risk it puts everyone else at risk. Absolutely horrifying seeing the guys floating in the water next to the boat circling like that.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            Always wear the kill switch and your life jacket, really bothers me seeing people who don't. It's not only their lives at risk it puts everyone else at risk. Absolutely horrifying seeing the guys floating in the water next to the boat circling like that.
            FIFY, My pet peeve is seeing these guys posting pictures of their young kids or infants, sometimes relative's kids sitting on their lap driving the boat. That's ok with me, what's not ok is the fact neither adult has a PFD on in the boat, the kid does but they do not.

I have a FB friend that does it all the time with his 2-3 year old nephew, wind in the hair makes for a great photo opp. Since he's a semi-pro staffer I guess it makes it ok in his eyes.

Comment

That’s crazy

Comment

How did the boat speed up from 10 to 30 when the motor trimmed down ? Surely he has a hot foot . And your boat slows down when your motor is trimmed down .

Comment

Looking at that video, it looks to be an older (possibly Champion) bass boat that has been restored and repowered. The consoles look to be late 80's or early 90's and wrapped in carbon fiber wrap and the seats say "Dixie Chopper" on them and not to mention the newer 250 Yamaha SHO.

The boat was running 63, according to the on screen speed and the lake conditions looked to be safe to run that speed. The passenger was trying to help navigate and I didn't see anything he did that would make me think he was a DA. The driver wasn't speeding past a lot of other boat traffic and was looking for the next buoy and (looked to be) checking his path on his electronics when he got a little too close to the buoy. During his correction, he probably lifted off the hot foot throttle, slowing the boat causing the bow to drop, the bow hooked and spun them out throwing the passenger (still not being a DA) into the driver. Accidents happen and we just saw one on video.
                  I am glad they are still alive to share the video so others will think about how quickly things can go wrong and wear their kill switches and life jackets.

What I can't figure out is why the boat sped back up to ~30 mph. With a hot foot (assuming it had one because it slowed down so much and didn't go back to 60+ after they were thrown out) it should have continued at idle speed. The boat ran in circles at 9-10 mph for a minute and 11 seconds when it took off.
                  ...after watching it to figure that out, I don't think there is a hot foot in that boat. After jumping back on board, he slowed the boat with the hand throttle. Now, I think the motor went into a safe mode due to the sudden high RPMs and then came back alive at the position that it was knocked to when the driver came out of the boat.

LIFE JACKETS, KILL SWITCHES AND HOT FOOTS!!!

Comment

Error#1. Screwing with the GPS rather than looking where he was going. #2. If you aren't familiar with the water enough that you don't need a GPS then slow the hell down. That lake is known for educating the naive. #3. Kill switch. Duh! Almost always a series of errors that lead to these accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                      How did the boat speed up from 10 to 30 when the motor trimmed down ? Surely he has a hot foot . And your boat slows down when your motor is trimmed down .
                      It only speeds down when you trim down if you're on plane. Apparently he didn't have a hot foot, and only knocked the throttle back 1/2 way or so when they went over the side. If you go from high throttle to 1/2 without trimming down it will cavitate and not run very efficiently, until it's trimmed down again. I'm guessing maybe the cavitation caused it to run hot, and the motor trimmed itself down as a precaution, but I don't know if that's actually a feature they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        That's a bold statement unless you have more info than the rest of us. Did the steering cable break? Did he hit a stump? Even the best Boaters/Anglers can get complacent and have a accident. Not that I care one way or the other but its a good reminder to wear your kill switch.
                        1. He's not familiar enough with where he's at to to run that fast.

2. He keeps letting go of the wheel and looking off to the side.

3. He's too busy looking at the idiot screen to watch where he's going.

4. He panics and takes a bunch of throttle out of it at the same time he turned, on pad, at speed, trimmed up.

The water looks fine to run 62 on if you know where you are and are in control of your boat. You can get a lot of feedback through the steering with that little boat in the water and you need to have both hands on the wheel actually hanging on.

If that boat is as old as it looks, it's likely not rated for a 250. It's definitely not designed to have that kind of steering input at that speed.

He's an idiot.
                        Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-04-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlinville View Post
                          Looking at that video, it looks to be an older (possibly Champion) bass boat that has been restored and repowered. The consoles look to be late 80's or early 90's and wrapped in carbon fiber wrap and the seats say "Dixie Chopper" on them and not to mention the newer 250 Yamaha SHO.

The boat was running 63, according to the on screen speed and the lake conditions looked to be safe to run that speed. The passenger was trying to help navigate and I didn't see anything he did that would make me think he was a DA. The driver wasn't speeding past a lot of other boat traffic and was looking for the next buoy and (looked to be) checking his path on his electronics when he got a little too close to the buoy. During his correction, he probably lifted off the hot foot throttle, slowing the boat causing the bow to drop, the bow hooked and spun them out throwing the passenger (still not being a DA) into the driver. Accidents happen and we just saw one on video.
                          I am glad they are still alive to share the video so others will think about how quickly things can go wrong and wear their kill switches and life jackets.

What I can't figure out is why the boat sped back up to ~30 mph. With a hot foot (assuming it had one because it slowed down so much and didn't go back to 60+ after they were thrown out) it should have continued at idle speed. The boat ran in circles at 9-10 mph for a minute and 11 seconds when it took off.
                          ...after watching it to figure that out, I don't think there is a hot foot in that boat. After jumping back on board, he slowed the boat with the hand throttle. Now, I think the motor went into a safe mode due to the sudden high RPMs and then came back alive at the position that it was knocked to when the driver came out of the boat.

LIFE JACKETS, KILL SWITCHES AND HOT FOOTS!!!

You can see him throttle it down with his hand when he finally quits looking at the GPS......at the same time he yanks the wheel.

Comment

Should have never come to needing the kill switch in that situation anyway. Do accidents happen? Yes, but he should not have been going that fast and not paying attention in front of him. I have absolutely no issue with boaters going 60+ but when you take your eyes off the lake and focus elsewhere you are putting yourself and other people at risk. I have been cut off more times on the lake by fishing boats playing on their gps than any other type of boat.

Comment

It's definitely an aluminum rig, not a Champion. maybe older Express or a custom builder as there are several around here. The speed up has me puzzled as well. When he bumped it left, a chine hooked and the nose dove, bad deal all the way around.

Comment

I wear mine religiously.... too easy not to do it...

Comment

Working...
                                X