Food Plot Mix Ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Mix Ratio?

I am planting a mix of oats, winter wheat, cereal rye, and winter peas. This will be broadcast and disced. My question is to estimate the seeding rates for each seed, would it be safe to use about 2/3rds of the recommended seeding rate for each since they will all be mixed together?

Sure. Just get it in the ground.

Comment

I usually double the recommended seeding rate. But we poor boy our plots.

Comment

If you broadcast them and disk them under i would increase the seeding rates by 25%. We broadcasted a mix of winter wheat and oats at a combined rate of 140lbs/acre (70lbs/acre each). We did this because our plots have been spotty over the past years and because we know that birds will eat some of the seeds.

Comment

4 different plants in the same plot!! Id go 1/2 the recommended.rate. , You dont want that much competition. Personally Id go with oats alone and do a sample area with peas.

Comment

I like the mix. I would do 1/2 the rate and put up some cages for observation.

Comment

At that mix “I” would plant:

40% wheat
              40% oats
              10-15% rye
              5-10% winter peas

Comment

I believe that cereal rye will over take the rest of the plants if you seed it heavy. I might make a suggestion and plant the wheat and peas together. Plant the oats and rye separate. Not a big deal to do this if you are using a broadcaster. I have a field now that has oats in one part and clover/winter peas in another. Then I have 5 acres of turnips/radish/elbon rye mix in it.
                I have noticed that oats do better by themselves and cereal rye will or can out grow other plants.
                Then again if da hogs find them oats its over

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Turns out, my seed supplier is backordered on the cereal rye, so now it will only be oats, winter wheat, and peas. The ratios between seeds will be somewhat similar to what Low Fence suggested. I also hadn't considered splitting them up, and it could be possible, because I have 3 large shooting lanes to plant.

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
                    Thanks for all the input. Turns out, my seed supplier is backordered on the cereal rye, so now it will only be oats, winter wheat, and peas. The ratios between seeds will be somewhat similar to what Low Fence suggested. I also hadn't considered splitting them up, and it could be possible, because I have 3 large shooting lanes to plant.
                    There are several varieties of cereal rye, maybe try another variety at another store. Lyssy and Eckel did not have any Elbon rye but I found plenty at Douglass King seed in San Antonio.

If you have the capability to split up the seed plots then do so. I have learned quite a bit by that, I cant help but think that some of the seed mixes are a total waste of money.

Comment

I am planting this weekend and doing similar. Most plots with wheat/oats but some clover mixed in also

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
                        I am planting a mix of oats, winter wheat, cereal rye, and winter peas. This will be broadcast and disced. My question is to estimate the seeding rates for each seed, would it be safe to use about 2/3rds of the recommended seeding rate for each since they will all be mixed together?
                        Our base mix for all plots is the following per acre. We add rape, turnips, multiple clovers, chuffa and chicory to various plots.

100 lbs Forage Oats
                        100 lbs Forage Winter Wheat
                        50 lbs Cereal Rye
                        50 lbs Austrian Winter Peas

Comment

300 pounds per acre?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            300 pounds per acre?
                            Yes sir. We don't have a drill and broadcast. With a high density of turkey, birds and hogs. We have found this gets us the best stand and germination rate. We like lush green food plots. Plus we have learned that the heavy seeds helps with early browsing. Over 15 years of testing and experimentation lead by a 40+ year career sugar cane farmer.

Comment

I thought I was high @ 200lbs/a really in the past. But it worked

BP

Comment

Working...
                              X