Bell County bucks/ Fall Food plot suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bell County bucks/ Fall Food plot suggestions

I haven't posted on here in almost two years but have been missing the green screen. I was hoping to get recommendations for a fall food plot as I will be discing and then broadcasting for a 2 acre plot on Friday this week. I was hoping to mix something in with oats and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for ground that has a pH of 7.2 and is made up of sand/clay/silt (chocolate loam). This plot will sit along a river bottom and will have very little shade.

I have also included pictures of two bucks on my hit list (the first two pictures) and a third buck I will be letting walk this year as I believe he is only 4.5 years old. Let me know what you think about the age of the 8 point and the 9 point. The 11 point with the splits on his left side is 7.5 years old as I have had pictures of him and I have seen him in person several times over the last 5 years. The deer in this area have made a massive leap since we no longer let friends hunt the place (friends and family killed several 3 year old deer with great potential when we finally had enough) I have constantly been heckled by friends and family for not killing anything to speak of off of this property other than does and a couple of cull 8 points in the last 5 years. I think my management strategies are finally starting to come to fruition. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Nice deer

Comment

Wow. How many acres is your property? Nice deer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        Wow. How many acres is your property? Nice deer!!

We have about 130 acres. The neighbor is letting us hunt his 125 acres to couple with our place and then we have another bordering neighbor that doesn't hunt and doesn't allow any hunting on his place that is 250 acres. It is a very unique property with very little hunting pressure. Trying our best to keep it that way. We do not gun hunt the property unless it is to shoot coyotes. We are hoping to get the plot going good this year and start feeding cottonseed heavily throughout the property.

Comment

Great looking deer and set up....

For your food plot mix, I might consider putting in oats, rye (grain not grass), peas and radishes....they wont' touch the radish really until after it freezes...after a freeze, they will tear them up.

Comment

Nice bucks

Comment

Good looking deer. Good luck with the old one.

Comment

Nice bucks. All look to be 5+

We have had good luck with oats, winter wheat, austrian winter peas, chicory, crimson clover and purple top turnips for a fall plot.

Comment

Very nice deer

Comment

Wow. What a honey hole y’all are in!
                    Very nice frames on those deer.

Comment

Nice herd it seems. I am of no help on the fall plot.

Comment

Have you thought about wheat? Very inexpensive and can fill in the gaps.
                        By the way, you need to update your Apple ID.

Comment

That first one is a giant...... WOW

Comment

Here are pictures of us discing the food plot. We decided to go with 250 lbs of oats and 15 lbs of a mix from the local feed store in Georgetown containing rapeseed, turnips, arrow leaf clover, vetch, brassicas, chicory, wheat and a few other seeds. The plot turned out to be right around 2 acres. We got a great rain about an hour after we had planted on Friday followed by good rains Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I'm really excited to see what this thing looks like in a few weeks.
                            Attached Files

Comment

We are also planning on buying a Redneck blind to put on one corner of the plot. Does anyone have any experience hunting out of a Muddy bull tower blind with vertical windows or a Redneck tower blind with vertical windows? We have looked into those two and also looking for other suggestions. We really want to be elevated 10 ft or higher.

Comment

Working...
                              X