Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts?

I finally got my first chance to hunt this morning. After all the stress I've been under, y'all have no idea how good it felt to be in my favorite tree. Had a big arse boar come in that I would guess to scare 250. I was equipped with Rage hypos this hunt, even though I had written them off based on previous experiences with them. I drew back and punched this ol boy right in the sweet spot. He runs off, and I see my lighted nock flopping around with little penetration. This has happened multiple times now with hypos. So what's everyone's opinion here? I'm not one to focus blame on equipment malfunction; I'll own up to poor shots. I just can't figure this out. Based off the arrow I found, I got maybe 2" of penetration.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Another

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you got out to hunt! I would say you hit bone for sure. I doubt a rib would bend the tip like that. Never know though. I'd guess that pig lives. Good luck with the track if you try to find him. Big pigs are awfully tough.

Comment

Par for the course with big expandables.

Comment

I had 1 buck shot with rage hypo. Hit exactly where I aimed. No buck. Threw the rest away. Will never use again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From my observations there are two schools of thought on Rage heads. Great and terrible. Since I’m not willing to gamble I’ve never used them. If you try to follow up the hog take something that goes bang !

Comment

What is the sweet spot on a big hog? Broadside shoulder is the toughest spot on a big hog. I like to hit behind the shoulder into the heart at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They are junk! Exactly why I went to slick tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                  What is the sweet spot on a big hog? Broadside shoulder is the toughest spot on a big hog. I like to hit behind the shoulder into the heart at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right in the crease for me.

Also using a large expandable (raptor trick) and got a partial passthrough. Two holes but fletching stopped on entry side

Comment

I think you hit bone. I have only used rages a couple of times, once on a doe that i intentionally shot through the shoulder in a quartering to shot and got complete penetration and the other was the largest bodied buck I ever shot. Shot him quartering away and hit the off side shoulder and did not get full penetration, although i am not sure i would have gotten full penetration with any broadhead. I will say that in both cases the rages worked perfectly and if i had made the same shot on the buck with a smaller broadhead recovery might have been an issue as the arrow was in the upper half of the deer, but with the 2+ inches of entry hole, there was decent blood trail to follow

Comment

Please PM me and I’ll give my address for all the rages you boys want to give away

Comment

Ive killed some big pigs.
                        Ramcats have provided the best results.
                        Now ive also killed them with shwackers but no pass through.

Comment

Slick tricks fly great and penetrate great. Some people gripe about blood trails but people gripe about all kinds of things.

Comment

I’ve tried rage heads (non hypo) and they didn’t impress me. Have not shot them since. There are much better heads out there imo.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

In tried a Schwacker 125 the other day. Blades snapped off. You just can't spread 125 grains of metal out that far and expect it to be strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X