Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanic Ear Needed: What is this sound on my truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always take the drive shaft to an auto supply and have them press new ones in, but they are getting hard to find.

American Drive Shaft & Gear will do it while you wait, they are down off Sylvania, around Long Ave. Old school driveline shop, they have helped me out with several tricky jobs over the years.
    Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-22-2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

DON'T FORGET TO BLOCK THE TIRES UP WELL BEFORE YOU TAKE THAT DRIVESHAFT OUT!!! "Park" no longer works at that point, and she will run off on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        U joint for sure. Just replace them all at once. They all have the same miles on them.
        Rat here!

Comment

Thats a siezed up u-joint. Replace them all

Comment

Was curious and chocked the wheels and jacked up the rear end...put it in neutral and inspected each u-joint...back one had no play...

Front one on the other hand has all kinds of lateral play when orienting one way. Figuring that is the culprit. Was even able to coax a little squeak out of it.

Comment

Probably U-joint. Just because that rear joint does not have play, don't assume it's good. Often they get bound up. The best way to check u-joints, is to pull the drive shaft and check their movement out of the vehicle. Either slack in the U-joint or a stiff/hard to rotate joint, would be bad.

Comment

U joint

Comment

If you have never installed U joints ( especially in an aluminum driveshaft ) take Dales advise & have them installed for you. Fairly easy if you have the right tools & a vise. Be sure to grease output splines on that transmission yoke while you have the d/s out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                    If you have never installed U joints ( especially in an aluminum driveshaft ) take Dales advise & have them installed for you. Fairly easy if you have the right tools & a vise. Be sure to grease output splines on that transmission yoke while you have the d/s out.
                    This. You can use a little Vaseline on the splines on the yoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      DON'T FORGET TO BLOCK THE TIRES UP WELL BEFORE YOU TAKE THAT DRIVESHAFT OUT!!! "Park" no longer works at that point, and she will run off on you.
                      Good advice here !
                      My Bro. In law sat with his Ford LTD on his chest for 2 hrs before someone came hone and helped him.
                      Thank Goodness he was skinny as a rail.

Comment

Pulled the drive shaft, pressed out u joints (culprit was bone dry). Pressed back in one side before I ran out of light (and steam). Hopefully tomorrow

Comment

Job finished on the 23rd..picture of the no longer round culprit
                          Attached Files

Comment

I had a hotrod square body in highschool that used to break and eat ujoints. Know that sound you had well.

Comment

that is the smoking gun

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                                that is the smoking gun
                                Yes, OP you are lucky.

Comment

Working...
                                X