Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanic Ear Needed: What is this sound on my truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanic Ear Needed: What is this sound on my truck?

Truck started making this noise when cold start and under 15mph. Seems to get louder as I accelerate but stops once truck warms up.

Seems to come from left-side…wheel bearing? Can’t tell if it’s coming from differential…haven’t pulled anything yet as I’m at work…attached video to hear sound…didn’t think was brake indicator but used different pads recently

https://vimeo.com/566092988
    Last edited by Sethmac; 06-22-2021, 07:52 AM.

Squealer on your brake pads?

Comment

U joints?

Comment

Sounds like a u joint to me

Comment

Could be a u joint. Could also be the carrier bearing, if your truck has a 2 piece driveshaft.

Comment

U joint for sure. Just replace them all at once. They all have the same miles on them.

Comment

front left? on a 4WD truck? U joint in the left drive axle maybe. sounds too irregular to be a front wheel bearing, but maybe.
              One thing I believe is it has a short life left.

Comment

What kind of truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s rear left tire of a 2wd, 2006 ram 1500.

Never done u-joints before...should I just change the control arms/ball joints at the same time?

Possibly dumb question...watching some videos and see 2 u-joints on the driveshaft...how many total are there?
                  Last edited by Sethmac; 06-22-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethmac View Post
                    should I just change the control arms/ball joints at the same time?
                    Neither of those should be on the rear of your truck so if the sound is coming from the back, you can rule those two things out.

Also, the squeak definitely increases with more throttle so it's almost definitely driveline related. Like others said previously, probably a u joint or like I said earlier, it could be a carrier bearing. I did a quick check for a 2006 Dodge 1500 and there is a carrier bearing on at least some models.

Could also be an axle bearing if you can isolate the sound to one wheel. It could even be a warped or bent axle, though that's not likely unless something was recently hit with that particular wheel.

Comment

It's the carrier bearing is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                        Neither of those should be on the rear of your truck so if the sound is coming from the back, you can rule those two things out.

Also, the squeak definitely increases with more throttle so it's almost definitely driveline related. Like others said previously, probably a u joint or like I said earlier, it could be a carrier bearing. I did a quick check for a 2006 Dodge 1500 and there is a carrier bearing on at least some models.

Could also be an axle bearing if you can isolate the sound to one wheel. It could even be a warped or bent axle, though that's not likely unless something was recently hit with that particular wheel.
                        Yeah, just realizing that makes no sense on the rear of a truck given the tires don't turn

It does seem to come from the left rear wheel. No recent hits but have some gnarly hills at the property with some big ruts.
                        Last edited by Sethmac; 06-22-2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Classic sound of a squalling Ujoint to me.

Comment

Two mice making more mice.

Comment

I don't see a carrier bearing as I only have 2 ujoints....I guess I'm starting with the ujoints.

For those who have done it...easier to just take off entire drive shaft or press them out under the truck?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Sethmac; 06-22-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X