Ling off the beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ling off the beach

I was down in Port A this weekend and decided the hit the jetty Sunday with the light E wind. I went in light with my trout rod, some live shrimp, and small hooks. I was after sheepies or mangroves. I started down at the end with nothing but too many people around. I worked my way back down and found a nice spot on the surf side that dropped off steep close to the base of the rocks. I started with a cork with no luck. I rigged up to fish the bottom and on the second cast, I hooked up with what I thought was a heavy red. as the fight progressed it started to pull like an old Chevy in 4 low, just slow and steady. She came up and at first looked like a shark. No dorsal fin, brown with a white belly....no way it's a Ling. As the fight continued she looked to be about 4' long. I still couldn't believe it. Luckily a guy stopped to help me who knew what he was doing. He helped keep her out of the rocks and netted her for me after about a 30 min fight. I was using a 1/0 Octopus hook on a 20 lb fluoro leader. How that fish stayed hooked I will never know. This is a fish of a lifetime for me and one I never dreamed of catching on light tackle off the rocks. Big shout out to all of the folks that helped me land her.

46", Dolphin Dock scale weighed her at 28#. I swear she was over 35

My back still hurts.
    Attached Files

That's cray. Nice ling and congrats!

Comment

you sir, are one lucky devil. Congrats to you!

Comment

Very cool! Heck of a lemon! Congrats!

Comment

That is awesome.

Comment

Definitely a fish of a lifetime on light tackle. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats... Great fish.

Comment

Very nice. How was the walk out now the new blocks are in place?

Comment

tasty eats!

Comment

That’s awesome! Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
                      Very nice. How was the walk out now the new blocks are in place?
                      HEAVY! The new rocks are nice but they don't go out very far. Apparently the concrete walkways are about to be redone?

Comment

Sweet! that is a heck of a tasty surprise.

Comment

Nice catch! I miss fishing out there. At the end of the north jetty when conditions are right you can see all sorts of deep sea fish.. Very hard to hook and catch though.

Now hook into a 200# grouper off those jetties!

Comment

Wow talk about an unexpected catch! Congrats man!

Comment

I’ve never caught one off the sand but I know guys that have and also kingfish. I personally have caught a 6lb red snapper from the surf at SLP on live mullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X