Changes to NR licenses in NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
    I think an 85/15 split would be great. And I know a lot of residents that think the same. One thing I really wish would happen would be to do away with the stupid rule about cow tags only going to residents in the draw(this sky rocketed the price of LO cow tags and made it dang hard to draw as a resident) and the taking the youth encouragement hunts away and turning them into whatever they are now.
    The good ole days when you could get a youth or new hunter out in the field to get they’re feet wet with elk hunting. You could easily get a cow tag for under 250.00. Since the outfitter welfare program came along you can’t hardly touch a cow tag for less than a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
      The good ole days when you could get a youth or new hunter out in the field to get they’re feet wet with elk hunting. You could easily get a cow tag for under 250.00. Since the outfitter welfare program came along you can’t hardly touch a cow tag for less than a grand.
      That is crazy for a cow. I would look to Colorado or Wyoming for a cow hunt. Wyoming is a random draw for reduced price cow tags.

Comment

Like said above, makes my old man head spin.

Bottom line is what, if I want to hunt elk this fall in NM ? Public draw ? Hire an outfitter ? Where are my best odds ?

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post

Bottom line is what, if I want to hunt elk this fall in NM ? Public draw ? Hire an outfitter ? Where are my best odds ?
          Best way is to fork out big money for private landowner tags from my understanding. Even if you do an outfitter on public you still have to draw.

Comment

Be cool if they could do 15% or so to the NR pool.

I’m sure the lobby for those groups would like to keep the system in place that continues to allow them the ability exploit the system for maximum benefit.
            It used to be 22%, 2011 and prior, we actually drew nonresident 2 times mid 2000's to 2011, and let me tell you those in state guys DID NOT like Texans, we had a few run ins, talk about greed. Its freakin federal land. You can see the trend, at some point it will be 99% new mexico residents and 1% non-residents. Like I said their asinine rules will only increase poaching.
            Last edited by SC-001; 02-10-2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post

For public tags:

If you don’t have the time to learn how the draw works- pay a tag consultant and they can walk you through the process and apply for you. Premium tags (good units) have very low draw odds- think < 3% chance. Success rates aren’t fantastic on public ground.

For private land:
              There are non-draw outfitted options. These are expensive, but surpass the logistics of draw hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                It used to be 22%, 2011 and prior, we actually drew nonresident 2 times mid 2000's to 2011, and let me tell you those in state guys DID NOT like Texans, we had a few run ins, talk about greed. Its freakin federal land. You can see the trend, at some point it will be 99% new mexico residents and 1% non-residents. Like I said their asinine rules will only increase poaching.
                I guess I have never heard of any New Mexicans suggesting they want a 99% share. Little dramatic don’t you think? You as a non resident have drawn just as many times as me with elk and I have been a resident for 27 years.

Comment

I will say, Texans helped drive those prices up substantially. If guys don’t mind paying 2-3k for a whitetail hunt, they have zero issues with paying 1k for a cow elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this a done deal?

Comment

Working...
                    X