The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
    One last thought on all the new optics coming out and some people are going to say this being to critical or picky but my opinion is that at these prices for the 640 units the consumer should be critical and picky. I really wish that one of these manufacturers would make a 640 12 micron unit with internal video recording that is a 2.5x base magnification. My 4x on my Flir 536 was waaaaay to much, the 2x on my XP50 is a little less than I wish it was and I feel like my buddies 3x on his XG cuts into the field of view just a little to much. I have watched some youtube video's of some older scopes that are 2.7x and 2.4x that seem to be just about perfect but they are not 640 12 micron. I just really feel like 2.5x would be the sweet spot but you always want what you cant have right?
    Depending on quarry and terrain I’m right there with you on the 2.5x. I think it’s perfect for hogs. For coyotes I prefer the 3x a bit more though.

Comment

Originally posted by jofus View Post
      Any word on timing of the app for Macbook or iOS compatibility?
      The scope is iOS capable with the app. I'm running in on my iPhone 8 and it's been working awesome. I haven't heard anything about it being updated to Mackbook compatible and I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Not saying it won't happen but that has to be super low on the priority list I'd assume.

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
      Any update on the Thermion XQ38? I'm impatiently waiting
      No Thermion XQ38's have shipped to the US since before Christmas because the main factory had to shut down for 3 weeks in January due to a COVID outbreak. However, I have an allocation list of what's coming this month and I think you're going to be sitting pretty.

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      Is this Tyler from UNV who owns IRAY?

I heard he has exclusive rights to them and is not the owner. But imports them from China.

But its like their UNV brand kinda deal as they are behind it.

My thoughts are this: UNV's customer service is AWFUL. I sure love their videos/publicity, but they are lacking on CS.

So for example, if you mail in a scope for a warranty claim does Tyler at UNV have headquarters to repair them in Texas or does it have to be mailed back to China? Thinking of that 5 day warranty claim
      Tyler is the owner of iRay USA, period. He has exclusive rights to buy and sell the Infiray products (think Rico 640 MK1, 384 MK1 etc) in the US. Your Infiray/iRay warranty is with iRay USA. The customized scopes like the Alpha and other models to come are 100% owned by iRay USA. iRay USA has been hiring people to manage customer service, dealer relations, warranty repairs etc. They will be doing 100% of the repairs here in Texas and your scope will not go back to China while you still own it because of their stated 5 year, 5 day warranty. Tyler also owns UNV but this is truly a separate company from UNV. I speak to his UNV employees and they know less about what's going on behind the scenes with iRay than I do.

I can't speak for what is going to happen in the future with iRay USA's customer service but they are claiming they are going to have excellent customer service and with a promise of a 5 year warranty with a 5 business day repair/replace guarantee, they better be able to cash the check they just wrote with that claim and I believe they can. If they can't....well their name will be mud quickly. Time will tell but being privy to the "behind the scenes" building of iRay USA over more than a full year of time, labor and effort, I don't see them dropping the ball right out of the gate but I've been wrong before, we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

well, i'm mad now .. called sightmark beginning of february and they told me i had a wraith 4k allocated to me , ready to ship as soon as it's tested .. didn't see it so called today and i'm no longer even allocated ...and the 57 they have left are spoken for... they said we take care of warranty first , and mine was warranty as my almost new hd failed , and i opted to upgrade ... so now they are saying they have 1100 ordered but no timeline ... i'm not so sure i like what i'm hearing.. so much for customer service

Comment

Two comments:

I switched from an AR-10 to a 7.62 5-6 months ago .
          Calling 7.62x39 "Seven point six two" is ghey. .30hate called—it wants its name back. Stick with calling it "x39" like a good communist.

UNV's customer service is AWFUL. I sure love their videos/publicity, but they are lacking on CS.
          Personally I have found UNV's customer service to be best-in-class. Several times they have gone above and beyond for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post

No Thermion XQ38's have shipped to the US since before Christmas because the main factory had to shut down for 3 weeks in January due to a COVID outbreak. However, I have an allocation list of what's coming this month and I think you're going to be sitting pretty.

Yes! Good deal!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to take a shot at a total thread derail here.

Vehicle mounted thermal.

I know there are probably high dollar turn key systems out there. That ain't my budget, lol.

So let me bounce some random ideas out here.

I know there are magnetic base roof mounts out there that have remotes. Folks use them for spotlights and such. If a guy could rig one of those with a picatinny rail, then a Hogster or similar could be mounted on it. The thermal would be vehicle mounted and remote controlled at that point.

Now what a guy would need is a way to view it. Even though I have a Hogster I am no expert on them at all. Is there a way to run a cable to it, bring the cable in through a door or sliding rear window, then hook it up to a tablet or video monitor? Just live view, no recording.

My idea here is not scanning running down the highway at 75 mph. The goal is 10-30 mph cruising on private land looking for sounders of pigs. When approaching potential fields kill the lights, use the thermal to drive with no lights and creep up within stalking distance of sounders of pigs. Also 360 scanning without opening doors, creating lights and noise.

Help me brainstorm on how to make this workable. Ideas, links to parts, whatever.

Friend of mine has a remote control thermal system in his truck, we watch the monitor as he drives, pretty slick, but not a cheap system. I am trying to figure a way to mimic it with my Hogster, yet still be able to pop it loose quickly and use it as a handheld scanner.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  I'm going to take a shot at a total thread derail here.

Vehicle mounted thermal.

I know there are probably high dollar turn key systems out there. That ain't my budget, lol.

So let me bounce some random ideas out here.

I know there are magnetic base roof mounts out there that have remotes. Folks use them for spotlights and such. If a guy could rig one of those with a picatinny rail, then a Hogster or similar could be mounted on it. The thermal would be vehicle mounted and remote controlled at that point.

Now what a guy would need is a way to view it. Even though I have a Hogster I am no expert on them at all. Is there a way to run a cable to it, bring the cable in through a door or sliding rear window, then hook it up to a tablet or video monitor? Just live view, no recording.

My idea here is not scanning running down the highway at 75 mph. The goal is 10-30 mph cruising on private land looking for sounders of pigs. When approaching potential fields kill the lights, use the thermal to drive with no lights and creep up within stalking distance of sounders of pigs. Also 360 scanning without opening doors, creating lights and noise.

Help me brainstorm on how to make this workable. Ideas, links to parts, whatever.

Friend of mine has a remote control thermal system in his truck, we watch the monitor as he drives, pretty slick, but not a cheap system. I am trying to figure a way to mimic it with my Hogster, yet still be able to pop it loose quickly and use it as a handheld scanner.
                  I toyed with the idea running one of my Pulsars and using the WiFi to display on an iPad screen. The OWL pan head system would mount directly to the bottom of the Pulsar using the 1/4-20 screw. No rail needed.

Comment

Hogster (what I am really interested in since that is what I have) does not internal record, but it does have video out to go to an MDVR. A 12' USB-C to USB cable is not expensive. But I have no idea what to plug it in to for viewing, or how to do that.

Looking around there are quite a few different remote magnetic mounts that could be used. The Hogster has a QD mount already so to me a rail would be the easy thing for rapid on/off.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      Two comments:

Calling 7.62x39 "Seven point six two" is ghey. .30hate called—it wants its name back. Stick with calling it "x39" like a good communist.

Personally I have found UNV's customer service to be best-in-class. Several times they have gone above and beyond for me.
                      LOL

And maybe things have changed. This was 3 years ago.

But myself, and 2 buddies all had VERY VERY poor CS. Several calls and VM's and not returned for 5-6 days.

All the while IG videos/content was being uploaded daily of the nights hunts before.

It was like pulling an arm and leg trying to get ahold of them. Which worries me(justifiably) if they are the "owners" of IRAY

Comment

The scope is iOS capable with the app. I'm running in on my iPhone 8 and it's been working awesome. I haven't heard anything about it being updated to Mackbook compatible and I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Not saying it won't happen but that has to be super low on the priority list I'd assume.

Tyler is the owner of iRay USA, period. He has exclusive rights to buy and sell the Infiray products (think Rico 640 MK1, 384 MK1 etc) in the US. Your Infiray/iRay warranty is with iRay USA. The customized scopes like the Alpha and other models to come are 100% owned by iRay USA. iRay USA has been hiring people to manage customer service, dealer relations, warranty repairs etc. They will be doing 100% of the repairs here in Texas and your scope will not go back to China while you still own it because of their stated 5 year, 5 day warranty. Tyler also owns UNV but this is truly a separate company from UNV. I speak to his UNV employees and they know less about what's going on behind the scenes with iRay than I do.

I can't speak for what is going to happen in the future with iRay USA's customer service but they are claiming they are going to have excellent customer service and with a promise of a 5 year warranty with a 5 business day repair/replace guarantee, they better be able to cash the check they just wrote with that claim and I believe they can. If they can't....well their name will be mud quickly. Time will tell but being privy to the "behind the scenes" building of iRay USA over more than a full year of time, labor and effort, I don't see them dropping the ball right out of the gate but I've been wrong before, we'll have to wait and see.
                        And I 100% agree. This will be a game changer and I hope they can pull it off.

So from your experience, you say MK1 is not the same quality thru the eyepiece as a Trijicon. From the videos it looks better and more detail? Or am I wrong?

Comment

If Ross is sitting pretty, that means I'll be one step closer although still probably a couple months away.

Hopefully I'm a bit closer on the Rattler list.

Speaking of Rattlers, are they all shipping to your warehouse or do you have any coming to your place out of Nac?
                          Last edited by Lip; 02-10-2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I guess I’ll join the thread. Received my Hogster R 35 yesterday. Being my first thermal, I’m very pleased with it! Now to get out and shoot something

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                              Vehicle mounted thermal.

Comment

And I 100% agree. This will be a game changer and I hope they can pull it off.

So from your experience, you say MK1 is not the same quality thru the eyepiece as a Trijicon. From the videos it looks better and more detail? Or am I wrong?
                                Every Trijicon I've gotten since I've had the Rico has been pre-sold so I haven't had the chance to run them side by side but I believe the Trijicons are going to be a little bit better (we're starting to split hairs) but I think the Rico is going to be a better deal and personally where my money would go between the two. But I'm also planning on running a Halo-X 35 when they are available too.

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                                If Ross is sitting pretty, that means I'll be one step closer although still probably a couple months away.

Hopefully I'm a bit closer on the Rattler list.

Speaking of Rattlers, are they all shipping to your warehouse or do you have any coming to your place out of Nac?
                                First round is shipping by Friday/Monday to my warehouse in Fort Worth. The shipments were smaller than they expected but the 2nd round looks to be better and it should ship out the last week of the month, so I'm shooting for the first week of March for your scope to be in IF we get the numbers they sent over today on my allocation list. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                                X