Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short ATA for Wife

Gents (and ladies),

My wife is 5'5" tall and has a very LARGE top half of female anatomy. She is in my 2014 PSE Vision (33" ATA) and when at full draw, the string rests against her lady parts. I am able to shoot the bow at her draw length and hit the target in the same place every time. However, every time she shoots, the impact can be anywhere from the right to the left of the target in a semi straight line. Her form is good and her anchor points are always the same. She holds the bow with an open palm. I am wondering if a short ATA bow, say 30", would get the string off her chest at a 26" draw length. What is everyone's greenscreen opinion? Just trying to keep her in the game and wanting to do this with me, but not spend upwards of $1000 for a bow for her until she gets better. Around $500 would be doable.

XBow

Comment

Sounds like she is peeking when she releases or collapsing when she releases. Make sure her clothing is not catching/hitting the string on the shot. They do make a chest protector for archers that will keep clothing out of the way, just usually you see recurve shooters using it.
      Going to a shorter bow could be less forgiving also, so I would keep her in the bow that you have especially if she hasn’t been shooting very long.

My ex wife is built about the same way and had no problems. She even shot a 42 in A to A competition bow. Her draw was 27.5 inch and she was 5’7”.

Just my $.02

Comment

In addition to what tazhunter mentioned, check her stance. When she shoots, is she using an open stance, or are her feet perfecting perpendicular to the target? Whichever way she is standing, have her try the other way. I have more clearance with more of a closed stance. If I'm not careful with an open stance, I tend to draw the string more across or into the side of my chest. I have everything from a 30" ATA bow to a 37" XComp, and where I set my feet has more to do with string interference than the actual string angle. Look at her draw alignment, and make sure she has good bow shoulder/arm position. Watch Paige Pierce draw and shoot- she is also of the 'generous curves' stature, and her shooting form might give you ideas for helping your wife.

Comment

Always ensure the bowstring is in FRONT of lady parts- otherwise she won't shoot a bow again. Sounds like draw length is too long. Just don't rip them off.

Comment

Pics or it isn't happening. Sorry bro I Couldn't help myself!!!!

Comment

For those that need images to see how she is standing and where the string lies, here they are.
              Attached Files

Comment

Might also be a torque issue and using a whisker biscuit is exacerbating the issue. Will get her a drop away on the first of next month.

Comment

I am a small-framed woman and not as generously endowed as your wife; and, admittedly, I hunt with a shotgun, not a bow. However, when I go hunting, I wear a tight fitting sports bra to help mitigate any interference from my lady parts. The additional “perkiness” I get from the added support doesn’t hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                    For those that need images to see how she is standing and where the string lies, here they are.
                    I'm not a coach or anything special.

From looking at the pictures it might be a form issue.
                    On the back picture of appears her head is tilted to the front and right shoulder.
                    When I start having issues it's generally a form issue.
                    I do like she looks to be doing.
                    I bring my face to the bow, not the bow to my face. I bring the boys to my face and it squares up my shoulders. In essence raising my bow hand.
                    Don't know if that will help her out or not

Comment

Square up feet and shoulders, shorten draw maybe a little bit, stand straight up and down. By the pic she appears to be leaning back some.

What range is that at?

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                        Square up feet and shoulders, shorten draw maybe a little bit, stand straight up and down. By the pic she appears to be leaning back some.

What range is that at?
                        It is Cowtown Bowmen. I am the Lead Range Capt and my wife is a Range Capt as well.

Comment

Leaning back to me

Comment

My .2 cents after working with younger shooters, horizontal inconsistency is usually caused by draw length or extended arm (her left) shifts. Newer shooters tend to either lock out or relax too much between shots causing the movement. A bow with a soft back wall will only make it worse.

Comment

Looks like she could put a little more weight forward. My wife had a similar problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X