Time for adult arrows....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
    Please don’t misrepresent my position. A quick search will produced COUNTLESS posts in which I advocate shooting arrows in the 475-500 grain range for NA species not just deer. I post specs on all my builds and it’s not coincidental that most fall into that range of total weight. I have some on the bench right now that are 480 so I don’t really know what you are talking about. I have no issue with guys shooting what they want, I just have issue with condescending remarks that are just a way of throwing shade on good work people are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't wait to fling those. [emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      Please don’t misrepresent my position. A quick search will produced COUNTLESS posts in which I advocate shooting arrows in the 475-500 grain range for NA species not just deer. I post specs on all my builds and it’s not coincidental that most fall into that range of total weight. I have some on the bench right now that are 480 so I don’t really know what you are talking about. I have no issue with guys shooting what they want, I just have issue with condescending remarks that are just a way of throwing shade on good work people are doing.

If you perceived my post as condescending, I apologize. But this heavy, high foc arrow deal has come into vogue in the last few years. I completely agree with this mindset on larger, tougher animals. I simply believe from my experience on whitetails that it is not necessary. In my opinion, mid-weight arrows and flat trajectory are a lot more beneficial to whitetail hunters. Whitetails are not that tough.

Comment

Shafts and field tip test kit came in today. Going to have my bow adjusted back to 70 lbs on Monday, then will paper test all the variations of 200, 225, 250, 275, and 300 grain field tips against my 250 and 300 spine arrows. The best combination will get ordered once I decide on a broadhead (so I know the weight of my insert + broadhead matches the tested field tip)

Im not gonna lie... I’m pretty excited to get my new arrows set up and get the bow re-tuned.
        I’m sure I will have to adjust the bow some, with the adjustments in draw weight and arrow weight changes. I figure I will paper test (and walk back tune) a few of the arrows before fletching them to get the bow tuned up, then nock tune, then fletch, then broadhead tune.

I am considering picking up a blob target and dedicating a set of broadheads to target shooting as the season nears, so there’s no change between practice and field performance at all.

Comment

Blobs are freeking awesome!

Comment

Started paper tuning today. I ran both my 250 spine, and 300 spine shafts through the Ethics Archery field point test pack.

PSE Decree HD at 70lbs with a 27“ draw (27.75” arrow)Black eagle Carnivore arrows with standard insert and nock.

The “grains” listed below is field point weight, not arrow weight.

300 spine shot nock-low throughout the entire weight range. The 250 spine started out shooting nock slightly high and right, but centered nicely at the 300gr field point.

Ranch Fairy’s recommendation is to nock tune the 250 shaft with the 300gr tip and see if I can get it shooting completely clean punches.

I have an insert weight kit coming on Thursday, and will continue going up the weight scale and see what my bow likes and doesn’t like up to probably 400gr in the front. At this point, it looks like the 250 spine will end up being my go-to, probably with 300gr total up front weight... unless a higher weight shoots better once the weight kit arrives. If that’s what I go with, that would put me at 612.3 grains total arrow weight with 21.7% FOC with feathers and glory nicks. A fair bit different than my 447.5 grain total arrow weight I’m shooting now. I also hope to find a heavier weight combination that shoots as well as the 300gr tip currently does so I can test the 612 grain arrow against the heavier one trajectory wise.

I’m already shooting higher at 20 yards with the heavy setup at 70lbs than I was with the 447.5 grain setup at 60lbs. That’s a good sign this won’t all screw me up.

Comment

Do you know what the tears in the paper are telling you?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                Do you know what the tears in the paper are telling you?

I do. Hard to get a good pic, but it is easier to see the field tip hole vs the shaft tear in person.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  I do. Hard to get a good pic, but it is easier to see the field tip hole vs the shaft tear in person.

What are the tears telling you?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                    #1: I would get your bow and arrow tuned properly. Lack of penetration from tuning issues will get you know matter how much arrow mass weight you shoot.

#2: I wouldn’t be scared of a whitetail shoulder w/ 480 grains.

#3: With a short draw of 27”, you can build high FOC arrows with relative ease.

#4: For my hunting purposes, I would try to balance your arrow mass weight to speed ratio. I.E. shoot the heaviest arrow that you can within your own arrow trajectory limits.
                    Bingo, great advise. A lot of penetration issues are from poor arrow flight. Don’t shoot at moving animals, is another thing I won’t do. No matter what’s on his head. If your going to shoot adult arrows why stop at 600, 700, 800 gr. ( and I’ve seen them stopped short) I mean if your building an “ adult” arrow to shoot through everything ( never going to happen) why not 1000-1500 gr.
                    Last edited by critter69; 02-18-2020, 09:02 PM.

Comment

You are going to need a lot of weight forward for those 250's with your draw length, start at about 125 grains and work though your 275-300 tips.

Comment

I’m not quite sure about those tears. They do not look clean to me.
                        Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        Started paper tuning today. I ran both my 250 spine, and 300 spine shafts through the Ethics Archery field point test pack.

PSE Decree HD at 70lbs with a 27“ draw (27.75” arrow)Black eagle Carnivore arrows with standard insert and nock.

The “grains” listed below is field point weight, not arrow weight.

300 spine shot nock-low throughout the entire weight range. The 250 spine started out shooting nock slightly high and right, but centered nicely at the 300gr field point.

Ranch Fairy’s recommendation is to nock tune the 250 shaft with the 300gr tip and see if I can get it shooting completely clean punches.

I have an insert weight kit coming on Thursday, and will continue going up the weight scale and see what my bow likes and doesn’t like up to probably 400gr in the front. At this point, it looks like the 250 spine will end up being my go-to, probably with 300gr total up front weight... unless a higher weight shoots better once the weight kit arrives. If that’s what I go with, that would put me at 612.3 grains total arrow weight with 21.7% FOC with feathers and glory nicks. A fair bit different than my 447.5 grain total arrow weight I’m shooting now. I also hope to find a heavier weight combination that shoots as well as the 300gr tip currently does so I can test the 612 grain arrow against the heavier one trajectory wise.

I’m already shooting higher at 20 yards with the heavy setup at 70lbs than I was with the 447.5 grain setup at 60lbs. That’s a good sign this won’t all screw me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                          I’m not quite sure about those tears. They do not look clean to me.

Oh, I’m not done..
                          I’m not going to fully paper tune to a specific setup until I find which spine/weight combination wants to behave the most to start with. I am awaiting a set of insert weights to continue going up the weight range.

The holes shown in the pictures above are me not adjusting the bow at all. It is simply to see what arrows and tip weights behave best in my bow, with my form. Once I decide on a setup, I will paper tune to that specific setup.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                            Bingo, great advise. A lot of penetration issues are from poor arrow flight. Don’t shoot at moving animals, is another thing I won’t do. No matter what’s on his head. If your going to shoot adult arrows why stop at 600, 700, 800 gr. ( and I’ve seen them stopped short) I mean if your building an “ adult” arrow to shoot through everything ( never going to happen) why not 1000-1500 gr.

As stated above in my original response to his post. My previous setup was paper tuned and walk back tuned to a clean bare-shaft bullet hole. Tuning wasn’t the issue.

Th main issue with that setup was that I was WAY underspined with a 400 spine shaft. I was definitely shooting a limp noodle. I got full broadhead pass through, but not full arrow pass through. It clipped 2 ribs on the way in, and another 2 on the way out.
                            I would consider that “decent” performance, and the buck went down in 80 yards. I’d rather have a blow through setup than a decent setup. And, I want it correctly spined this time.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                              Don’t shoot at moving animals, is another thing I won’t do.
                              Except just about every animal is moving by the time the arrow gets there

Comment

Limp noodle...Ha!

Itll be interesting to see the difference in your previous setup momentum and new arrow setup momentum.

Good luck on the tuning hokey pokey Ikeman...I hope the new system is an al dente killer.

Comment

Working...
                                X