No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel Ammo for Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been successful with 123 gr SST's. They do a lot of damage and the animal never goes far HOWEVER more often than not there is no exit wound so there is very little if any blood trail.

Comment

The Fusion are what we use. I'm with Low Fence on the SST bullets. I have had 3 Grendel's and I could not get them to group in any off them.

Comment

6.5 Grendel Ammo for Deer

I shoot 123 SSTs out of my 12.5” SBR. It shoots them sub-moa and performs great on animals. I’ve killed a few hundred hogs, several coyotes, and two or three does with it.

I tried the black 123 eld-m and Federal fusions at one point. The eld-m Blacks were accurate, but didn’t seem to perform quite as well on hogs. Federal fusions performed well, but weren’t quite as accurate out of my rifle.
        Last edited by Raider4044; 09-16-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

We’ve had great luck with the SSTs. Never tried the others, though I do have some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
            I use the Hornady 123grain SST for pigs. Treats em pretty rough. Would not hesitate to use that round on a deer.
            More than 50 hogs and a few deer with these for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

We load the 100gr Barnes TTSX in my sons and it gets it done

Comment

So, just like any rifle you gotta do some spearminting and fond out what YOUR rifle likes, and what performs best for YOU! Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                  So, just like any rifle you gotta do some spearminting and fond out what YOUR rifle likes, and what performs best for YOU! Correct?
                  Yup exactly but asking for tips on what others have had luck with can give you a good starting point and save some money.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
                    With an AR??

Yes sir, Grendel Hunter upper with a 20” barrel. Topped it with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3x15. Sub MOA groups all day. I ring steel all the way to 650 yards, but the foot pounds of energy are really low out there, <700 ft lbs. Somewhere between 400-425 yards it drops below 1,000 ft lbs, so I make my max kill shot with the 6.5 Grendel 350 yards. If I anticipate something beyond 350 yards, I’ll take my .300 Win Mag.

Same as others have said on here, I built it for my wife and daughter but it shoots so sweet that I use it more than they ever will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I primarily shoot the black 123gr eld-m and have had wonderful results with should shots on deer. I have also shot an axis doe with a fusion and it did great as well but the blacks shoot better.

The SST's shot terrible and i mean terrible, like 8-12" group terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                        Yup exactly but asking for tips on what others have had luck with can give you a good starting point and save some money.
                        Yeah I agree but You(I) still have a lot of fun and satisfaction testin out a lotta stuff.

Comment

120 gr Nosler ballistic tip in my bolt action CZ. Awesome results.

Comment

Like the others. Ive shot a few deer the last couple years with 123SST from an AR. I may try another bullet next year as there has yet to be an exit and 2 deer ran off about 50yds in deep brush. I like to see some blood to follow. Shot a fair number of hogs too, but i dont care so much if i cant find them

Comment

Interested in this as well. I plan to use mine for the first time this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
                                120 gr Nosler ballistic tip in my bolt action CZ. Awesome results.
                                I have some of these but haven't loaded them because the factory black's shoot super good and have done exactly what i needed them too.

Comment

Working...
                                X