6.5 Grendel Ammo for Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel Ammo for Deer

Any TBHers us their 6.5 grendel for deer hunting?? I was wondering what ammo people are using to hunt deer and hogs as well I guess. Thanks for the input.

Fusion is what my daughter shoots. It’s absolutely devastating!!! NOT meat friendly, but there’s a lot of insurance in them

Comment

I use the Hornady 123grain SST for pigs. Treats em pretty rough. Would not hesitate to use that round on a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
        I use the Hornady 123grain SST for pigs. Treats em pretty rough. Would not hesitate to use that round on a deer.

Same here. At 238 yards I tagged a hog below his ear and it popped one of his eyes out of socket. I’m carrying it for deer this fall and won’t hesitate to reach out to 350 yards with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be using the 123gr SST for deer this season. It has knocked down a bunch of hogs for me, so I'm pretty sure it will work.

Comment

Grendel for deer?
            Of course. Hornady Black 123 gn sst or eld.
            I doubt if I’ll ever use any other caliber for deer.

Comment

Built a 6.5G for my son to shoot his first deer this season. I plan for him to use the 123 SST that others above mentioned. I built it for my son but I like it so much that I will be carrying it to the stand on occasion also. Its a tac driver.

Comment

123gr SSTs are deadly. Had the Fusions as well but haven't had a reason to try them yet.

Comment

I use the 123 grn SST for pigs, head shots work great!
                  I still have a pretty good stash of 123 grn Amax and prefer them over the SST on deer, they typically expand and pass thru.
                  SST's tend to do as designed I assume and fragment inside the deer, without a pass through, me being ole fashioned and hard to break old habits like to have a blood trail. Typically for me heart and lung shot they run and I like a little blood to follow.
                  Just my .02
                  Love me some Grendel!
                  Good luck to all!

Comment

Been using the Hornady Black 123 eld-m. Have shot several hogs, javi's and 1 deer (In Neck) and all have been DRT. Hogs were shot in shoulder as well as javi's. No Exit but they did not go anywhere.

Comment

I shoot 123 gr SST also never had anything get up !

Comment

We tested 14….14….1-4 grendel s built in every price range imaginable with SST. 1 a diamondback shot it very well 1”. Nothing else shot it better that 9” at 100. We weighed powder from a box and the tolerance looked like my 5yo did it with a measuring cup

They were the most highly recommended, but we couldn’t rely on them

Black ammo- shoot great from all guns. I shot several pigs and recovered all even some I had to shoot twice. In 100% of ANIMALS, I had what I considered bullet failure. They vaporized on impact. Smaller pigs would have 3+ exits. A medium pig was shot in shoulder and broke his knee where 1/3 bullet exited. There was gum wrapper looking metal smeared everywhere. Shoot great, but I don’t trust them to hunt with

Just my experience

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post
                          Same here. At 238 yards I tagged a hog below his ear and it popped one of his eyes out of socket. I’m carrying it for deer this fall and won’t hesitate to reach out to 350 yards with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          With an AR??

Comment

Awesome thanks for the input!!
                            Does anyone shot the 6.5 grendel in a Ruger American Ranch model?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              We tested 14….14….1-4 grendel s built in every price range imaginable with SST. 1 a diamondback shot it very well 1”. Nothing else shot it better that 9” at 100. We weighed powder from a box and the tolerance looked like my 5yo did it with a measuring cup

They were the most highly recommended, but we couldn’t rely on them

Black ammo- shoot great from all guns. I shot several pigs and recovered all even some I had to shoot twice. In 100% of ANIMALS, I had what I considered bullet failure. They vaporized on impact. Smaller pigs would have 3+ exits. A medium pig was shot in shoulder and broke his knee where 1/3 bullet exited. There was gum wrapper looking metal smeared everywhere. Shoot great, but I don’t trust them to hunt with

Just my experience
                              Thats odd. Mine shoots them sub MOA. And it is NOT a fancy/high dollar built rig.
                              Maybe I just got lucky

Comment

Working...
                              X