No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot a 450 bushmaster AR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine really liked the Hornady FTX 250g rounds too. I did put a cheap recoil pad on the butt.

Don't think it'll be as bad as your 45-70.

Comment

A friend of mine up here bought a 450 Bushmaster not long after they first came out specifically for when he goes down south killing hogs. I have never shot it but he said they definitely do not get away after being hit by it!

Comment

I have a 450 in an AR pistol, thing is a beast. 9'' barrel is only good to about 150 max but the round itself is gnarly. You wont have to worry about tracking much down lol they'll be in the dirt before they knew what hit'em.

Comment

So..if I go with the 450..same lower..but different mags? It already sounds like 250 grain Hornady is the way to go..in factory ammo....

Comment

I’ve had mine for years. LOVE IT! Use it for anything inside 200 yds. ANYTHING hit by it does not go very far, usually it’s bang-flop-dead! I would put the recoil about the same as a 20 gauge out of my 18” barrel Remington R15. 250 gr Hornady FTX seems to be the best all around bullet for this round, cost is not bad per round about $1.00 each, if you reload even better. Buy it you won’t be disappointed! Happy hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by Keg View Post
              I’m hearing the 450 has less problems than the 458 overall....

The straight wall case of the 450BM will potentially be less problematic for reloading but the bullet selection is 1/3 of what is available for the 458 Socom.

There are expanding subsonic rounds for the 458. Since the bushmaster uses pistol bullets you may have a lower expansion velocity threshold but you will be limited to 250 grains or less which will give you energy comparable to a 45ACP.

You can get up to 600 grain bullets for the 458 so the energy will be much higher at subsonic velocities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                The straight wall case of the 450BM will potentially be less problematic for reloading but the bullet selection is 1/3 of what is available for the 458 Socom.

There are expanding subsonic rounds for the 458. Since the bushmaster uses pistol bullets you may have a lower expansion velocity threshold but you will be limited to 250 grains or less which will give you energy comparable to a 45ACP.

You can get up to 600 grain bullets for the 458 so the energy will be much higher at subsonic velocities.

Wait...what? Energy of a 45 acp?? Ok..subsonic.... I don’t run subsonic....

Comment

I'm not really sure where the '450 Bushmaster uses pistol bullets' comes from. If the implication is that it is some how inferior because it uses 0.452" bullets-traditionally a pistol caliber- this really isn't true. My Savage muzzleloader uses this size bullet too, and I have no problem finding appropriate bullets to shove down that barrel.

The 450 Bushmaster Hornady 250 grain FTX, for example, uses the same bullet I can buy & use in my muzzleloader, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe 0.452 vrs 0.458 might matter if you are a hard core reloader, but it means nothing to me or probably anybody else who doesn't reload.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                    I'm not really sure where the '450 Bushmaster uses pistol bullets' comes from. If the implication is that it is some how inferior because it uses 0.452" bullets-traditionally a pistol caliber- this really isn't true. My Savage muzzleloader uses this size bullet too, and I have no problem finding appropriate bullets to shove down that barrel.

The 450 Bushmaster Hornady 250 grain FTX, for example, uses the same bullet I can buy & use in my muzzleloader, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe 0.452 vrs 0.458 might matter if you are a hard core reloader, but it means nothing to me or probably anybody else who doesn't reload.

So what you’re saying there’s only 1 high velocity Bullet available for the bushmaster? [emoji16]

Yes the vast majority of .451/.452 diameter bullets are for pistols and their lower velocities. I suppose you could use the 240 and 300 grain XTP Mag bullets IF you handload.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      So what you’re saying there’s only 1 high velocity Bullet available for the bushmaster? [emoji16]

Yes the vast majority of .451/.452 diameter bullets are for pistols and their lower velocities. I suppose you could use the 240 and 300 grain XTP Mag bullets IF you handload.

If you hand load, there are multiple heavy bullets intended for cartridges such as the 454 Casull. I remember multiple 300 gr. and some 350 gr., I think even heavier than that, but that's really pushing the upper limit, from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                        450 BM going to have better ballistics and a little faster.
                        All of my ballistic info says the 458 SOCOM spits the same weight bullet out the same length barrel faster, not a lot faster, but the SOCOM is faster.

Comment

The basics on the 450 Bushmaster and the 458 SOCOM are the 450 Bushmaster basically shoots bullets intended for hand guns, so they are a bit lighter, likely have a little thinner jacketing. Then the 450 Bushmaster with it's straight wall case should have less problems with reloading and feeding. But most guys get the 458s to work very well. With the 458s you have a little large case capacity, not much but larger, because of the larger diameter case. The 458 shoots 458 diameter bullets typically intended for cartridges such as the 45-70. But guys shoot bullets intended for 458 Win. Mags out of the SOCOMs, really kind of a waste of time, other than to say your gun shoots 500 gr., 600 gr. or 700 gr. bullets. The lighter of the 458 bullets that I know of are 300 gr., the 325 gr. and 350 gr. Then the old 405 gr. bullets popular for the 45-70 for a long time. The jacketing on most of the 458 caliber bullets should be a bit heavier to a lot heavier, depending on the bullet and it's intended use. Stuff intended for a 45-70, will be a little heaver than 451 caliber bullets intended for a 454 Casull. Which can be good and bad. Really at the velocities of a 16" barrel 450 Bushmaster, bullets intended for a 454 Casull, should work very well, more so on lighter game like Texas whitetails. The heavier bullets intended for calibers like a 454 Casull, should work on some pretty large game out of a 450 Bushmaster. I know guys have killed about everything that walks on the face of the earth with 454 Casulls and the 450 Bushmaster does not spit bullets much faster than the 454 Casull hand guns.
                          The lighter 300 to 350 gr. bullets from a 458 SOCOM should work great for whitetails to mule deer, black bears, ect. Things in the elk to moose size, probably would be best to use the 405 gr. bullets out of a SOCOM.

One last thing, I am not familiar with, with the 450 Bushmaster but suspect, is I would bet with a 450 Bushmaster, you should be able to fit more rounds in the same length magazine than a 458 SOCOM. With the SOCOMs large case diameter, you can not get may rounds in the magazine, I think something like 9 or 11 for what would normally be a 30 5.56 magazine. If that is a factor for you. Not really a factor for me, since I only use my guns for hunting.

Comment

With mine there has been 5 different people kill deer with it. If I remember right that is 15 deer. Only one was shot at more than once and that was my neighbor. From 0-200 it is very effective.

Comment

When I shop for ammo for my 450 Bushmaster, I see loads that use the same bullets that I'm already using in my muzzleloader and 20 gauge slug gun - 250 & 260 grain bullets that I have complete confidence in, having taken many head of game with them. I see none that have a bullet obviously made for handgun velocities. Maybe the bullets you can buy to reload 450 Bushmaster were made for a handgun, but the loaded rounds I see don't have these bullets.

I have currently only tried one 450 Bushmaster load (Hornady 250 gr FTX), but when you get 1" groups at 100 yards with it, do you really keep looking? I have taken deer with this same bullet at about the same velocity with very good results. The Hornady FTX line has the bullet bonded to the jacket, unlike the Hornady XTP or SST, which can separate. I have recovered the jacket from a 0.452" 250 grain XTP that did a very good job of killing one of my biggest bucks. Never found the bullet, but results were: Bang, Flop - which really is pretty typical for this bullet traveling at 2200 - 2300 fps.

And really, how many .45 caliber AR15 rounds are going to be around in 10 years?

All you guys who live in Texas don't have to give a thought to the hole 'straight walled cartridge' thing.

But in case you missed it, (I don't blame you if you did) there are a bunch of northern states that have not allowed centerfire rifles for deer hunting - shotguns & muzzleloaders only. More & more of these states (not mine yet, of course) have realized that there are some centerfire rounds that are very similar to the shotgun slugs and muzzleloader loads that are already in use. Why not let the peasants use those? And so many are, most defining it as 'straight wall cartridges' are OK.

So with that in mind, I feel like the 450 Bushmaster will be the winner in the '45 caliber AR15 round' contest. Since it does work in the AR15 and in the states that are allowing straight walled cartridges. Also, Savage & Ruger have thrown their hats in the 450 Bushmaster ring by offering bolt action rifles in this caliber - may as well take advantage of those northern states right.

Finally, when I shop for 450 SOCOM ammo, I see that is mostly offer bullets what weigh a lot more than I need and that it costs 1.5 to 2X as much as the 450 BM.

I can see why you guys handload for it.

Comment

I need to get dies for mine

Comment

Working...
                                X