Pencil sharpener taper tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pencil sharpener taper tool

They've got these pencil sharpener taper tools that works just like a regular razor pencil sharpener except that the clearance matches the diameter of your arrow, and the blade is angled at 11º or 5º. They're more expensive than they ought to be since they aren't much more complicated.

But why hasn't anybody invented a taper tool that's similar to a hand crank pencil sharpener??? I mean the design would be exactly the same except that the angle of the cut would be different, and the infeed hole would be more precise. That's all! And it would be so much easier to taper our arrows. And it shouldn't cost more than maybe $15 since you can get the pencil sharpener version for $10.

Will somebody please invent this thing?

Economics 101 on the price and the demand.... unfortunately.

Comment

no reason you could not modify one...

Comment

Hey, I just found out through googling around that some of these hand cranked pencil sharpeners cut an 11º taper. The question now is whether an arrow would fit in them. You could probably just make an 11/16" infeed hole and glue it on there.

Comment

Originally posted by moreammo View Post
          no reason you could not modify one...
          I don't know how you could modify the angle of the cut, though.

Comment

hmmm. shift the blade?

would have to tear one a part but maybe you could use the cranking mechanism and swp out the blade or move the blade so it cuts the correct angle?

time to see if craigslist has one of these bad boys

Done... $5 on old bee caves rd... http://austin.craigslist.org/for/4972985061.html

i may just consider that

Comment

I have/had one laying around in my garage. They are 2 rotating, tapered, drill bits that are geared together (best I can describe it.) I imagine the angle is determined by how much the drill bit/grinder is tapered and not so much on any other adjustability.

Comment

ah... well that settles that lol

Comment

You got to have a friend archer that has a cc machine . Change out the blades so they cut the correct angles and then find a man from china to produce them. Lol Arvin wish I had one

Comment

Looked it up. I guess the geared "drill bit" isn't actually tapered, just spread out at an angle. You can't change the angle without machining a different shaft, but depending on the angle, you might be able to do that.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Back when I used to shoot wood arrows, I have sat in my shop and stared at my electric pencil sharpener, and wondered why someone had not made one for tapering wood arrow shafts!

Bisch

Comment

It's an excellent idea but maybe no has made one because it might have a patent on it ,but I would buy one if they sold one arrows.

Comment

But if like Sam said they do make one at the proper angle 11 degrees I think he said... you'd be down to just making rhe feed hole correct... I think we can do this

Comment

I can't find any that do anything close to 5º, though. :-(

These sharpeners have been around so long, I'm skeptical that any one person holds the patent anymore. Don't they expire after a certain amount of time? And considering the fact that several different companies make pencil sharpeners of this same design without being sued, it probably wouldn't be a problem if somebody wanted to make one for arrows.

Comment

The nock taper and the point taper are different angles. You would need one for each.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X